Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Machine shop in SF Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gudhjem
I finally got round to installing my SS heat exchangers, and managed to pull an exhaust stud. In fact the stud was in a helicoil, and the whole coil pulled sad.gif .

So, I have a 10/8M step stud I was planning to use, but the whole is is too big to give me a full bite on the 10M threads. I have maybe 2 or 3 good threads. I think I will try the install anyway, and hope that with the low torque speck it will hold at least till I really want to pull the engine for something else, but I doubt it's going to work. I could I suppose look for a 10m helicoil or Timesert, which would have larger threads, but I'm worried I might be pushing the limits of how much material I can remove if I do that (although, I suppose if that fails, I'm still just looking for a machine shop).

So, I need to find a shop to weld, drill and tap. I live in Foster City now (SF Bay Area), and haven't used a machine shop around here for nearly 10 years. Since I'd like to avoid ending up with a warped part (or worse), can anyone give me a recommendation for a nearby shop that understands these heads?

Thanks.

Gratuitous pic below (this is after I tapped for 10M). unsure.gif

--Steve

ConeDodger
My apologies for saying this here but Dan Thompson uses someone over in the Bay Area and I cannot remember the name. Ask on 914Club. That is Dan's hang out.
koozy
Steve, I sent ya a PM.
EdwardBlume
Will the coil thread back in? I had spark plug come out on me the same way and I just reinstalled it.
DanT
Jay's Precision Machining

1751 Grant Street
Santa Clara, CA 95050-3974
(408) 980-0743

Hi Rob and Rob biggrin.gif
Gudhjem
Thanks for the replies.

Rob, the helicoil didn't turn out, it came straight out, pulling the aluminum threads with it. There's nothing for it to screw back into.

I'm debating whether or not to try a helicoil or timesert for the 10M step down stud before pulling the head. Those would grab more aluminum than just the 10M stud alone, but I'm worried I might make things worse going that big...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DanT @ Dec 29 2009, 07:22 PM) *

1751 Grant Street
(408) 980-0743

Thanks Dan!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Gudhjem @ Dec 29 2009, 07:53 PM) *

Thanks for the replies.

Rob, the helicoil didn't turn out, it came straight out, pulling the aluminum threads with it. There's nothing for it to screw back into.

I'm debating whether or not to try a helicoil or timesert for the 10M step down stud before pulling the head. Those would grab more aluminum than just the 10M stud alone, but I'm worried I might make things worse going that big...

I wonder if you couldn't pull the head and have the hole welded up and redrilled and tapped?
tradisrad
Jansen Enterprises off of Harbor Blvd @ 101. Ken Jansen runs the place, it is close to you (minutes away) and he is quite reasonable.
http://jansenenterprise.com/
I recommend that you go by his shop. If you call-call several times he is not the best phone guy! Enter the shop from the back (across from Carquest)
McMark
I have a few of these for 'quickie' repairs. Certainly not The Right Way™, but it can get you back on the road without disassembly.

Drill and tap the head to M12 x 1.75 and screw in to get M8 x 1.25 internal threads.

I can send you one for $5.
Gudhjem
Thanks Mark.

I ordered an M10 Time-sert kit yesterday morning before I saw your post. Oh well - $5 would have been better than $90.
EdwardBlume

Happy New Year Dan!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Dec 30 2009, 06:45 AM) *

Jansen Enterprises off of Harbor Blvd @ 101. Ken Jansen runs the place, it is close to you (minutes away) and he is quite reasonable.
http://jansenenterprise.com/
I recommend that you go by his shop. If you call-call several times he is not the best phone guy! Enter the shop from the back (across from Carquest)

+1 for being around the corner from you. Koozy knows him too!
hydroliftin

1751 Grant Street
(408) 980-0743

I second Dan's recomendation if you end up needing a machine shop that is familiar with all kinds of air cooled engines and other old stuff, Jay is your guy. I also had an excellent experience with Jansen Enterprise getting my webers set up, but I never used them for machining work.

Peter
tradisrad
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 31 2009, 12:06 PM) *

Happy New Year Dan!

I'm a Rob too!
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif Rob and Rob and Rob then.... aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.