Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need front suspension help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I am pulling the front suspension from the 73 parts car and have hit a dead end. Everything is loose and its all ready to drop, but the front tips on the torsion bars ar still attached to the body.

There is supposedly a 'chesehead screw' holding the forward end caps (from the factory manual), on the torsion bar ends. I have up to a 7mm hex key but nothing seems to fit.

What will take the screw off? Its probabably really easy but this guy cant figure it out...

Thanks up front.
Brad Roberts
Its 8mm.

You can leave them on the car. The control arms will slide out from behind them.

B
JeffBowlsby
Thanks Brad...somehow I thought you'd be the first to respond. I will try the 'push them out with the foot' method...

I have your rear arms in will call....or the next time I see you.
L8Apex
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif Always work
Brad Roberts
HUm.. I think you may be asking the wrong question.

The front tips are not part of the control arms. Those are protectors for the control arms. You still have to remove the 2 17mm bolts that sit on either side of the front control arm mount. (They are supposed to be 17mm) who knows what is holding it now.

B
URY914
Be careful taking all that front end stuff a part. It is REAL heavy when you're laying on your back holding it up with one hand and turning the wrench with the other.
Don't be directly under it when it falls!
(don't ask me how I know)
Brad Roberts
I normally just drop the cross bar and control arms and leave the struts hanging. This way I can use the torsion bar tensions to help pop off the ball joints by holding the rotor up with a floor jack (rest of car on stands)

It's a major pain in the ass to get the struts off the ball joints when the assembly is not in the car.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.