Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porterfield R4S Brake Squeal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bluhun
[font=Arial][size=7]

I'm running the Porterfield R4S street pads front and rear (Boxster calipers and rotors up front, with widened 914 rear calipers and 20 mm vented and cross-drilled rotors), and they squeal like a Banshee! I'm running the anti-squeal shims and we've tried the Wurth anti-squeal treatment, but to no avail. Is there any tried and true cure for this malady or is this just par for the course with carbon-kevlar pads?
ChrisFoley
I think its common with carbon/kevlar pads. Its hard to get them hot enough in a street application. They grip pretty well cold but still aren't at their best.
I just installed some KFP Magnum street pads in my white car and they started squealing almost right away. I'm hoping that once I properly bed them in they won't be quite so noisy.
The race pads I took out were awesome in terms of performance but almost always made noise as soon as the car was below 30mph.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(bluhun @ Dec 23 2009, 06:11 PM) *

[font=Arial][size=7]

I'm running the Porterfield R4S street pads front and rear (Boxster calipers and rotors up front, with widened 914 rear calipers and 20 mm vented and cross-drilled rotors), and they squeal like a Banshee! I'm running the anti-squeal shims and we've tried the Wurth anti-squeal treatment, but to no avail. Is there any tried and true cure for this malady or is this just par for the course with carbon-kevlar pads?

I use the same porterfields and get small squeel when very slow stopping only, when they heat up you can feel the grip really improve.. when you need them to really work hard they are there for you.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bluhun @ Dec 23 2009, 09:11 PM) *

...squeal like a Banshee! I'm running the anti-squeal shims and we've tried the Wurth anti-squeal treatment, but to no avail. Is there any tried and true cure for this malady or is this just par for the course with carbon-kevlar pads?

I wouldn't mind a bit of squeal if I had some because if I'm braking, it's usually because someone clueless and oblivious isn't paying attention...

The tried-and-true cure is: brake deeper!

I'm running R4S on the Titan with cryo-treated (but stock-sized) slotted frozen Rotors. No noises... The Titan is sometimes viewed as having marginal braking for its weight and power, and this combination definitely improves that.

It _is_ possible to have too much brake, just as it's possible to have too much tire, if you can't get them into their operating ranges. And you might be experiencing a bit of glazing as well, especially if they weren't broken in per the recommendations...

There's 2 schools of thought on anti-squeal goo, and since I've never used the Würth I don't know which it is. But you either try to stick the pad to the piston so it can't vibrate, or you lubricate the back so that when it does vibrate, there is no friction to make noise. I've had best luck with the "lubricate" method so that's what I use. I use a LIGHT smear of LubroMoly copper-based LM508 anti-sieze on the back of each pad.

If the Würth product is a 'stick-it' product, try the lubrication approach. If it's a lubrication product, try one of the 'stick-it' methods.

Brake harder and let 'em get hot...
ConeDodger
I have the R4S pads at all four corners of both the 914 and my Carrera. I have had no squeaks or squeals at all. As they are street pads, there really isn't a warm up to work issue that I have noticed. They are simply the best brakes I have ever had on the car.

I used newly rebuilt calipers from PMB and sprayed the back with sticky anti-squeal.
tat2dphreak
I have the R4S pads at all four corners of both the 914 and my Carrera. I have had no squeaks or squeals at all. As they are street pads, there really isn't a warm up to work issue that I have noticed. They are simply the best brakes I have ever had on the car.

I used newly rebuilt calipers from PMB and sprayed the back with sticky anti-squeal.

agree.gif

my R4S pads never squeaked, when they were brand new I did a couple "emergency stops" on them and they have been spot-on ever since, I used the anti-squeal goo too...
r_towle
From my understanding, brake squeal is not from the pads but from the vibration that occurs when the pads are applied...the squeak is actually from the metal on metal contact of the backer plate of the pads to the caliper.

I have had luck getting rid of the squeak on fresh pads by sand blasting the areas that the pad touches the caliper so its really clean.

Ashamed to admit by I also apply grease to the area that the metal on metal contact happens to attempt to keep if from rusting right up again...

Rich
iamchappy
I had some squeal on mine when using solid rotors but when i replaced the rotors with
slotted they stopped, now there as quit as can be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.