Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: How does one reverse a starter motor's rotation?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I am looking for alternatives to my corvair starter. It is essentially a GM starter for a car form the late 60s-70s, but it spins the opposite of all other starters. I did not bring it home with me so I am not sure if it is a permanent magnet one or not (I think it is due to the screws in the side of the case the are probably the retainer screws for the magnets). If I can just buy a GM starter or higher torque starter that I can reverse that would save me some $$ most likely.
wilchek
Mike,

if it is a dc motor just reversing the power will make it run backwards. for AC you will need to move winding leads. Check this out http://www.ehow.com/how_4646590_make-elect...-backwards.html

This all assumes a simple electric motor, it should be doable but who knows what other variables you may find in the started that may make this complicated.
Bartlett 914
Reversing the motor may be easy but my first thought was about the gear. I am not sure but I think the mechanism engaging the gear to the flywheel may be wrong. Think right hand vs. left hand. You want to make sure the gear disengages after the motor starts.
Dr Evil
They are DC motors, but from what I found by searching was that it is not just simple wire swapping. However, I think most of the sites I found were referring to older starters. The motor and solenoid can be swapped into the gear drive and housing from the corvair starter. I need to see about which wires to swap as some alts have 4 brushes contacting the commutator and not all are the same polarity, etc. I need to get a parts one and gut it to look into it, but I am gonna wait for that.

Thanks for the link. I havent looked into it yet, but will when I get back. smile.gif
McMark
I think Mark has it right. The twist of the starter operating is what forces the gear out to mesh with the ring gear. If you reverse the rotation your gear won't pop out, it'll spin the right way, it just won't touch the ring gear and turn the motor.
wilchek
I agree the bendix will probably only work in the proper direction. Has anyone broken one of these apart. If I remember correctly they are a simple set up that has a helical gears and a spring. You may need a reverse of the helical gear to make it work. You might be better off in finding a starter guy that can beef up the stock unit. I bet they can make it stronger. These guys are near me http://www.expertautoelectric.com/Home_Page.php. I don't have any experience with them but I can ask around.
jt914-6
Buy a starter made for Australian 914's........... lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
I would use the special parts from the corvair starter (front assembly, bendix, etc). However, I am of the belief now that the stock starters are not going to be reliable as the second one is struggling to flip the engine with the plugs in. It is only an 8.2:1 CR but bumped up 400cc from 2.7L to 3.1L happy11.gif
r_towle
Call these guys...very cool.

Chelmsford Auto Electric.
tyngsboro MA.

They only build and supply electric motors for cars/truck/boats.
they happen to be right down the street from me.

They rebuild anything and they know what works...very nice over the phone and would probably be able to help you.

Rich
Dr Evil
Interesting little tidbit I found on the corvair forums smile.gif

"Corvair starters turn in the same direction as other GM starters.
They are mounted on the trans side of the flywheel to turn the engine in the opposite direction."

Easy peasy smile.gif
ClayPerrine
Get a big block chevy starter. That should turn your wimpy little motor over nicely. biggrin.gif
andys
We used to reverse the rotation on old Ford starters by rotating the brush plate 90 degrees. Easy to do by simply drilling two new holes in the end plate and re-clocking it.

Andys
VaccaRabite
What starters are the Corvair aircraft guys using? I have seen several references to 3.1 motors being built for flight. I'd imagine that they would have the same issue. Maybe more so as they are built for higher compression due to the AvGas they can burn.

Zach
Dr Evil
Corvaircraft starters wont work as they are reversed. I dont need a reversed starter as the starter for the corvair is on the trans side (already reverses rotation). I decided to get a new hi torque one from the manufacturer and be done with it. It should be here Fri. Too bad I will be leaving town Sat back on Sun night.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.