Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT VW trike plans ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
A friend of mine has a hard on to build a vw trike. He has no internet, and all I can find are sites with a ton of info, that quite frankly, I am not going to waste the paper and ink to print out 100 pages of b.s. for him. Does anyone here happen to have a set of plans you could copy for me to give him? I also found a guy that sells a nice set of plans on cd for $50.00 BUT Dave doesn't even have a computer so that's worthless to him too.
scotty b
On a side note I ran across this while looking. Looks like fun

aktion035.gif

http://ecomodder.com/blog/volkswagen-gx3-r...oncept-vehicle/

Rand
That is the only type of trike I would drive. The reverse design handles 1000% better.
Mark Henry
I've worked on quite a few. I've never seen one that, IMO, didn't suck.

I rather drive this pile
IPB Image
r_towle
try three wheeler.net or threewheeler.com...

Use google for three wheeler.
there is a pretty big site for all sorts of three wheeler plans.

Rich
Rand
I prefer even numbers when it comes to wheels. smile.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 24 2009, 04:49 PM) *

On a side note I ran across this while looking. Looks like fun

aktion035.gif

http://ecomodder.com/blog/volkswagen-gx3-r...oncept-vehicle/

happy11.gif

I've seen a few of the reverse-trike bikes that I really like smile.gif this one looks much better than those tho! great find.
poorsche914
Here are pics of a Porsche powered trike... w00t.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
tat2dphreak
I'd like to tell that owner "That is really COOL!"

but he would never hear me, having gone deaf long ago
Rand
I hate it when people do something only for looks when it's the wrong thing to do for performance. Different length intake tubes? No air filters? Brilliant.
scotty b
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 29 2009, 03:27 PM) *

These guys built it.

http://www.phoenixtrikeworks.com/home/index.htm
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 29 2009, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 29 2009, 03:27 PM) *

These guys built it.

http://www.phoenixtrikeworks.com/home/index.htm

WOW
charliew
I have been promising my two old friends that I would build some vw three wheelers that would use the vw auto transaxle for several years but all the stuff is just waiting on me. A coupla years ago I guess I printed 100 pages of vw trikes to get a idea of what I like. At the austin rot rally a few years ago a young man had one that I liked pretty good but most of the suppliers had folded. The little 1600 vw with a mild cam and four equal length exhausts sounds pretty neat. I saw a threewheeler that was a 914 mid engined one in maryland with a neat tube frame and coil over shocks. The owner was Allen Weed.
Mark Henry
One of my customers has a trike, it's real cool looking, has won shows, but it's a trailer queen. rolleyes.gif
I never could understand building a car/bike just to win shows. If I can't drive it then WTF good is it?

I've been to so many shows in my life that now they really put me to yellowsleep[1].gif

rick 918-S
This is called a Quad but I think it's the most outragous trike like creature I have ever seen! drooley.gif

12 Cylinder BMW!

Click to view attachment

I could not figure out how to post the youtube video but scroll down the page at this link and check this think out in action!

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/topic...5.html#msg21535
jaxdream
QUOTE(charliew @ Dec 30 2009, 09:54 AM) *

I have been promising my two old friends that I would build some vw three wheelers that would use the vw auto transaxle for several years but all the stuff is just waiting on me. A coupla years ago I guess I printed 100 pages of vw trikes to get a idea of what I like. At the austin rot rally a few years ago a young man had one that I liked pretty good but most of the suppliers had folded. The little 1600 vw with a mild cam and four equal length exhausts sounds pretty neat. I saw a threewheeler that was a 914 mid engined one in maryland with a neat tube frame and coil over shocks. The owner was Allen Weed.

Yeah I have a 69 Squareback engine and auto transaxle , plus a clear home-built trike title in the state that I live in , just hasnt come together yet . Just gonna hang on to them , they not eating nor taking up a lot of room. That Audi 5000 transaxle in the automatic 914 gives me some ideas of a mid-engined trike, that would be cool as dirt!!
My $.02 ...

Jack / Jaxdream
charliew
Check out Bad Rabbit Trikes LLC in I think Sturgis KY. I hate to say it but I will probably copy a bunch of his design especially the rear suspension.

http://btw-trikers.org/uploads/photo_tw_ga...&category=A

found the bike from rot in austin.

http://btw-trikers.org/uploads/photo_tw_ga...&category=A
Rand
The TRex is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38TFetQAe2o
charliew
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 24 2009, 04:47 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
A friend of mine has a hard on to build a vw trike. He has no internet, and all I can find are sites with a ton of info, that quite frankly, I am not going to waste the paper and ink to print out 100 pages of b.s. for him. Does anyone here happen to have a set of plans you could copy for me to give him? I also found a guy that sells a nice set of plans on cd for $50.00 BUT Dave doesn't even have a computer so that's worthless to him too.
[/quote]

What about you let him look at the btw pictures and also the build pictures on their site and just print the few he likes? If he is a good fabber he can get a lot of info from the pict. If he wants simple he will probably need to pay for it.

I bought a threewheeler 50.00 cd and also a rorty cd from aussieland but it is a midengine motorcycle motor and tranny type dunebuggy setup. I mainly bought it for the suspension info.

Too me the simple bare minimum frame is the cleanest and it seems that most of the old guys like the swing arm with a limited travel for a easy simple build. It will have a little more weight than a fabbed link susp. but we really aren't trying to achieve formula one stuff in my case. The challenge for me is to not end up with a homemade look. One builder made a ladder type assembly table to keep things straight. Course he is building one after the other.

I think your friend should find the local vw three wheel guys and see what they have and feel them out for whats the best design.

For me the front end is the big question, I'm sure the leading link is probably the most reliable as to wobble but they seem ugly to me.
charliew
I just ordered one of these kits to give me some incentive to get started.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Oh yeah OT but while I was searching for threewheelers back in dec or early jan I picked up a trojan and it cost me big bucks that I'm still fighting at&t over. I stupidly have a wireless router that was not safegaurded and someone uploaded about 8 gigs of something or the trojan was doing it, and I was using a aircard and it just kept going till finally at&t turned it off. It took me about 8 days and another aircard to realize what was going on no thanks to at&t, when they turned it off they didn't say I had a 1400.00 bill. I didn't use the wireless part of the router on our desktops but I didn't have it turned off as it didn't seem to work very good on a laptop my wife brought home from work so I didn't think anyone else could be using it. At&t can't give me a IP addy of the computer that sent the uploads. The aircard is the fastest internet device available to me but I can't get by on only 5gs I'm pretty sure although for 8 months it was ok.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 30 2009, 11:15 PM) *

This is called a Quad but I think it's the most outragous trike like creature I have ever seen! drooley.gif

12 Cylinder BMW!

Click to view attachment

I could not figure out how to post the youtube video but scroll down the page at this link and check this think out in action!

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/topic...5.html#msg21535

Yummy, me like
rick 918-S
I had a claim with a guy that had a VW trike accident. He was missing his feet and was in a wheel chair. A car pulled out in front of him and he hit the brakes and put his feet on the ground like he was on a two wheeler. He ran over his own feet and tore them off.

You can have those rear wheel type trikes. I wouldn't be caught dead on one.
charliew
Thats kinda like saying I wouldn't drive a vw bus because I'm setting in front of the front wheels. Guys die all the time on two wheelers from one mistake or another. I have permanent hand nerve damage from having too much fun on a bike and that is just life. At least it was my left hand.
r_towle
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 10 2010, 01:19 PM) *

Thats kinda like saying I wouldn't drive a vw bus because I'm setting in front of the front wheels. Guys die all the time on two wheelers from one mistake or another. I have permanent hand nerve damage from having too much fun on a bike and that is just life. At least it was my left hand.

At least you can still have sex.

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 10 2010, 10:19 AM) *

At least I'd still have my feet. shades.gif smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Don't forget John Deere!

IPB Image

Zach
DanT
that looks a bit "top" heavy to me sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.