Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Factory Manual binder set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
I got these with the parts car I got a few months ago, I also have a older "Clymer" book and of course the occasionally use full Haynes(but usually not). I have used this book when something wasn't clearly outlined in one of the other books, it has a bit more info, Except when it comes to the heavy duty stuff, then there is alot more, it also covers the 914-6 engine... the set looks to be older, from a dealer maybe? The pages are not all grease stained but there are a few, they were not stored in a library setting so they are not perfect. Anyways I see pelican sells a"factory" manual but their picture looks totally different from mine. So are these anything special? do I need to take really good care of them cause they are worth alot? Thanks guys

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
So are these anything special?

Yes.

Porsche Workshop manual. Worth some decent money to the right buyer.

Keep 'em!
biggrin.gif Andy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you have a strange set. Usually they are eight volumes including a separate one for 914-6 engine and fuel. They also do not have the vw symbol in the top of the binder only the Porsche crest. Must be for another english speaking country. They are however the original burgandy binder type before the factory went to the cheap gray bindered repros

QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Jan 5 2010, 11:19 AM) *

I got these with the parts car I got a few months ago, I also have a older "Clymer" book and of course the occasionally use full Haynes(but usually not). I have used this book when something wasn't clearly outlined in one of the other books, it has a bit more info, Except when it comes to the heavy duty stuff, then there is alot more, it also covers the 914-6 engine... the set looks to be older, from a dealer maybe? The pages are not all grease stained but there are a few, they were not stored in a library setting so they are not perfect. Anyways I see pelican sells a"factory" manual but their picture looks totally different from mine. So are these anything special? do I need to take really good care of them cause they are worth alot? Thanks guys

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2010, 10:30 AM) *

you have a strange set. Usually they are eight volumes including a separate one for 914-6 engine and fuel. They also do not have the vw symbol in the top of the binder only the Porsche crest. Must be for another english speaking country. They are however the original burgandy binder type before the factory went to the cheap gray bindered repros

UK maybe? After all, the 914 was sold through VW-Porsche in Europe ...

idea.gif Andy
jhadler
Yes, take care of them. I think I bought my factory set about 15 years ago for $300 and it was a good deal at the time.

Not everyone needs or wants one. But if and when you do, they're quite handy to have around.

-Josh2
wayne1234
at the bottom of some pages it says "printed in Germany" and dates 1969 1970
IronHillRestorations
One thing to indicate they are an older version is the metal grommets around the pull holes on the spine, later burgundy colored versions have the hole but no grommet.

This is a good find! I keep mine clean by copying the pages I need and using the copies on/around the car as they'll get dirty.
Dave_Darling
Check the electrical book; does it have the full-color wiring diagrams? Recent printings, I believe, have B&W diagrams, while the older ones have color ones.

--DD
wayne1234
Well I guess it is a older print, here is a shot from the book, also it says "except USA" Also I noticed while I was looking for the elect diagrams there was a picture of the rear of a car, the emblem on the back of the car says VW and Porsche, that is way cool... I kinda want one?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
There should also be a '71 wiring diagram for the USA. The ROW cars were wired differently.

And yes, the 914 was sold by VW-Porsche anywhere else but the US.

They were badged accordingly.
shades.gif Andy
type47
See if the set covers the 1.8L L-jet, the 2.0L D-jet and the 75-75 shock bumpers; maybe the set is just an early printing of the workshop manual; you could tell if the aforementioned are present or not.
Mike Bellis
A true 914 fan like you are, you should scan then to a PDF for all of us to enjoy. popcorn[1].gif There's a guy on SF Craigs list selling a complete set (8-9 binders) for $800. They must be worth somthing. He's been trying to sell for months...
type47
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 5 2010, 04:02 PM) *

A true 914 fan like you are, you should scan then to a PDF for all of us to enjoy. popcorn[1].gif There's a guy on SF Craigs list selling a complete set (8-9 binders) for $800.

I would think they are hard to sell for $800 since you could get them online for free.
914Sixer
Possibly a Canadian version. My red 1970 Dealer information guide has the VW_Porsche logo on it. I bought it from a Canadian dealer.
GeorgeRud
I've had my set "forever", and it's definitely one of those things that you like to have. The information is available elsewhere, but they sure look pretty on the bookshelf!
wayne1234
Looks like it covers the 1.7 and the Six cyl. and no shock absorber bumpers, so It must be a early one .... Thanks for all the help identifying what I have, I felt like I had overpaid a little bit for my parts car but it was close and a easy transaction, and now this seems to make it feel even a little better, may be tempted to sell them once I'm finished now, but who knows, I usually end up holding on to things just in case
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 5 2010, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 5 2010, 04:02 PM) *

A true 914 fan like you are, you should scan then to a PDF for all of us to enjoy. popcorn[1].gif There's a guy on SF Craigs list selling a complete set (8-9 binders) for $800.

I would think they are hard to sell for $800 since you could get them online for free.

I have not been able to find them online. Do you know a link? Maybe I'm just not searching the right key words... screwy.gif
type47
Sorry, I used the word "could" since they were available online awhile ago but my fuzzy thinking recalls some problem with copyright and the Porsche organization legal arm making them take down off the internet. That said, PM me and we can talk offline.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.