Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking Reverse Light Switches (both purchased new same issue again)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Leaking Reverse Light Switches (both purchased new same issue again) Side Shift 74 2.0..

Basically I have bought 2 reverse light switches for my transmission. The first one leaked so I thought factory defect (leaked right out the seam of the plastic for electrical pugs and the base of unit,,) the replacement is doing mor or less the same but maybe more so or less out the unit itself again, not the threads where is mounts.. Any input here appreciated these little guys are 70- 80 $$ each And I do not want to buy a dozen to get lucky ect..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
several have complained about the leaking switches. They are the latest factory variety and now probably made in China! Simply return for an exchange. All suppliers guarantee them for a year.
What is really stupid is that five years ago they were in the teens in price and NEVER leaked and were made in Germany!!!

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 30 2009, 02:34 PM) *

Leaking Reverse Light Switches (both purchased new same issue again) Side Shift 74 2.0..

Basically I have bought 2 reverse light switches for my transmission. The first one leaked so I thought factory defect (leaked right out the seam of the plastic for electrical pugs and the base of unit,,) the replacement is doing mor or less the same but maybe more so or less out the unit itself again, not the threads where is mounts.. Any input here appreciated these little guys are 70- 80 $$ each And I do not want to buy a dozen to get lucky ect..

davesprinkle
I had this problem with 2 new switches. According to another member who also had this problem (sorry, don't remember his name), this happens because the sealing washer isn't the correct thickness. The result is that the switch sits too close to the actuating mechanism and the internal diaphragm gets ruptured the first time the switch is activated.

My solution was to throw away both of my new, ruined switches and to run with an old, known-good switch. But absent an old switch, you'll probably need to shim out your new switch. Sorry, don't know by how much...
detoxcowboy
George your dead on there (as i expected) and Dave I actaullly thought the actuating arm was in to tight and your idea just may be the ticket.. Thank you both..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.