914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
ahdoman
Sold
jim_hoyland
oooooohhhhhh.... smile.gif
sixaddict
aaaahhhhhhh! smile.gif
ahdoman
Will you guys please stop drooling on my post! I spent a lot of time polishing this thing!
Lou W
drooley.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 5 2010, 10:18 AM) *

Jim i think that's the next step for your 914. You've already modded everything else! Time for a power mod biggrin.gif
tradisrad
What is the HP output of the engine?
-Rob
ahdoman
According to the specs in Wayne's book; 140hp.
Eric_Shea
Jim i think that's the next step for your 914. You've already modded everything else! Time for a power mod

agree.gif

And... Steve is "giving" it away.

(see you at NAMM Steve?)
ahdoman
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 6 2010, 08:21 AM) *

Jim i think that's the next step for your 914. You've already modded everything else! Time for a power mod

agree.gif

(see you at NAMM Steve?)

Yeah, I'll be there again walking the aisles with all the old burnt out rockers and the young guns that I don't recognize.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 6 2010, 11:21 AM) *

agree.gif

(see you at NAMM Steve?)

This is a smokin' deal and a free bump.

I'd try over on the bird plus Early S boards and swap out the cooler.
Rav914
PM sent.
jmill
I'm real interested in this myself. The CIS would have to go. What would it take to put some carbs on that thing. I know the cams would need to be changed. Would I have to swap out the heads too?
ahdoman
QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 7 2010, 10:44 AM) *

I'm real interested in this myself. The CIS would have to go. What would it take to put some carbs on that thing. I know the cams would need to be changed. Would I have to swap out the heads too?

The 2.4 CIS does not take well to carbs. The main problem is not the cams or pistons but rather that the injector is on the head not on the intake. As a result the injector hole in the head needs to be plugged which means the heads need to come off the engine to do that

In regards to eliminating the CIS; it is a very reliable system. After having both carbs and CIS I prefer the CIS. No cold start problems, better mileage and I don't think there would be a power gain on this mild of an engine.
pete-stevers
best of luck on the sale...bump...nab it some one!!,
jmill
I'm on the look-out for a 911/50 or 53. I haven't found one without needing some serious work or $. I assume this is a 911/91 with 8.0:1?
ahdoman
John - Case case ser# is 6129111 which leads me to believe it is a 911/61. That reference is from Wayne's book.
koozy
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Jan 7 2010, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 7 2010, 10:44 AM) *

The 2.4 CIS does not take well to carbs. The main problem is not the cams or pistons but rather that the injector is on the head not on the intake. As a result the injector hole in the head needs to be plugged which means the heads need to come off the engine to do that

In regards to eliminating the CIS; it is a very reliable system. After having both carbs and CIS I prefer the CIS. No cold start problems, better mileage and I don't think there would be a power gain on this mild of an engine.

PMO makes a phenolic spacer for the use of carbs on a CIS head. It covers the injector "notch" and is made specifically for this purpose. I think they were $45 when I got them last.
jcd914
This sounds like a great engine for a great price, if there was any way I could swing the price I would be arranging to go see this engine.
I think the 2.4 CIS is a great engine for a light car. The small diameter intake runners and ports keep the intake velocity up and makes for a very drivable torque curve.

The PMO spacers are for the 74 and later CIS engines that have the injectors in the cast aluminum intake runners and only have a notch in the side of the intake port in the heads. The 2.4 has the injectors in holes machined in the heads very similar to the mechanical injected 911 engines.

Jim
koozy
Ah, I see that now. They are press in with an O ring, and not threaded? I have used threaded plugs for the MFI holes. Maybe not the same thing?
markb
icon_bump.gif
Wish I could afford to do this. Of course then I'd have to upgrade the brakes & suspension, new wheels & tires, might as well flare it, then paint.....it's a slippery slope. biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Jan 5 2010, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 5 2010, 10:18 AM) *

Jim i think that's the next step for your 914. You've already modded everything else! Time for a power mod biggrin.gif

I'm looking ino it. I prefer FI for starters, checking with my mechanic to see if he is up to it--the change is beyond my ability.
kconway
Do it Jim! That would be a fantastic upgrade. Wish I could swing it.

I'm wondering if you could do this without an external oil cooler for a street car?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 8 2010, 09:37 AM) *

I'm wondering if you could do this without an external oil cooler for a street car?

Ext oil cooler not needed for our kind of driving laugh.gif
jmill
This thing is keeping me awake at night. headbang.gif

Somebody buy it before I have too.
ahdoman
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 8 2010, 09:37 AM) *

Kevin - I don't think the early 911's (73.5 and earlier) had external oil coolers so the only cooler was the one on the engine. I've had a couple of people tell me that they run 2.4's without an external. However, when the engine was still in the car it had an external cooler on it but it was located under the rear trunk. That's a whole lot easier to do than put one up front.
SLITS
And, without looking at the 2.4L I have, I would say you could tap the injector holes for a plug without much problem. All you would have to do is use heavy grease on the tap to capture the shards.

Now, no one has an excuse.

But, CIS would be much preferable to the carbs anyway.

As far as running an external oil cooler, the only reason there was one on the Turd is the original 2.4L in it was running very warm (spell hot) as the engine was really tired and had a couple of pulled studs, etc. I have been told an external oil cooler on it is a good idea as flat sixes don't cool that well in the Teener configuration.

Steve, did you do the mod to the cooling baffles prior to assembly? Supposedly, that is good for 10 - 20 degrees cooler running.

Also, with addition of 914/6 exhaust you pick up a few horsepower (can you say header type exhaust) as the 911 stock is a bit restrictive.
ahdoman
Yeah Ron, I did all the mods; cooling tin, piston squirters and oil bypass.
kconway
icon_bump.gif Just curious...did this sell? drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.