Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dual rear window glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
Since the NSX had a 2 pane rear window I was wondering if it would be worth it for the 914? I know the NSX has a vacuum in between to cut sound transmission that would be hard to create.
The 914 has the room on the "ledge" for 2 and a gap (5mm + 5mm + 5mm).

fire away fighting19.gif chatsmiley.gif smile.gif
McMark
I thought about this and never followed up. It would be great for sound deadening. I had some seat time in Jenny's car (which doesn't have a rear window) and it was LOUD. I'm game ($) if we can figure something out.
TheCabinetmaker
Any glass shop can get a insulated glass unit made in the thickness you request and in the shape you want if given a pattern to go by. Not sure if it would make any diff in the teen or not. The factory glass is about 5mm or 3/16". probably wouldn't give but 3 or 4mm of vacuum in between.
TheCabinetmaker
BTW, better have it tempered. You can also have it made from tinted glass. Should be easy.
bernbomb914
It should help with the heat transfer also and make the car cooler.

count me in if it is cost effective.

Bernie
TheCabinetmaker
I pay less than $100 bucks for a 4' X 4' insulated glass panel. Two peices of 1/4" plate with 1/2" space in between. Tempered is slightly higher. I have to order some tomorrow. I'll check with my supplier and see if it can be done and the cost.

Curt
Qarl
Isn't there a slight bend to the shape of the glass?

I don't have one in front of me, but I would think that an insulated glass panel wouldn't flex.
Chris914n6
Silly question.... what's special about insulated glass?

Thanks Curt, let us know.

Starting to look like I'm going to have 2 extra windows instread of 0. sad.gif

The rear glass is flat.
TheCabinetmaker
I wondered about that too Karl, but not according to my cabinetmakers straight edges. Apperars to be a flat peice of glass. I have a car without a rear glass, and lots of 1/4" plate we took off a job last week, so I should be able to make a pattern, cut a piece and find out. I can do that tomorrow.

you guys got me thinking now. I'll report back later.

It will also add some weight to the car.
TheCabinetmaker
Insulated glass is two plates of glass with a dead air space in between, ie, vaccum. The ouside glass will be hot or cold to the touch. The inside will be room temp. It would also keep the rear window from fogging.

Goddamn, I got to do one now!

Hmmm, one more thought. Chris, do you have one that's out? check the edge and see if it's laminated glass. Two sheets of glass with a thin sheet of plastic in the middle.
F4i
I have one on my kitchen table right now, it is flat and not laminated.
F4i
BTW good idea.
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Dylan
JeffBowlsby
It would also keep the rear window from fogging.

Until the edge seal fqails then it will fog when water gets in. Insulated galss is not a good application for cars, and it would be difficult to accommodate the thickness of that glass assembly in teh rabbet of the 914 rear window.

A much better idea is laminated glass...it has a higher sound isolation rating than insulated glass and could be made as a direct replacement for the thickness of the stock glass. Its the same stuff used as windshields.
TheCabinetmaker
Well, there is one more small problem. I don't think there's enough room between the glass and the backpad, or side trim peices to go any thicker.
GWN7
If it can be done, it should be tempered so if it breaks there isn't many sharp edges at neck height.

As to the insulated glass, many window builders use argon gas with a reflective heat shield on one of the layers of glass. The two panes (or three)of glass are sealed around the edges with silicone and a needle is inserted between the panes. The air is sucked out and a squirt of argon is put in to displace any moisture. This stops the glass from getting cloudy when it heats up.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Mar 21 2004, 04:24 PM)
It would also keep the rear window from fogging.

Until the edge seal fqails then it will fog when water gets in. Insulated galss is not a good application for cars, and it would be difficult to accommodate the thickness of that glass assembly in teh rabbet of the 914 rear window.

agree.gif

If it's not sealed it will fog.

Not practical IMO
TheCabinetmaker
Sealing is not the problem. The compund to seal the two sheets of glass is the same compound used to seal the glass to the frame. One shouldn't fail before the other. As long as the unit is professionally made. The thickness, I think, is a problem.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 21 2004, 04:26 PM)
Well, there is one more small problem. I don't think there's enough room between the glass and the backpad, or side trim peices to go any thicker.

I'd look if I had mine in... maybe that's why it fell out in the first place. laugh.gif

My car is unique in that the V-6 puts alot of heat into the firewall, softened up the roll seal.

My pads can be trimmed since they are getting a cloth covering anyways. Rear pad is now carpet.

I'm still looking for a rubber seal to hold the 2 pieces of glass together. Argon injection may be an issue. Oh, I'm still looking into using factory glass if you haven't guessed yet. smile.gif
bernbomb914
You could use plexiglass instead of Glass. It is much thinner and wont shatter like glass. I think it is also stronger.

Bernie
McMark
Thanks to all the people who helped us quickly realize that it can't be done. Actually, now that I think of it you can't put a 928 engine in a 914 and you can't turbo a 4 cylinder motor.

ar15.gif sad.gif

Anyway...
This article claims laminated glass (windshield glass) will reduce sound like glass wice as thick. Might be time to invest in a deciblemeter (?)/sound meter.
SpecialK
I've already got mine planned out (awhile back, and still another reason everyone else is 'driving' their 914's, and mine sits on jack stands sad.gif ). I've got three rear windows. One of the windows has the defrost heater on it, which will be the outside window. The inside window will be limo-black tinted (to keep head lights from burning out my retina) with a 2mm air space between the two. At first I was going to seal all of the way around the window except for a small area at the top and bottom, but after reading this maybe one could shoot some argon/nitrogen (from a MIG welder?), and then seal the gaps.

Hey, it looks good on paper.....
brians914
We have put many Lami units in homes where sound was an issue and had great success. You can get Lami in alot of colors also, green, bronze, and two shades of gray (gry & gry lite 14). Also it comes in two different thickness, 3/16 & 1/4. Never build a unit that has a tint on the inboard lite of glass, heat will build up between them and cause it to break. Been there done that. Also if the inboard lite on a insulated unit is not supported well it will sag and leak. Been there also.
Chris914n6
The only part of "can't" I understand is "can't afford to" smile.gif

Found a rubber seal that can be modified for use. I still need to figure out how to adapt the A/C guages to the argon tank, vacuum, and that needle thing.

You guys are making this complicated beerchug.gif

- starting to understand why ricers look like they do, gets boring when all you need to do is drive it laugh.gif
F4i
Has anyone tried or made a lexan rear window? The stuff is bullitproof. I does scratch easy however. I am thinking it's the way to go. Thoughts?
McMark
Racecars do it all the time. I think it's not very sound proof though.
F4i
I thought it might be more soundproof. Based on the comments about laminated glass. It is probably hard to judge as race cars are loud for lots of reasons.
Bleyseng
I have to agree here with Jeff Bowlsby. LAMINATED Glass! first of all it will kill the sound, second if you hit it you won't go thru it even if it cracks so its very safe. Also they can cut it to anyshape you want pretty easy. Tempered glass is first cut then sent out to the ovens where it is tempered. Won't stop the sound more than the regular glass.

I have thought of going to laminated glass for a couple of years to kill the sound some more. Just have to finish the other projects...

Your windshield is laminated glass BTW.

Lexan breaks just like glass with sharp pieces.

Glass
F4i
Would I be able to get a "local" glass shop to cut laminated glass? Is the windshield tempered and laminated or just laminated? What kind of cost would/should be involved? Thanks
Bleyseng
Read the sticker, its laminated. When it breaks it cracks! Tempered glass like the side windows break into little tiny pieces.
I would rather have behind my head a piece of laminated glass like the windshield. It will kill the sound. Yes, any glass shop can cut laminated glass, its a pain but they can do it. Not Home Depot thou.

Be safe not sorry! Lexan is for racing for a reason.

Regular glass even insulated would be very unsafe behind your head.

Geoff
F4i
Whats not safe about lexan?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(F4i @ Mar 28 2004, 09:11 AM)
Would I be able to get a "local" glass shop to cut laminated glass? Is the windshield tempered and laminated or just laminated? What kind of cost would/should be involved? Thanks

Most glass shops will cut laminated glass but I don't think it's cheap because of breakage. The more complicated the ship the more they will charge.
I was told once that they cut both sides, break it, then pour lighter fluid on it and set on fire to melt the plastic. I don't know if that's true.

Laminated glass is not tempered.
Bleyseng
it will break into bigger sharp pieces than say tempered glass. Thats fine racing as you are wearing a helmet. Its very light which it good. In a race car the cage will protect you from the crash impact and the lexan plastic will bend alot before breaking. Glass doesn't bend so the small less than a 1" pieces are great in a crash. The laminated glass takes a huge blow to fail although it cracks sad.gif . Ever see a rock go through a windshield? Pretty hard to do that

Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, here's the latest from my research with a couple of local glass guy's I work with.

First, they both said that unsupported on the bottom, the inside glass would sag and the seal would fail.

Second (to my surprise), the laminated glass would give almost the same sound and temp insulating qualities as the the insulated unit.

Third, both said they could not make the insulated unit knowing what it was meant for ( implied laibility).

Fourth, the insulated unit would be too damn thick to fit behind the trim panels.

My consensus. Just leave it like it is untill you have to change it.
F4i
I guess you cant turbo a 914 then. laugh.gif
Chris914n6
So can we make laminated glass from 2 OEM pieces?
or is the OEM tempering prohibit that.

- I've used Lexan in the sign business, it's strong as hell but I wouldn't want to have to polish it after washing the car...
TheCabinetmaker
Nope. You can't seal them. moisture will find it's way in between. Just take one of yours to a glass shop and ask them to make one in 1/4" laminated glass. Ask them to look at a sample of ford graylite 12. Nice smoky color.
F4i
Just got back fom the glass shop. They could make the rear window in 5mm laminated grey tint for $90.00 or 5mm tempered in grey tint for $40.00. A sheet of grey tint lean 3/16" $168.00. I am not super worried about noise so I may just go with tempered. BTW all prices CDN.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.