Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 aluminum crossmember?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
I wanted to ask if the 911 aluminum crossmember would fit my stock 914 suspension? how can i make it fit? do i need the arms also??
TravisNeff
As far as I know the crossmember will fit just fine with your 914 A-arms and adjusters. Some say they flex a bunch and the weight savings that far low in the chassis doesn't bring a lot of return.
turnaround89
Ive had a 1987 911 carrera suspension on the front of my 914 and have loved it more than the old 914 suspension. I haven't noticed any flex. Should bolt right up, no problems at all, really simple install!!
sww914
It will fit right in but you need the bolts from the 911 for the X member and the steering rack because the aluminum is thicker. Probably the least important area of the car to lose weight.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 24 2009, 02:23 AM) *

...Some say they flex a bunch and the weight savings that far low in the chassis doesn't bring a lot of return.

I wouldn't say they flex 'a bunch.' But they aren't as stiff as the steel ones. Tradeoffs. If you've got a track car that runs slicks and placing lots of stress it will contribute to a certain vagueness where you're looking for repeatable precision.

For a street car or street-tire AX car it's less clear. Losing weight down low doesn't buy you as much as weight up high, but weight is weight, and you still have to accelerate it and brake it.

Porsche originally went to the aluminum crossmember in part because saving every gram was important when they made the Carrera RS - but also because they were cheaper to make a single casting than a steel weldment. They used the aluminum crossmember in the lightweight RS's - and then went back to the steel ones for the RSRs.

So it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to replace a bent or rusted steel piece and found an aluminum part cheap - go for it. If you're looking at weight reduction as a benefit, it couldn't hurt. If you're thinking it'll be the be the ultimate upgrade - maybe not.

If you go that way and don't like it, there is no lack of steel ones to replace it with...
ClayPerrine
I have one because they are cool....... shades.gif
Eric_Shea
I was going to do it but read a bit more and got my head out of it.

If there's any place I could use a little weight (in both the 914 and the 911) it's there.
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 24 2009, 10:09 AM) *

I was going to do it but read a bit more and got my head out of it.

No comment ..... smoke.gif
zymurgist
Do I really have to say this?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 24 2009, 10:48 AM) *

IPB Image
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 24 2009, 01:48 PM) *

you've been around 911's and 914's how long ?

zymurgist
Sorry guys, the only thing that comes to mind is the engine bar.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 24 2009, 01:59 PM) *

Sorry guys, the only thing that comes to mind is the engine bar.

just for you, in the spirit of the holidays...
zymurgist
Thanks! I was having a hard time picturing it, what with my car being 1000 miles away I couldn't run out to the garage and look.

Hope you're enjoying some of that pulled pork for Christmas. chowtime.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 24 2009, 02:53 PM) *

Hope you're enjoying some of that pulled pork for Christmas.

Actually, tomorrow we are doing a pork Wellington...
budman5201
Thanks guys....actually the real reason is that i have coolant lines that right now run through center tunnel and under the stock crossmember. I was going to utilize this aluminum crossmember and cut holes through it for the lines to run through instead of underneath. (obviously tig welding in some reinforcements also)

Trying to make everything cleaner and look like it was made like that way from factory.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Dec 24 2009, 02:38 PM) *

Actually, tomorrow we are going to pork Wellington...

Who is Wellington and does he know about this??? gayfight.gif poke.gif

(Yea, I edited the quote... but that's how I read it at first.....)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.