Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating modular wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
howdy folks

just bought some new (old) alloys for the 914. 4 lug modular wheel by Epsilon (pretty decent wheel, though they are probably 15 or 20 years old now).

anyhow, i don't like the color. i'd like to take them apart and refresh/retorque the bolts before i mount them, so i might as well change the color while i'm at it. i figure that some oven cleaner should get the gold off -- after that, i don't know if i should paint or powder coat (or maybe polish..)

so, who's had their wheels powder coated? is there any truth to the notion that sticking alloy wheels in a 400 deg oven will weaken them? any advice apreciatted.
TimT
No worries baking the wheel centers, however that is a complex shape to powder coat, faraday cage effect messes with all the little boxes created by the mesh of the wheel center. All that means is you wont get as much powder inside all the "boxes" .. uneven coating thickness...

Still powdercoating should be ok for our purposes...If not just bead blast and epoxy paint!
Joe Bob
You may have seal problems when taking them apart....better to mask and blast, then rattle can them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.