Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Overflow line for brake reservoir
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I got the brakes done, but I have know idea what to use for the overflow line and how it runs down to the ground.

Help!
URY914
Overflow line? Picture please.
Mike Bellis
My brakes don't have an overflow line??? Cap is tight no fluid in or out.
tod914
Bill there are just 2 plastic lines that go from the MC to the brake fluid reservoir. Is that what your refering to? I just got done changing the hoses on mine while the tank was out.

Click to view attachment

PanelBilly
There is a place to conect a line in the back of the reservoir so if it overfilled the brake fluid drains to the ground. I assume it runs into the gas tank cavity and out one of the openings under the tank
6freak
that is correct Billy ....all 914-6 had them cause the reservoir is from a 911...you have a 911 reservoir
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 1 2010, 04:10 PM) *

Bill there are just 2 plastic lines that go from the MC to the brake fluid reservoir. Is that what your refering to? I just got done changing the hoses on mine while the tank was out.

Click to view attachment

Sure is purdy under that tank. You should leave it out so we can admire it... lol-2.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(6freak @ Jan 1 2010, 07:13 PM) *

that is correct Billy ....all 914-6 had them cause the reservoir is from a 911...you have a 911 reservoir

That explains why I couldn't find it in the manual. What did they use on your car?
6freak
I have the 911 reservoir ...Its just a clear tube that will withstand brakefluid.....and you prolly know DONT GET IT ON THE PAINT
PanelBilly
I used a funnel and lots of rags around the area just in case I dripped.
914Sixer
It goes down along the other brake lines through a groment in the vacant hole and drips out on the front suspension cover. Later cars (72-) did not have this. Rotted out lots of suspension covers.
pbanders
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 2 2010, 07:37 AM) *

It goes down along the other brake lines through a groment in the vacant hole and drips out on the front suspension cover. Later cars (72-) did not have this. Rotted out lots of suspension covers.

My body's a '70, not a 6, and I've got the overflow tube, too. As you say, must have been only on the early cars.
tod914
Maybe have it feen into some kind of container you can access, if you plan on using it.
detoxcowboy
This venting reservior nipple is just that a vent not an overflow, atmosperic pressure..

Why would you ever need an over flow after filling? Your filling flow would choke that nipple in a capfull..

I have a 74 2.0 with said MC reservior nipple, the previous MC resivior had the nipple as well. I had the thought that it kept the system from being completely air tight so the fluid would be ably to move. (like your finger on the tip of a straw of root beer..) In fact I have plugged this "911 nipple" when changing Master Cylinders and not a drop of brake fluid came down the feed lines. Also a curiousity is on my Charcoal Cannister is another nipple of same size but is solid no holes so you can actually use it as the plug for the MC with windershield clear wiper tubing ect when working of the brakes.,,

My opinion is it is not an over flow, to small to be efective of flow and to far to the ground to be of value for any realistic overflow.. It is a Vent

or I am completely missing my brain on this..Click to view attachment

detoxcowboy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 1 2010, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 1 2010, 04:10 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Sure is purdy under that tank. You should leave it out so we can admire it... lol-2.gif

I can see what he is talking about in your Reservior Picture..
jk76.914
I ordered a new reservoir when I was reassembling my '76, and it came through with the overflow nipple. My opinion is that it IS for overflow, because on a 911 that is used on the track, you may have occasion to swap out your brake pads frequently. If your reservoir is topped off, and you press your pistons into the calipers, you may very well overflow. I also surmise that if you were running really hot, there could be enough expansion at the caliper end to overflow a topped off reservoir. Some of the early tests on 911 in the mountains really heated the heck out of the brakes.

Also, when I bled my brakes using a pressure system at the master cylinder, it filled the master cylinder with fluid, and then came down the overflow tube you see in the pictures. I had to clamp off the tube under the car to do the job.

My tube follows the brake lines into the hellhole, and out next to the tube from the air distributor.

By the way, once I figured out what to do, I also discovered that the clips you see in the picture were still available from Porsche. I got them new for short money from Stoddards.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.