Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shift rod head
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
luvatenor
I am replacing all of the shift rod bushings and now am doing the rear shift rod cup bushing. I cleaned out the head, including the vent hole(what is the purpose of that?). I ordered the part from Pelican-surprised that it started with 911 instead of 914, lightly lubed it with white lithium grease and pushed it in until it seated at the bottom(not too much force needed.) My question is that the top of the cup bushing is approximately 5/16" down from the top of the metal head. Pics I saw of it show that they are both flush. What is the purpose of the air space between the bottom of the bushing and the bottom of the head where the vent hole is? Do I have the right part? Pelican said it was but I am not sure. Again thanks for all of the expert advice.
luvatenor
QUOTE(luvatenor @ Dec 25 2009, 02:01 AM) *

I am replacing all of the shift rod bushings and now am doing the rear shift rod cup bushing. I cleaned out the head, including the vent hole(what is the purpose of that?). I ordered the part from Pelican-surprised that it started with 911 instead of 914, lightly lubed it with white lithium grease and pushed it in until it seated at the bottom(not too much force needed.) My question is that the top of the cup bushing is approximately 5/16" down from the top of the metal head. Pics I saw of it show that they are both flush. What is the purpose of the air space between the bottom of the bushing and the bottom of the head where the vent hole is? Do I have the right part? Pelican said it was but I am not sure. Again thanks for all of the expert advice.

Here is a pic of what it looks like- The factory part number is the same as ordered

Click to view attachment
ejm
You want to pop the cup bushing onto the ball on the trans and then slide the metal coupler onto it. In use the bushing is close to flush with the outer end of the coupler but slides in and out slightly as the rod rotates.
luvatenor
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 25 2009, 03:49 AM) *

You want to pop the cup bushing onto the ball on the trans and then slide the metal coupler onto it. In use the bushing is close to flush with the outer end of the coupler but slides in and out slightly as the rod rotates.

Wonderful- thank you

Merry Xmas to all and a Happy and Healthy New years!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.