Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermostat Pulley thing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
Well I apparently overtightened the bolt for the thermostat pulley thing and it snapped off leaving the majority of the bolt in the threads. headbang.gif I had planned on just carefully drilling it out but that was before i realized that's is a PITA to get to with a drill.. Any tips or anything would help..
type47
Right angle drill might give more/better access? You can get a cheap 18V Ryobi RAD at the local home improvement store.
Mark Henry
If it broke off below the head it's not in there tight so a regular drill bit will screw it right into the case. You need to get a set of left hand drill bits.

Oh and next time keep the gorilla away from the engine.
jsayre914
Not totally sure, but i think that is a through bolt, so you want to be real careful there or you will have a permanent oil drain on your case.

use caution
McMark
Yup, it goes all the way through. You could try a Dremel with those tiny brown cutting wheels to make a groove in it then try a screwdriver. It shouldn't be in there too tight.
underthetire
Left handed drill and one of these
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/...l&Submit=Go
buhs914
cool! thanks guys! and i've taken it out before and i don't think it's a through bolt. It's too far in to do the screwdriver thing but thanks anyway. I guess i'll have to head to the store. and that freakin gorilla tend to cause me alot of issues haha
DNHunt
It is a through bolt. Is there any sticking out of the case. You maybe able to cut a slot in it and back it out with a small slotted screw driver.

Dave
Katmanken
A through bolt means it extends into the engine case and prevents oil from coming out of the inside of the motor.

Take care drilling it out or you might dump a bunch of metal chips into your engine oil..... barf.gif barf.gif

That could lead to exciting noises and motor carnage later..... wacko.gif
buhs914
none of the bolt is sticking out so i can't do the dremmel thing. I wish i could though haha. I'll just grease the bit before i drill to prevent the metal chip issues.. i could've been mistaken when i removed it last, i did have the oil drained so it would make sense if no oil came out. thanks again guys
Cevan
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 22 2009, 11:07 AM) *

Yup, it goes all the way through. You could try a Dremel with those tiny brown cutting wheels to make a groove in it then try a screwdriver. It shouldn't be in there too tight.

The bolt that holds my thermostat pulley is not a thru bolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.