Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
I am ready to get a new set of tires and remember reading a post or 2 that said the Michelin Pilots were not worth the money. The P6000 Pirelli is a good candidate (I'm looking at 205/60/15's) but read a few reviews saying they were noisy, anyone here have an opinion??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Socalandy
Im really happy with my Dunlop Direzza tires, grippy but not too soft and I can still drift the car when push just right. 205/50/15 on 2L fuchs

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee driving.gif
DBCooper
So you like them, huh? Last time I was buying tires I heard so many good things about the Direzza's that it frankly sounded too good to be true. So I went with the Falken Azenis again. Since I was there buying tires because the Azenis don't wear that well I've been thinking ever since that was probably one of those signs, you know? That I totally missed. Good to hear you like those Direzzas.

underthetire
What ya doin with the tires?

I put DiamondBack tires on mine. A guy local delivered them for 200 for all 4 in 205/50/16. Did a little research in them first, and found out they make tires for goodyear (some models), so I figured what the hell. Well, they balanced with almost no weight added. A little slippery at first, but now they stick fine for aggressive street driving. Remember when, " i wouldn't buy something from a company called Falkan, or Kumho", now they are everywhere. Anyway, I like em, and they are cheap just like me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW-TIRES...=item518f7cfd31
detoxcowboy
Ian Stott
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 3 2010, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jan 3 2010, 06:47 AM) *

I am ready to get a new set of tires and remember reading a post or 2 that said the Michelin Pilots were not worth the money. The P6000 Pirelli is a good candidate (I'm looking at 205/60/15's) but read a few reviews saying they were noisy, anyone here have an opinion??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Depends on what you want.. It is subjective.. I would only use other peoples opinion as a start point ...TireRack.Com.. read the spider charts they do not lie..

What are spider charts? Driving style will be at the most, ocassional spirited, no track and light pleasure when my main squeeze is with me.
jt914-6
I really like my Yokohama ES100's. A teener friend also has them and likes them too. I like the tread design and they look like they'd be good in the rain although I haven't tried them in wet conditions. Got them from the Tire Rack. Your weather may be too cold for these tires though.....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes
carreraguy
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 3 2010, 10:47 AM) *

Im really happy with my Dunlop Direzza tires, grippy but not too soft and I can still drift the car when push just right.

agree.gif I have Z-1's and have been very happy with them both on the track and streets.
Ian Stott
Any comments on the Michelin's or the Pirelli's??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
detoxcowboy
Ian Stott
Thanks to all who posted comments, no winter driving ever!!! If it looks like rain It stays in the garage! Was looking for sticky and quiet and comments from fellow members, as opposed to comments on a site where I don't know if the people know what they are talking about.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
detoxcowboy
black73
I used the Tirerack charts a couple of years ago to help me decide on the Pilot Exalto A/S. I've been very happy with them. Smooth, quiet ride just as described.

Mark Henry
Ian, if you know a shop that will install your tires you can get any of the Tirerack tires, still works out a good price.
Some shops will be pissed because they don't get the tire sale but others don't care, to them work is work.
roadster fan
Because I do drive in the rain, I did research and ended up with Pilot Exalto A/S's. I could not be happier and actually tracked them at Streets of Willow last summer at the West Coast Ramble. Liked em so much put them on my wife's Mazda 5. That being said, if I was gonna use em in dry conditions only I would go with a summer high performance tire rather than an all season.

Jim
Jakeodoule
I have the pilots. I like em. I put them on my Scion as well. They seem to be wearing well and grip is good. They are not the stickiest tires but for all round driving I think they're great. I don't autocross or race my car. Just street use.

agentblr
I had a set of the P6000 pirelis on my audi.....loudest tire I have ever owned. Even worse on my sister's 330xi Beemer, I would steer clear of them (pun intended).
Mike Bellis
I put Yokohama Advan's on mine... Don't buy these. It's a summer only tire. when the temp is below 80 the become very loose. they have a tread wear of 60, pick up everything on the road and are totally uncontrollable if the road is slick. If you like only doing bunouts then do but these.
Gint
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2010, 04:17 PM) *
Ian, if you know a shop that will install your tires you can get any of the Tirerack tires, still works out a good price.
Some shops will be pissed because they don't get the tire sale but others don't care, to them work is work.
You might be able to do better than that. Tirerack has certified installers. At least they do in the US, they might not in Canada. During check out for your tire purchase you can view and select shops in your area. They will ship the tires directly to the installer shop, and then you arrange with the shop to mount/balance the tires for you at a reasonable price. I did it once last winter with a set of snows for the wife's car. Worked out great!
FlatIV
I thought this is an interesting article that kind of applies to this thread.

Tire test

Andrew
Joe Ricard
Dizerra star specs
Bridgestone RE-11
Kumho XS
Hankook RS3

Choose your poison all of them are better than the tires listed in above posts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.