Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You may as well be the first to know..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dead Air
The little contracting business I've ran off and on for the past 15 years or so hasn't really panned out. I take too long to do the job right and my estimates or quotes don't cover the extra time. Too much money out of pocket while waiting to get paid and customers expanding the scope of the jobs which throws off my schedule..It's on the back burner, for now.
My mechanics land-lord has a body shop adjacent to his shop. (he works on european stuff mostly, hence SPC) It's been one of my afternoon beer stops for a couple years. (I know...long thread entries suck).
A couple projects he's got going would include: MGTD, 560 SL, '82 Z28, a Gulietta, '64 corvette, early '60 British cab, his wifes 280 SL needs paint and a 280S. Plus the usual collision work that he gets in.
His plan is to show me the business so he can go out and find more work while I'm around to answer the phone.
I'll use this work to supliment my part time wages at a "major building materials retailer" and perhaps sneak a little 914 into the corner and get that someday ready to drive.
I know this may sound like an odd career change for a 47 year old motor head like me but I'm tired of hanging drywall alone and scurrying around for progress payments.
Your insight is welcome. smash.gif
zymurgist
Best of luck... you do what you can these days...
abbott295
Good luck with the new job. Life is simpler when you're not the boss.

I gave up trying to be my own boss years ago for much the same reasons. Always seemed to end up working too cheaply. The jobs you can do efficiently by yourself are limited, or they drag out too long, and if you have to have employees, you have to spend half your time supervising them, half your time keeping up with the paperwork involved with having employees, and the other half your time looking for the next job. If you got into this line of work because it is something you like doing, you end up not having time to do any of it yourself.

That's my insight. Re-read my first line. And let's be thankful that some people do it. It's not for everyone.
Gint
I consider doing the same thing over and over again. Good luck.
stephenaki
Best of luck with that, you're never too old to change careers especially if its something that you like! beerchug.gif
sww914
Read the labels on the hardeners. Isocyanates do permanent central nervous system damage.
I wake up and take 3-4 Advil first thing every day. I always have a headache, 24-7-365.
Wear proper equipment. Every time.
Dead Air
QUOTE(abbott295 @ Dec 31 2009, 05:22 AM) *

Good luck with the new job. Life is simpler when you're not the boss.

I gave up trying to be my own boss years ago for much the same reasons. Always seemed to end up working too cheaply. The jobs you can do efficiently by yourself are limited, or they drag out too long, and if you have to have employees, you have to spend half your time supervising them, half your time keeping up with the paperwork involved with having employees, and the other half your time looking for the next job. If you got into this line of work because it is something you like doing, you end up not having time to do any of it yourself.

That's my insight. Re-read my first line. And let's be thankful that some people do it. It's not for everyone.

Yes! That's it exactly! I didn't want to hire people I had to worry about in my customers houses!!!

Regarding the fumes....what was I saying?
we sprayed some epoxy primer that was pretty harsh today. I think I may be able to save some money on beer though, much easier to catch a buzz after spraying primer. smile.gif
Lou does nice work and I'm looking forward to learning a new trade from a professional who doesn't cut corners.

Here's to the new year and may 2010 be better than the last.
Thanks for your input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.