Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help on 1.8 FI revival
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver74insocal
hi guys, trying to get my 1.8 to fire up and had a few questions.

i removed the fuel pump and tested it with a 12 v battery, it whuurrs away when energized but i soaked it in gas for a few hours just in case.my question is when the key is in the on position, should it start spooling up, or does this occur when the key is moved to the start position?

i replaced all the rubber fuel lines and checked the plastic ones, they should be fine for start up but will get replaced before hitting the street. i noticed in the tech notebook it shows a reducing hose between the supply line and the filter (from 10 ID to 8 ID) but couldnt find such a thing on pelican parts. is this available? is there a substitute or a way aroung this for now? i hate having that 10 ID hose going straight to the filter but its snug.

i also was wondering if a timing light could be used to check the fuel injector wire while cranking the engine. just wondering confused24.gif

and as this is my first 914, should i hold the throttle open when turning over? or does the cold start valve take care of this.

and finally, i noticed one of the wires going to the resistor pack has broken off of the resistor, will this keep the engine from starting?

this car has been sitting for quite a few years so when introducing fuel and electricity i am trying to be cautious. i would hate to burn down my newly purchased 40 year old house with my newly purchased 40 year old car biggrin.gif

thanks for any input you guys have and happy motoring, Dave
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jan 2 2010, 09:14 PM) *

hi guys, trying to get my 1.8 to fire up and had a few questions.

i removed the fuel pump and tested it with a 12 v battery, it whuurrs away when energized but i soaked it in gas for a few hours just in case.my question is when the key is in the on position, should it start spooling up, or does this occur when the key is moved to the start position?

The fuel pump on an L-Jet system (what is in the 1.8L) only runs when the key is in the start position, or when the air flow meter flap is opened. To test, take the yellow wire off the starter, and turn the key to the start position. The fuel pump should run. Then with the key on, open the air flow meter flap with your finger. The fuel pump should run.

i replaced all the rubber fuel lines and checked the plastic ones, they should be fine for start up but will get replaced before hitting the street. i noticed in the tech notebook it shows a reducing hose between the supply line and the filter (from 10 ID to 8 ID) but couldnt find such a thing on pelican parts. is this available? is there a substitute or a way aroung this for now? i hate having that 10 ID hose going straight to the filter but its snug.

There is a Mercedes Benz diesel fuel hose that is nicknamed the "cigar hose" that will replace that odd sized hose. A more permanent fix is to go to the local hardware store or home supply place and buy a 5/16 male barb fitting and a 3/8 female barb fitting. Screw the two together and you have a permanent metal adapter.

i also was wondering if a timing light could be used to check the fuel injector wire while cranking the engine. just wondering confused24.gif

A timing light won't trigger off the low voltage. What you need is a "noid" light for Bosch fuel injections systems. They are available at any FLAPS.

and as this is my first 914, should i hold the throttle open when turning over? or does the cold start valve take care of this.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OPEN THE THROTTLE WHILE CRANKING. The car can backfire through the airbox, and that will warp the flap. If that happens, take the air flow meter off and toss it in the garbage, because it is ruined. Bosch (and the later Japanese licensed versions) later added a backfire valve to the Air flow meter, but the 914 one doesn't have it.

and finally, i noticed one of the wires going to the resistor pack has broken off of the resistor, will this keep the engine from starting?

The dropping resistors supply power to the injectors, so with a broken wire on the resistor pack the best case is you will have one dead cylinder. Worst case is you have broken the center wire, and that will completely cut the power to all 4 injectors.

this car has been sitting for quite a few years so when introducing fuel and electricity i am trying to be cautious. i would hate to burn down my newly purchased 40 year old house with my newly purchased 40 year old car biggrin.gif

thanks for any input you guys have and happy motoring, Dave

I suggest, from having the experience of watching my wife's 914 burn, that you replace the fuel lines with a set of stainless steel lines BEFORE you try to start it. And purchase a good fire extinguisher.

Hope that helps!

silver74insocal
awesome response Clay thank you very much. from what you've told me here i am glad it didnt fire up!! im just wondering how the heck they sold this car in the early seventies. did they instruct you at the dealer not to push on the gas when starting? any how thanks again fer the great info, i was hoping to hear her run before dropping more ben franklins but might as well get it over with and put the entire fuel line issue to bed. cheers!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.