Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
elsargento
I might be barking up the wrong tree but for me not uncommon. Seems like when my gauge reads around 1/4 tank I start getting the bucking syndrome. Is it possible the tank is lower than what the gauge reads and the pump is sucking air? I can drive through it with acceleration but when I back off it starts the hucka buck..Does any of this make sense? welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Kirmizi
Is the "low fuel" light lit?
Supposedly the sender can stick, but the light's always correct.
Mike
mjl1147
QUOTE(elsargento @ Dec 31 2009, 04:39 PM) *

I might be barking up the wrong tree but for me not uncommon. Seems like when my gauge reads around 1/4 tank I start getting the bucking syndrome. Is it possible the tank is lower than what the gauge reads and the pump is sucking air? I can drive through it with acceleration but when I back off it starts the hucka buck..Does any of this make sense? welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I've had the same experence. Believe the light, the gauge can be off.
elsargento
Well no light for low fuel level. but then the bulb might be burned out. I'll check the bulb manana. welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
osvolant
Make yourself a dip stick from a piece of wood dowel. Periodically dip your tank and compare those readings to your fuel gauge as you go thru a tank of gas. Can't do this in most cars but it's easy in a 914.
swl
constriction in fuel delivery somewhere? Mind you that should get worse under accelleration not better.
jonferns
QUOTE(osvolant @ Jan 1 2010, 12:02 AM) *

Make yourself a dip stick from a piece of wood dowel. Periodically dip your tank and compare those readings to your fuel gauge as you go thru a tank of gas. Can't do this in most cars but it's easy in a 914.

Yep, just like the early bugs. Its great having to stop periodically on long trips to dip a wooden stick into the tank to see how much fuel you have laugh.gif
Spoke
My 74 2L FI engine did the same thing at low fuel levels. Just slight bucking here and there. I attributed this to air bubbles from the movement of fuel in the fuel tank pickup.

Since fuel is going into the tank from the return fuel line and fuel is being sucked into the fuel line right next to the returned fuel, it would seem that at low fuel levels that the returning fuel could be causing bubbles which are sucked back into the fuel pickup.

Conversely, if the fuel level is low and you do a quick turn and uncover the fuel intake in the tank, air bubbles again are introduced into the fuel system and are injected into the cylinders instead of gas.

My solution to this in my 914 and 911 is to use the 1/2 tank level as the refuel level.
underthetire
Only asking, but are the return line and supply line reversed?
orange914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jan 1 2010, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(osvolant @ Jan 1 2010, 12:02 AM) *

Yep, just like the early bugs. Its great having to stop periodically on long trips to dip a wooden stick into the tank to see how much fuel you have laugh.gif

my old 57 bus just had a "reserve" lever for when it ran out... and this was o.e. sad.gif

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.