Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
luvatenor
Another newbie question-In adjusting the shift rod, after installing new bushings, many people say to go to the transmission end and put the transmission in either 2nd or 3rd gear, before tightening the shift lever crimp bolt. How does one know where these gears are at the transmission? Everything looks the same when I move the lever.-Thanks Rolf
etcmss
QUOTE(luvatenor @ Dec 22 2009, 04:04 AM) *

Another newbie question-In adjusting the shift rod, after installing new bushings, many people say to go to the transmission end and put the transmission in either 2nd or 3rd gear, before tightening the shift lever crimp bolt. How does one know where these gears are at the transmission? Everything looks the same when I move the lever.-Thanks Rolf

Do you have the linkage installed?
With the linkage installed---select 2nd or 3rd gear and adjust for vertical alignment of shifter and the clearance on each side is OK. Tighten the bolt on the shifter and then select 4th or 5th then reverse-1st----no impact to tunnel.

If you go the search options at the top of the page----put in shift adjustment----you will find this subject--
I had this one a while back and it was shifter hitting the tuneel.
Cevan
I found it helpful to remove the rear tunnel access panel, grab a 13mm socket with extension and a pair of vice grips and go for a drive. Using the vicegrips to hold the rod rod in place thru the access panel, you can loosen the pinch bolt, adjust the shifter, tighten, and drive. Usually after 3-4 adjustments, I've got it perfect.
Gint
Check out this thread. In particular, post #6

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80530&

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.