Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strong Arm VS. Gas Shock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
Looking for a way to hold up my headlights, however, i don't want them to just pop up when driving. A gas shock would force the thing up similar to the gt style headlight kits. My buddy mentioned using strong arms, similar to those found on a truck bed topper or toyota hood. the strong arm only goes up with the assistance of you manually pulling up, and when its down it stays down. Would this work or should i just try to mimic a gt style headlight kit with gas shocks
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jan 5 2010, 10:32 AM) *

Looking for a way to hold up my headlights, however, i don't want them to just pop up when driving.

unsure.gif

So, you want to be able to turn on the lights but not have them pop up?

I'm confused ...
confused24.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
That "strong arm" setup sounds a lot like a spring or hydraulic lift with "over-center" action. When the light is closed, the spring pushes it in the closed direction, but when you open it partway the linkage goes "over center" and the spring starts pushing it in the open direction.

A spring to push open and a catch to hold it shut is simpler to set up. The over-center linkage is more elegant, but harder to set up. You'll still need some way to initiate the action; a cable to release the catch or some way to start the lights moving until they get to the "center" part of the motion.

--DD
turnaround89
I removed the headlight motors, going for the gt style headlight pop ups. Just was trying to make my own version so i don't have to spend $600 for a kit
SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jan 5 2010, 12:00 PM) *

I removed the headlight motors, going for the gt style headlight pop ups. Just was trying to make my own version so i don't have to spend $600 for a kit

Aha!

If you can get your hands on a Opel GT, they have a interesting manual setup...
idea.gif Andy
Rand
Andy, you made me search Youtube on that one. Curiosity got the best of me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EUEEeRrv3c
Interesting design.
Smitty911
I used to own a 70's Opel GT, loved it, the lights were cool, pull the handle the lights flipped over and turned on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.