Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: NHL Classic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Fenway Park Rink Build

For all the hockey fans out there!
zymurgist
Neato torpedo!

Maybe that's why the east coast got all that snow. Hockey wouldn't look right surrounded by a green field.
flipb
NHL game at Fenway: Cool.

BU-BC at Fenway: aktion035.gif

Go BU!!!!!!!!

(Read up on the greatest rivalry in college sports)
smontanaro
I remember them doing the same thing for last year's Winter Classic at Wrigley. I seem to recall these outdoor games present difficulties for their ice experts because the way the ice freezes and melts in an uncontrolled outdoor setting is much different than in the super-well-controlled indoor environments they are used to.

S
ericread
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Dec 25 2009, 07:40 AM) *

I remember them doing the same thing for last year's Winter Classic at Wrigley. I seem to recall these outdoor games present difficulties for their ice experts because the way the ice freezes and melts in an uncontrolled outdoor setting is much different than in the super-well-controlled indoor environments they are used to.

S

Yep. Ice temp is very important. Colder ice is harder ice. Cold ice chips and can cause holes in the ice. Warmer ice ruts easily and can cause uneven play. The other issue is the sun and weather conditions. If you work to keep the ice at a manageable temp while it is in the sun, the shaded ice can get very cold and chip easily. Opposite that, you can end up with melted areas and a slush buildup (which can alter the speed of the puck).

Generally, an outside temporary tank (rink) is usually cooled with a single set of compressors. However, it would not surprise me to find three or four compressor systems in this system so that each quarter of the ice can be controlled seperately.

They obviously had some public skating on the ice during the buildup (you can see it in the time lapse). Plenty of time to see how your sheet of ice will handle daily temp changes.

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.