Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic Transmission possibility's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
Hey I was thinking in terms of an auto transmission, are there any units out there that can do the job? How about an Audi A8 ?
I know its blaspheme, but I would love to have an auto...
Mike Bellis
search 914 automatic and you will find an Audi conversion.
Porcharu
How about a Subaru? They can be made to be very strong (like 1000 HP drag cars.)
Steve.
Katmanken
How about hypnosis....

I hypnotized my wife into thinking the manual tranny was really an automatic and her shifting and grinding of gears really improved.

Depending on suggestions, mebbe yer sex life can be improved too...

Worked with my wife, I'm just saying..... happy11.gif

Mebbe a real sporto? bring money$$
bcaschera
I was just browsing local and, ... not so local classifieds and came across this ad for an auto 914 using an audi 5000 auto trans. (here is a link)

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/1485821578.html

good luck maybe you can contact the current owner for more info. grouphug.gif
messix
QUOTE(bcaschera @ Dec 29 2009, 12:46 AM) *

I was just browsing local and, ... not so local classifieds and came across this ad for an auto 914 using an audi 5000 auto trans. (here is a link)

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/1485821578.html

good luck maybe you can contact the current owner for more info. grouphug.gif

to late on that one! http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101948
zymurgist
QUOTE(kwales @ Dec 28 2009, 06:05 PM) *

How about hypnosis....

I hypnotized my wife into thinking the manual tranny was really an automatic and her shifting and grinding of gears really improved.

I can't imagine that teaching someone to drive a stick would be more difficult than converting a car. wink.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 29 2009, 05:33 AM) *

QUOTE(kwales @ Dec 28 2009, 06:05 PM) *

How about hypnosis....

I can't imagine that teaching someone to drive a stick would be more difficult than converting a car. wink.gif

You havn't met my ex-wife. I got so mad teaching her... I walked home and left her on the side of the road.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 29 2009, 05:33 AM) *

Oh Ken! I tried to teach Yopu to drive a manual transmission and she drove through a landscaped bus bench at the local Kaiser Permanente Clinic... Imagine her, foot on the gas - heading for an unmovable object - me screaming "STOP STOP!" Thankfully, she took out a bush and not a bench. No sir, she is getting a Tiptronic Boxster S... Perhaps a Cayman S as she would NEVER put the top down. She puts on sun screen every day rain or shine - winter or summer... mad.gif God I love that woman!!! wub.gif
zymurgist
LOL. To me it's kind of like walking and chewing gum at the same time. I can hardly imagine *not* picking it up quickly.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 29 2009, 09:06 AM) *

LOL. To me it's kind of like walking and chewing gum at the same time. I can hardly imagine *not* picking it up quickly.

Yopu tells me she thinks it is genetic. I told her that as a kid, I always imagined driving a stick. I did the usual 'air shifting' driving.gif until I was old enough to get a drivers license and my first car was a '62 Chevrolet Impala with an automatic. My uncles owned a bunch of Gulf Stations in the Minneapolis area and I worked for one of them. One day my uncle Don told me to move that Buick out and bring in the Dodge truck. I got in the Buick and discovered it was "three on the tree". I was too embarrassed to tell my unc' that I didn't know how to drive a stick so I just drove it out and moved the Dodge in. Both were sticks and I did fine. Well, I probably burned a bit of clutch but I didn't kill either of them and I didn't hit anything. When I told Yopu that she said "Well Yah! You're a guy!" So, it's genetic WTF.gif
zymurgist
I can't get my mom or my sister interested in learning to drive a manual (and mom has a Honda Civic coupe, a car which cries out for a manual!). Then there was the guy in my Corvette club who built a gorgeous '62 with C4 running gear... but he built it with an automatic so his wife could drive it. He has a '63 4-speed and she has a '78 auto. She absolutely refuses to even try to learn. Corvettes are another car that cries out for a manual. wink.gif

Sometimes I think it's the Y chromosome. driving-girl.gif
VaccaRabite
My wife, also, can not drive stick. I offer to teach, but she has little to no interest. She just wants to push the pedal and go.

Zach
shelby/914
It can be done. I taught two daughters to drive a stick. Of course one did great and the other one, not so much. First daughter had a better reason to learn as I bought her a little red Mustang at an auction and she wanted to drive it. My wife learned in one trip around the block when she bought a new 260Z and had to get it home from the dealer.
ahdoman
I taught my wife how to drive a stick and 2 clutches and 20 years later she ALMOST understands how to drive it. The thrill doesn't translate for her though. She still doesn't care to drive the 914.
al weidman
I gotta tell you, I never noticed the little scroll feature on the right before. It's annoying to me, and the first post is like trying to attend a party looking through the mail slot in the door. Al.

Any automatic transaxle would be a candidate for a conversion. Kennedy can hook about anything to anything..
budman5201
How about a 2008 Subaru AWD automatic transmission?? that would bolt right up to my Subie engine i already have .....Arent they computer controlled?
drive-ability
Well, smash.gif I can see this isn't going anywhere lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Dec 29 2009, 09:37 PM) *

Well, smash.gif I can see this isn't going anywhere lol-2.gif

I think Al has a point. If anyone would know what would work, Kennedy would.
Andyrew
Late on this I know, but I think an Audi trani is a much better option, They actually have a FWD version, and their trani's are pretty much bullitproof right out of the box. I would venture to say that in a RWD application it should be able to handle 400lbs of torque right out of the box.

And when I say auto trani I mean like from an A4 or an A6. Cheap as dirt to.

In an AWD application the manual trani can hold huge amounts of hp in a drag race setting right out of the box (I know of a guy running 630awhp through the stock trani, and its a dedicated drag car..) But thats AWD where the load is distributed.. FWD where its put to the back, on a street car I would think it would be just fine, with slicks I would think it would be another story....
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 29 2009, 09:35 AM) *

So, it's genetic

I don't think so. biggrin.gif

Where i come from, everybody drives stick-shift!
That means roughly half of the cars in Germany are driven by female drivers.

It's not genetic, it's cultural ...
driving.gif Andy

PS: When i was growing up, only disabled people drove automatic cars.
In fact, if you take your drivers license test in an automatic car in Germany, they mark your drivers license and you are not allowed to drive a stick-shift!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.