Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer with different size tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
How far off is my speedometer going to be since I changed to 205-55-15 tires.

GeorgeRud
Unfortunately, there's no perfect formula as there is quite a difference in rolling radius from tire manufacturer to manufacturer. If you know your old tire's circumference and the new tire's circumference, you could easily apply a correction factor, but the speedos were never calibrated that accurately in my opinion. They often tend to be optomistic!

You might want to find a buddy with the iPhone app that gives you a speed while you're driving (obviously using GPS), and compare that with your indicated speed. Otherwise, find an interstate and time yourself while driving 60mph for a measured mile (using their mile markers). Either way should give you a pretty good estimation.

I believe that if you need to make corrections, North Hollywood Speedometer can probably do the calibration work. I've been happy with their services in the past.
Kirmizi
Cllick on the "914 Info" tab at the top right of the page.
There's a tire size calculator that will give you a pretty close estimate.
Mike
TravisNeff
I got a GPS for xmas and just went out for a spin a few minutes ago. With my 205x55x15 tires the speedometer reads about 4-5mph fast (meaning speedo says 40, gps says 35)
Jeffs9146
North Hollywood Speedometer can probably do the calibration work

I have used them to do two of my speedos over 25 years and they do a great job but not cheep either!
RonnieJ
Thanks all for the responses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.