Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Red-Beard
I'm just making sure on this.....

I'm re-installing the alternator on the engine and I didn't label where the wires went....

The plug in is a no-brainer. I have a red wire with a ring terminal and a black wire with a larger ring terminal. I think the red wire goes to B+ and the black wire goes to DF. But, the ring terminals seem to be reversed from a size standpoint...

Which is why I'm getting a re-check before I hook everything back up.

The 914/6 wiring diagram does not label the termination points.

James
Jeffs9146
Today is your lucky day! I just pulled mine out and shot a photo!

Jeff
Red-Beard
That is what my instincts said, but usually red goes to +.

Thanks!
Jeffs9146
James,

Do you have a photo of the Voltage Regulator and how it wires in??

Jeff
Red-Beard
Hmmm. I thought the VR just plugged into the relay board.
Jeffs9146
So did I but when I bought one to replace the old one the new one looks totaly different than anything else on the board!

Here is a photo of the new one and the old one!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
New one??
echocanyons
that is a solid state replacement.

Should plug in the same way mount it on the side with the screws
Jeffs9146
OK, so I just yank up the old one and plug in the wire from the new one!! Sounds easy!

Thanks

Jeff
Red-Beard
Exactly.

How ever...

I think the VR for the 914/6 is different from the 914/4. At the bird site they show only one.
Jeffs9146
I did ask the guy at the auto parts place if he was sure this was for the 914/6 and he said yes! I can only hope!!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Sorry to hijack this thread but it is all relevent!

All of the local auto parts places say they cant test my Alt on the bench! Does anyone know of a local shop (Bay Area, Ca) that can test it out of the car?

Brad, can you do it at HPH?

Jeff
krk
Hm. The shop I used for my /6 alternator tested it on the bench. It was dead -- they had a replacement for about 120 bucks. San Jose area, just off 17 and 85. I can get you the full contact info (I have a receipt somewhere) or I may have put it in my alternator/fan shroud thread.

kim.
Jeffs9146
I can get you the full contact info

That would be great! I want to get this thing back together as soon as possible! Even just the name and I can find it!

Jeff
krk
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 22 2004, 09:32 AM)
I can get you the full contact info

That would be great! I want to get this thing back together as soon as possible! Even just the name and I can find it!

Jeff

Here's the full contact info -- I think I paid $126 for the new one -- works great!

Auto Lectrics Alternators
(408) 559-3540
1360 White Oaks Rd # D
Campbell, CA

They are right at the Camden exit off 17.

kim.
brant
regarding the wires on the alternator...
If I was to wire a conversion car with no board...
which of those wires goes to what, down line?

(just being lazy, as I haven't tried the wire diagrams yet..)

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.