Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Master Cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I am running a stock brake system. The master cylinder is shot. I was originally going to rebuild it, but considering the prices of some aftermarket ones, I am not so sure.

Is there any downside to upgrading to the 19MM model?

Has anybody bought one of these?

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/...5.012.02apa.htm

Thanks.
IronHillRestorations
Paragon has always been a good supplier. As long as they stand behind it, I'd bite.
Cap'n Krusty
I would think long and hard about using something that cheap. You know it's gotta be Chinese, and the seller's gotta be making a good profit.

It's your brakes .........Think about it .....................

The Cap'n
smontanaro
As I was just reading this classic thread this morning so I thought I would mention it:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=55559

For my money I'd probably rebuild the existing mc.

Skip
914Sixer
I think kits are NLA.
smontanaro
Bummer. Which would be a better option, an aftermarket/repro rebuild kit or an aftermarket/repro master cylinder? I don't see any rebuild options for master cylinders on Eric Shea's site either.

If truly nothing is available, maybe a vintage restoration service would work. I know a lot of people in the Brit car world use White Post Restorations. Not cheap, but brakes are probably something you should really have 100% confidence in.

Scotty b, White Post is sort of in your neck of the woods. Do you have any experience with them in the Porsche world?

Skip

saigon71
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 28 2009, 09:17 PM) *

I think kits are NLA.

They may be. I have not found any yet.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
19 installed means more pedal pressure required to stop but less travel. 17mm for the four cylinder is preferred these days. Rebuild kits are nla so no one can rebuild them without a kit, and the euro parts master cylinder had problems so no one stocks them anymore. ATE factory 19mm are the best buy usually to be had new for 195 where the new 17mm are 245 or so.
Bottom line for the money on a four buy a new 17mm.

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 28 2009, 06:27 PM) *

I am running a stock brake system. The master cylinder is shot. I was originally going to rebuild it, but considering the prices of some aftermarket ones, I am not so sure.

Is there any downside to upgrading to the 19MM model?

Has anybody bought one of these?

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/...5.012.02apa.htm

Thanks.

ellisor3
Here is a good article from the bird on Master Cylinder options:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...brake_calc2.htm
ConeDodger
A couple years back I asked my Porsche dealer parts guy just for shits and giggles if the 17 and 19mm MC's were available. He said yes. So, shocked, I asked how much? I forget the cost difference but it was dramatic. The 19mm was lots cheaper. Eric the parts guy told me that because everyone seems to use the 19mm to replace the original the 17 got produced in less volume and was more expensive.

George is right on the money when he says the 19mm requires more effort and less travel for your leg. It is easy to minimize this and say that is no big deal but if you do any performance driving you should consider that it will be harder to modulate the brakes and easier to lock them up.

When I worked in a VW/Porsche shop as a kid the owner made me rebuild a MC so I would know how. He said he had no faith in them and since they were crucial to stopping and stopping was crucial to staying alive he didn't use them. He sold that rebuilt MC at a swap meet he had every year.

On the Chinese Paragon MC's:
Not to get political here but has anyone else noticed that since we in the US have outsourced manufacturing that things just don't last? I go through Craftsman lawn equipment that used to last for years in just a couple years now. I had the same washer and dryer for a decade or two and after replacing them about 6 years ago have had to replace them three times. It isn't a "planned obsolescent" the way the Chevy Vega was intended to wear out it is just crap. Sorry for the hijack - I am just a bit peeved about all the good money I am throwing away on what should be durable goods. mad.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com

Not to get political here but has anyone else noticed that since we in the US have outsourced manufacturing that things just don't last? I go through Craftsman lawn equipment that used to last for years in just a couple years now. I had the same washer and dryer for a decade or two and after replacing them about 6 years ago have had to replace them three times. It isn't a "planned obsolescent" the way the Chevy Vega was intended to wear out it is just crap. Sorry for the hijack - I am just a bit peeved about all the good money I am throwing away on what should be durable goods. mad.gif
[/quote]

dead on Rob. Just like new Porsches.....throwaways. Disposable society these days, who holds onto anything (except us and our 914s!!) Everyone should compare the quality of a 914 to a boxster. No comparison. No one takes a tv or stereo in for repair anymore....are not worth repairing. So who will ever restore a boxster? The mechanic will look at in twenty years from now and say that it is hopeless, yet they will still be restoring 914s!!! Long live the 914! Save the 914 and to hell with the whales!
saigon71
Thanks for all the info, including the Pelican article.

I just ordered an ATE 17MM master cylinder for $232. The key for me was how the larger master cylinder affected braking on a stock system and how things should change together (larger master cylinder AND larger calipers).

I probably would have been just fine with the generic 19MM but wanted to be sure that the backbone of my brake system was solid for a long time.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 30 2009, 06:24 PM) *

I just ordered an ATE 17MM master cylinder for $232. The key for me was how the larger master cylinder affected braking on a stock system and how things should change together (larger master cylinder AND larger calipers).

I probably would have been just fine with the generic 19MM but wanted to be sure that the backbone of my brake system was solid for a long time.

great price! Who is selling it for that?
ppeters914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 31 2009, 09:44 AM) *

Pulled my pedal cluster and discovered leaking brake m/c, then learned rebuild kits NLA, so, yeah, -WHERE- are you getting an ATE 17mm m/c for that price?
burton73
On Ebay: New Porsche 914 4 Complete ATE Brake Master Cylinder $ 228.14
He has 9 units. Feedback is 100% Positive on 2059 The picture shows ATE
Manufactured by ATE and brought to you by GetCoolParts. This is a brand new 17mm OEM replacement Brake Master Cylinder and is ready to install in your 914! Check our feedback and bid with confidence. Compare our prices to the dealer and save.

There are a few other guys on there at around the same price.

Bob
saigon71
QUOTE(ppeters914 @ Jan 2 2010, 11:05 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 31 2009, 09:44 AM) *

Pulled my pedal cluster and discovered leaking brake m/c, then learned rebuild kits NLA, so, yeah, -WHERE- are you getting an ATE 17mm m/c for that price?

autopartswarehouse.com $231.95 for the ATE 17MM - free shipping.
914Sixer
PAP Parts is $207 and change. 19 mm $279.
saigon71
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 3 2010, 12:32 PM) *

I didn't know that this one was made by ATE...if it is, this is probably the best deal around for a 17MM.
underthetire
Sounds like mike should build new seal kits for these things !
saigon71
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 3 2010, 05:37 PM) *

Sounds like mike should build new seal kits for these things !

agree.gif
ppeters914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 2 2010, 08:19 PM) *

On Ebay: New Porsche 914 4 Complete ATE Brake Master Cylinder $ 228.14
He has 9 units. Feedback is 100% Positive on 2059 The picture shows ATE
Manufactured by ATE and brought to you by GetCoolParts. This is a brand new 17mm OEM replacement Brake Master Cylinder and is ready to install in your 914! Check our feedback and bid with confidence. Compare our prices to the dealer and save.

There are a few other guys on there at around the same price.

Bob

Didn't find anything by GetCoolParts. Most of the eBay sellers are selling the 19mm. The few 17mm's are all pushing $300.

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jan 3 2010, 09:11 AM) *

autopartswarehouse.com $231.95 for the ATE 17MM - free shipping.

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jan 3 2010, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 3 2010, 12:32 PM) *

I didn't know that this one was made by ATE...if it is, this is probably the best deal around for a 17MM.

Bought one. Yup, gen-u-wine ATE in a Porsche OEM box. Total with shipping was $223. Free PAP-Parts t-shirt, too. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.