Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I change my square Dellorto filters to oval filters like the Weber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hi there, here is a terrible picture of my engine, the car is still not on the road but getting much closer thanks to some members here.

The engine is one of those old Fat performance 2.2 L kits with 103mm pistons and stock stroke, it runs good and makes good power I guess. The carbs are twin 40mm Dellorto carbs and they are pretty good too..

I am going to shampoo the engine compartment and have some small parts I want to change in there and my question here is, can I change these square dellorto filters on my carbs to oval ones like the weber guys? I prefer the looks of those ones and want to add some carb hats from Morph too but the sqare ones don't fit.

Do they make oval fits for the Dellortos? Maybe a member has a set here for sale in nice shape or are new ones available?

Any help would be great, thank you

Jamie

DBCooper
Not a problem. You have the CB Performance hex bar linkage, so get the IDF/DRLA base plates, air filters, and tops from their "Carburetors and Accessories" page HERE. Be sure to get the cast covers, those stamped steel ones bend and will be ugly forever after the first time you overtighten them.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif D B cooper is correct......Additionally, you will need to rig up a newer way for the valve cover breathers, and crankcase vent, to work. the oval air filters will be taller, as you know, and the "attached" breather plate will need to be larger, (vertical). ...frankly routing the breathers to/into the carburators is not a great idea for our engines. It just provides more oil/crud to accumulate in the carburators. The float bowles have no drain. R/ clean , is the only way to clean them up. I suggest getting / purchasing/ making a remote breather catch can for the crankcase and head venting....Cleaning engine...Take the time necessary to cover ,seal the distributor, carbs, and electrical components. Plastic baggies/ bags are useful. AVOID using high pressure. Good soap/ and a little water will work. you will need soft rags and scrub sponges. popcorn[1].gif to consider. Murray
nsr-jamie
Hi, thanks!! I will try to contact CB after the new years holidays and find out which kit I need....I will also order their crankcase vent kit too for 35$ and probably a couple of other small parts too. Hope they can send to me here in Japan.
nsr-jamie
Me again, I was checking out there parts lists and I found two different air filter kits, no sure which one to order confused24.gif

I guess I have the CB kit but I ordered this so many years ago I totally forgot and the car sat for about 8 years or so...

Is this the correct kit to order??

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=550

Or could it be this one??

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=557

The first link mentions for "CB's dual carburetor kits equipped with offset linkage and manifolds", I bought my carbs from Mid Engine mania (now GPR) like 15 years ago or so from Dave. He was a cool guy and always so helpful.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...It.s not exactly clear if the accelator cross shaft...support arms at the base of your present air cleaner, are made as part of the air cleaner base ...or are a seperate piece. If they are a seperate piece then #3312 or 3313 air cleaner will work....you will not need the "offset " air cleaners. typically they are needed for a V.W. application with limiited engine bay clearance. If you are going to use a O.E.M. rain tray then take a measurement to ensure the 6'' tall air cleaners will work. generally the bigger the air cleaner the better the engine will breath. popcorn[1].gif murray
Shade Tree
You'll have to ditch the rain tray to use 6" filters. Here are my dellortos with oval filters. Well, one of them.

IPB Image

nsr-jamie
Hi, thanks for all the replies...when the snow melts outside I will take a couple more pictures of the carbs with the filters off so I can order the correct ones..I don't have the water tray on my car anymore so I guess those big filters would work but would they really be helpful? They look so tall and I have the stock Dellort vellocity stacks.

Thanks and cheers
Jamie
nsr-jamie
Hello, weather cleared up a bit here and I got a picture with the filter off, its not very good but does show that the support for the cross shaft is NOT one piece, so it looks like I need these filters

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=557

I was thinking off going with the 3 1/4inch ones or part #3312

I am not running the rain cover, so I believe the 6 inch ones would fit, but do I really need em? Any gains? Personally I like the look of the smaller 3 1/4inch ones.

Before I order the parts from CB (and some other things) I just wanted to double check here with you guys to make sure these are the correct ones to order as I live in Japan and shipping is just so expensive.

Thanks people
DBCooper
Yeah, taller is better but not necessary. Those should be right, but just to be sure why don't you take that existing air cleaner base off (remove the velocity stacks) to make sure that stamped steel base plate doesn't incorporate any part of the throttle linkage. I could be wrong, but seem to remember some of the Weber/Red Line linkages (not hexbar like you have) had the air filters incorporated into that base plate. Just to be sure, since shipping is so expensive.

When you get the new air filters give them a layer of grease on the tops and bottoms to make sure they seal well. Not much, just enough to keep the dirt out. The dust and debris on top of that air filter base is what gets into and plugs the idle jets.
nsr-jamie
DB Cooper, THANK YOU!!! I will double check that on the weekend if its not raining...my car is outside but covered. Also I am waiting to hear back from CB too but they want like 150 to ship to me so I might have to order the parts from another place that will ship through the post office instead of UPS or FED EX only, thank you !! Cheers beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.