Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 1.7's, what are they worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sww914
My friend Mark B has an engine that I want and I have one that he wants. I have the D-jet 1.7 with hydraulic lifters and cam that came with his red car, it was rebuilt a few years ago and it runs well and doesn't use any oil. He has a 1.7 in his red car with Webers and a cam that I believe is in similar condition. When I pull this hydraulic engine to make room for a new 2056 he would like to trade engines so that he has the original engine that came with the car. He thinks that the 1.7 with the Webers and a cam is worth more than the D-jet 1.7 and I suspect that he's right but neither of us has been able to commit to a number. What do you guys think?
tradisrad
Between friends? I say just trade the motors. He is getting the original one back and you're getting one that you won't be using. Now, if you sell the carbed 1.7 then perhaps you can give him a few $$. I would guess that the carbs (alone) are worth $300 to $500 more than the complete injection (maybe a $200 value).
Mark Henry
Worth more is subjective, yes the carb's could be parted and sold for more than the d-jet bits, but unless that engine runs better (or a planned build) I'd rather have the d-jet. Cam could be anything, doesn't mean it's better. So one could say the weber engine is worth about $375 more, but that's about it.
I would for sure want an engine that is as nice running as the one I'm trading.

IMHO and $375-400 is about the price I've seen a few weber sets go for lately.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Dec 27 2009, 03:07 PM) *

Between friends? I say just trade the motors. He is getting the original one back and you're getting one that you won't be using. Now, if you sell the carbed 1.7 then perhaps you can give him a few $$. I would guess that the carbs (alone) are worth $300 to $500 more than the complete injection (maybe a $200 value).

agree.gif

What kind of Webers? Used IDFs seem to be about $400. ICTs probably $200. D-Jet is worth... I dunno. Depends on your point of view. What an MPS worth? I'd call it a wash, especially between friends.
r_towle
Are you selling him a working ECU and MPS with the motor?
If so, its certainly an even swap...possibly he should be giving you money, or at least he should arrive with beer and pizza.

Rich
sww914
40mm IDF's.
The money that I end up owing him if any will not actually be cash unless things change somehow, I will trade that out also when ever we get around to painting his car, so he's trying to pass on enough pieces of value to me to knock down or eliminate his eventual paint bill. Furthermore, I really don't care if it ends up being cash or trade or even how much $$$ it is as long as it's fair. He is so fair and so good that I would basically do whatever he wants as long as it seems right to him. He just hasn't been able to produce a number yet.
Yes to the ECU & MPS, all included with the motor. We'll trade fuel pumps as well.
jmill
What's the smog cutoff year in California now? If he needs to pass smog your doing him a solid by swapping him an FI engine. Plus getting all working FI goodies aint cheap either. I say it's a straight swap $ wise.
sww914
Smog isn't an issue on either car unless you're Cliff Braun, the only guy that I've ever heard of who's been pulled over and cited for emissions violations on a pre-'76 car. '75 and earlier don't require emissions checks and the cars are a '74 & '72 I think, maybe a '71 & '73, whatever, non smog both of them.
underthetire
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 27 2009, 05:24 PM) *

What's the smog cutoff year in California now? If he needs to pass smog your doing him a solid by swapping him an FI engine. Plus getting all working FI goodies aint cheap either. I say it's a straight swap $ wise.

I think 75 and older, I know 74 and older are smog exempt. I sold FI parts on Evilbay a while back for a 1.7 and got 200. That was for the AAR, wiring harness, brain, and decel valve. I think fi and the carbs would be a wash, or within 50 bucks or so.
markb
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 27 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Smog isn't an issue on either car unless you're Cliff Braun,

av-943.gif

Sorry, couldn't help it. biggrin.gif

To make this even more complicated, the 1.7 with FI & hydraulics will be going to hwgunner for the GPR car, to get it on the road, & my red car will be getting a stock 2.0 with FI. blink.gif

It sounds like Steve & I will swap motors & call it a wash, which is kinda what we both thought in the beginning. smile.gif
sww914
See, I told ya what a prick he is!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 27 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Smog isn't an issue on either car unless you're Cliff Braun, the only guy that I've ever heard of who's been pulled over and cited for emissions violations on a pre-'76 car. '75 and earlier don't require emissions checks and the cars are a '74 & '72 I think, maybe a '71 & '73, whatever, non smog both of them.

Geez that sucks. Do tell the story...
hot_shoe914
A good deal or fair deal is when both parties are happy with what theu got. If you are both happy when all is said and done, then it is a fair deal!

Shoe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.