Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Long
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbanders
For those you with D-Jet 1.7 and 2.0 motors, assuming you haven't ripped out your aux air regulator, how long does it keep your idle high after a cold start (left sitting for 3+ hours)? On a cold start with my car, turning the key with no throttle input starts the car, which immediate jumps to 1700 rpm. After about 3 minutes, it drops to idle speed, approx 1000 rpm.

How does your cold start / engine speed sequence go?
SirAndy
QUOTE(pbanders @ Jan 4 2010, 03:44 PM) *

For those you with D-Jet 1.7 and 2.0 motors, assuming you haven't ripped out your aux air regulator, how long does it keep your idle high after a cold start (left sitting for 3+ hours)? On a cold start with my car, turning the key with no throttle input starts the car, which immediate jumps to 1700 rpm. After about 3 minutes, it drops to idle speed, approx 1000 rpm.

How does your cold start / engine speed sequence go?

My '70 1.7L D-Jet was about the same. 2-3 minutes ...

bye1.gif Andy
SLITS
Never timed it ...
tod914
Think mine is about 4-5 minutes, 1200-1300 rpm down to 950. My 74 took abit longer despite changeing AARs. Maybe 10 minutes.
Cevan
The '75 L-Jet was about 2-3 minutes. The '74 D-Jet was closer to 8-10 minutes.
shoguneagle
I think you are ok as I get the same on my Jeep, on my Alfa Romeo Spider, on my Vette, on my Chev Pickup. All go along the lines of the other member ranges: Cold start 1,500 then about 2 - 3 minutes later drops to about 1,000 rpm. We are located at 7,000 ft and the temperature geets down to zero or below during the early morning hours.

If it goes to higher rpm and does not come back you have problems.

Hi, Sir Andy

Steve Hurt
914_teener
Brad,

My 1.7 goes for about 2-3 minutes 1400 RPM's. Then down to 950 RPM.
N14
My 74 d-jet maybe 8-10 minutes.
tracks914
On a cold morning, 45-50F it doesn't come off at all on my way to work. (8 minutes)
On a hot day, it still takes about 5 minutes.
Bleyseng
Mine start off at 1800 rpms and ends at 1150 after 3-4 minutes...Jake 9550 cam thou..so cold idle is rough for about 1 minute.(too rich) dry.gif
pbanders
Thanks to all. Looks like a cluster of 3-4 minutes and a cluster of 8-10 minutes. I tried adding a 5 ohm ballast resistor to the AAR heater wire - if it had any effect in extending the time, it was minimal. I'll keep playing around with it. I'm going to put my vacuum gauge on the intake side of it and watch it over the first 10 minutes after cold start to see what happens.
montoya 73 2.0
My 73 2.0 D-Jet owners manual says to not warm up the engine in neutral. To drive off immediately using low engine RPM for the first few miles. Is this something for just the engine break-in or is it forever?
tod914
Brad of 4 units that I tested after warm up while mounted, they all seem to have slow leaks and pull vaccume. Be curious to see if yours does the same.
SirAndy
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 5 2010, 12:26 PM) *

My 73 2.0 D-Jet owners manual says to not warm up the engine in neutral. To drive off immediately using low engine RPM for the first few miles. Is this something for just the engine break-in or is it forever?

But that's different.
The AAR will still keep the idle up for a few minutes, even if you start to drive right away.
The AAR does NOT work off engine heat!
As soon as the AAR gets power, it will heat up by itself and close when warm, regardless of the engine temperature.

And yes, you should always start driving as soon as possible. Do not let a cold car idle for a longer period of time.
shades.gif Andy
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2010, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jan 5 2010, 12:26 PM) *

But that's different.
The AAR will still keep the idle up for a few minutes, even if you start to drive right away.
The AAR does NOT work off engine heat!
As soon as the AAR gets power, it will heat up by itself and close when warm, regardless of the engine temperature.

And yes, you should always start driving as soon as possible. Do not let a cold car idle for a longer period of time.
shades.gif Andy

pray.gif Thank you Ol' wise Yoda!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.