Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weight of 1.8L engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
I know the subaru engine weighs 285 lbs. anyone know the 914 engine weight?

-Peter
codices
Seems like I have seen 275#. Someone may have a more exact weight.

Dave
Cevan
Until someone puts one on a scale, I'm going to have a hard time with 275 lbs. for a long block. My wife (all 120 lbs of her) and I lifted a motor from a pickup to the ground, with the engine bar attached. Oh, and in case you're wondering, she's not a power lifter.
underthetire
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jan 3 2010, 02:28 PM) *

Until someone puts one on a scale, I'm going to have a hard time with 275 lbs. for a long block. My wife (all 120 lbs of her) and I lifted a motor from a pickup to the ground, with the engine bar attached. Oh, and in case you're wondering, she's not a power lifter.

I just lifted my long block as well, it had heat exchangers on it. I would guess 250.
Cevan
With my engine apart, I just weighed various parts of it (case halves, heads, crank with gears, camshaft, bearings, lifters, head studs, case thru bolts, case hardware, oil pump, engine mounts, pistons, cylinders, pins, valve covers, oil filler, sump plate, oil temp sender w/plate, oil baffle, thermostat, spark plugs, dizzy drive). It came to 163 lbs. I did not include the engine bar, any engine tin, fan, flywheel, clutch, dizzy, FI, or fan shroud.
DBCooper
From the chart you see everywhere (HERE for example) it shows:

VW T1 250 lbs
VW T4 311 lbs
Subaru 2.2 269 lbs (aero conversion)

The same chart is updated with a few variations added HERE, but in the past people in other forums (VW, SBC, Alfa, Porsche, etc.) have doubted these numbers. Still, it's what you see. Tell you what, though, trying to muscle that WRX motor around by myself I though it was heavier than the T4 motors I was used to. Unfortunately I didn't weigh it before putting it in, sorry. What I can tell you, though, is that it carries its own weight and then some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.