Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Do you have other "toy" cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
Well, I have always been into cars as I'm sure most of you are,the thing is it is getting cramped around our house and drive, I'm thinking of selling off some cars and bikes. My Audi TT was my baby until about 2 years ago, I tore it down to do a timing belt and go big turbo, and other engine stuff and kinda fell out of love with it during the process, it took forever to get it back together, and I nixed the big turbo in the process, and just put it back together, I only drive it occasionally, and it is fun but it just doesnt get driven, Also I have a one off built custom chopper that I have extensive custom stuff on it, again it doesnt get driven, I probably only took it out 10-15 times last year, I love the bike but feel guilty having it sit. I have another bike but it is nothing special, I still like the cars and bikes but thinking I might consolidate, keep the Porsche of course. and get one other nice other toy. These are not our daily driven cars, that is a utilitarian purpose and I think of them separately. I know this will have to happen in spring but I'm just seeing what other people have done when the move on to another car...
RJMII
my other car that I probably won't ever get rid of, and that is a 'toy'; is my 74 Dodge Charger. It was graduation present from highschool. It's been in the family for 27 years. My dad bought it when I was in Kindergarten, and kept adding goodies to it, then gave it to me when I graduated. It needs redone now, life got in the way of my ability to take care of it. =o(

Wardsweb
I have a 1955 Chevrolet Belair my grandfather bought new. Poor thing hasn't been out of the garage in the last 6-8 years. Then there is my turbo Mazda Miata. It truely is a toy and fun to drive.
rick 918-S
Where do I begin..... screwy.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2010, 05:06 PM) *

I hear that.
Start at the back right hand corner....the one on the saw horses..
We can call that mine if you want.

Rich
Mike Bellis
I sold off my other toys too. some guy gave me twice what my Mopar was worth... Gotta love factory documentation.... Mopar muscle car + Factory history (used in TV ad) + Documentation = $$$$$$$ piratenanner.gif
shoguneagle
Does not sound like "Where to begin. . . . " but more like "Where to end. . . . ". This is my problem since I have run out of indoor storage, and still want to buy more. I will keep everything fairly tame for the future since I still have to finish my 914-6 project.. I have several runners to drive during the goods months - '04 Vette convertible, '86 Alfa Romeo Spider, '94 Jeep, and '99 Chev Pickup. Enjoy everyone of them. Own several project cars waiting in the wing for resto. Alas, it never ends!!!How all of us must SUFFER!!!!

I really enjoy the sparts cars and their history. Does not matter what it is.

Steve Hurt
Cheapsnake
Factory Five Cobra w/440HP - NEVER! And a 1980 TR8 that is one of the finest LBC's ever but I'm afraid it has to go next summer cuz I just don't have the time to drive it or maintain it.
pktzygt
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about keeping my $2,500 'ish lifted POS truck in addition to my 914 and my wifes' and my daily drivers.
orange914
thinkin' about putting it up 4 sale after 22 years of owning it. don't think i can get what i want though now in this market. helps me justify keeping it smile.gif
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jan 5 2010, 08:24 PM) *

thinkin' about putting it up 4 sale after 22 years of owning it. don't think i can get what i want though now in this market. helps me justify keeping it smile.gif
Click to view attachment

If this is the same car I remember seeing a rear 3/4 view of a couple months back, let me know if you put it on the market. Helping restore my brother's '65 convertible when I was 10 is what got me into cars. Would love to own a nice one myself one day.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 5 2010, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2010, 05:06 PM) *

I hear that.
Start at the back right hand corner....the one on the saw horses..
We can call that mine if you want.

Rich

God were sick... confused24.gif laugh.gif
wayne1234
Glad to see I'm not the only car addict, I haven't had any for near as long as you guys,longest is 5 years currently being owned, I had a custom blazer with a small block shoved into it for almost a decade before, but it is long gone,,, I had a "purpose" for each car and I think this is what is making the current car stash so large, and this summer the wife also picked up a toy car also, so the disease is spreading biggrin.gif ... There are only 2 of us in the house hold and we have 8 cars, 2 bikes, and 2 trailers, Yeah buying plates sucks around here. 2 of which are my yellow porsche and my parts porsche,,,, they are the only non running cars headbang.gif but soon my yellow porsche will back on the road. and I will sell off what I havent used on the parts car. Which leaves 6 cars that can be driven at any time, weather permitting. I have a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 4X4 crew cab, with a flat bed,(gas hog) 10 MPG that I used more when I was building homes and remodeling, but as anybody knows that came to a screeching hault about 2 years ago, at least in this area, I do some occasional work, and I plow snow with it, and salt so I will keep it. I have my 2000 Audi TT Quattro that I'm considering selling, and a 2002 Lincoln Town car That we got to go on trips but dont use that much anymore, that I'm considering selling, A 2002 Ford Explorer that the wife doesnt drive much any more, that I'm also considering selling. And I really dont know what to do about my chopper, I love the way the bike is but I hate seeing it sit, I am kinda afraid to take it many place due to fear something will happen to it, I think that is why I dont ride it much, So I'm really torn on what to do with it,,, we will keep the 2008 Toyota Yaris because we bought it new and she drives it daily to commute to work, over 70 miles per day round trip. We will keep her Slk 350 drop top she got this summer, because it is her baby, and I like it too we have done a few minor upgrades to it happy11.gif If I sell the Audi I kinda want to get a "toy" car to replace the TT, I hope to use the porsche as a vintage cruiser, not really a daily sports car, So whats a guy to do. Maybe come spring time with love in the air I will fall back into love with the Audi grouphug.gif What Else you guys got in the garage , or back yard for that matter, (yep we have 2 cars in the back yard its a red neck thing) lol-2.gif
East coaster
One of my latest...

Click to view attachment
zymurgist
My daily driver... Acura RSX, base 5-speed, nothing fancy, just a nice driver that gets good gas mileage.

IPB Image

My winter beater / dog transporter... rides great on the highway, but it's a pig on gas. I may sell this in favor of a pickup truck in the future.

IPB Image

The Blue Max... the car that opened the door to Porsche ownership for me. It's loads of fun to drive, but I will probably sell it when the market starts to come back so I can get a 914/6.

IPB Image

The Orange Shark. Ever since I was a kid, when I say a gorgeous blue Stingray parked by the side of the road, I wanted a Corvette. So I bought this one in '91 back when it was just an old car. It doesn't have chrome bumpers or a big block, but I did a complete mechanical rebuild 8000 miles ago, and it drives like a new '77. I leave the tops off all summer as it lives in a garage. Mine is the one in the front. wink.gif

Click to view attachment

I'm also intrigued by the Evilcycle, but I haven't seen it in person yet and I haven't taken a motorcycle safety course yet either. But it's on my "to do" list.
abbott295
Does it really count if your other toy doesn't require rustoration too? My other one is a 1975 BMW 1502. The story on that one is that the first car I ever bought on my own after college was a 1968 BMW 1600. Most fun car I ever had. Might have been my age and being single too? Of course, you always envied the 2002's.

I was born in 1952 so I turned 50 in . . . 2002. I planned on having my mid life crisis and getting a 2002 in 2002. Well I finally mentioned it to my wife in November of that year, and she said I could. Well I found this 1502, but with the holidays, I didn't get it bought until January 2003. So I missed it on both counts

I got a bunch of spare parts with it, including 2 blocks, manifolds for single, twin carbs, doors, windows, etc. In one of the door pockets was some paperwork indicating an 1802 with the serial number that matches the number on the engine being insured in Germany. So I guess it has an 1802 engine in it. and maybe one of my blocks is the original engine? Never got around to checking th numbers on the blocks.

I need to learn to weld sheet metal. I find that to be very tricky. She (Zena) and the 914 (whose only name has ever been Porsche or Portia or maybe Porsha) both need much work. But Zena still drives. Porsha was flipped and hasn't been fixed yet but she is sitting on blocks.

And there are a couple of other little used vehicles that should probably be sold off to reduce the monthly insurance bill. The only one that is considered a 'fun' car is the 1992 Nissan NX, nmed Ennexx, 5 speed transmission, won't stay in third and difficult to get into fifth. Needs transmission work, main driver for 22 year old son.
VaccaRabite
Yes, I have other toy cars. Yes I am thinking of selling one because I don't have the time for it. And, yes, I am thinking of buying another that I also won't have the time for - so I should just keep the truck, right?

Zach
gopack
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jan 6 2010, 04:56 AM) *

One of my latest...

Click to view attachment

I always loved the VehiCross! thought it was a hot 4 wheeler, but the public has no taste so it died! Alost bought one cheap, but it was pretty used up! still wnat one! Is that one lifted? looks great!!
TravisG
I, too, have always had an obsession with cars, mostly little british ones. My first car was a brand new 1979 MG Midget, I still have it, mostly taken apart at the moment ( started about 7 years ago, don't plan on selling),

I currently also own a 1973 VW Thing ( also in the rustoration process sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif , It will be the next to receive my attention.

1972 VW Super Beetle (flat windsheild), That I started fixing, but too much rust to economically fix, is a Daily Driver, though.

1972 MGB GT, awaiting v6 conversion, with fender flares to resemble an MGC GTS (look it up, truly a beautiful car and one I have wanted ever since I first laid eyes on it) aktion035.gif

And lastly, 1967 chevy stepside, undergoing and off and on again frame up.

Oh, I almost forgot, 1973 914 2.0, on the front burner, and just about ready for paint, piratenanner.gif

Notice a Trend? All in need of work, Never (except mg midget), Have I bought a toy that I could just get in and drive!!!! I call it the DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH syndrome lol-2.gif It should be covered by health insurance lol-2.gif
wayne1234
Here is the Audi TT

Click to view attachment

Toyota Yaris, big 15" Momo "Winter" wheels, had to ditch the hubcaps. TRD drop springs, shaved emblems, JL Audio 8W7 250/1 JL components up front and 300/4 bridged, cant keep it totally stock of course,

Click to view attachment

Lincoln town car, Grampa chrome fender trim and pillar trim, and a small stereo system, added massaging seats, which are the bomb.

Ram work hoarse and rust spreader, I mean salt spreader

Click to view attachment
wayne1234
The Ram has the Hemi, check out the rust on my salt spreader it is only 2 years old, and it was at least quick washed down after each use!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

agentblr
Geez,you would think they would powdercoat or put on some kind of a rubberized coating to protect the steel from imenent corrsion??
wayne1234
Here is the wifes new drop top, I put in the smart top module, green filters, and took out the joke of a cup holder and put in the "euro" cubby hole.

Click to view attachment

This is kinda a toy when your not actually working

Click to view attachment

914junkie
Click to view attachment
I had to sell my 1965 Buick Riviera last year and it sucked ass. sad.gif It killed me to sell it but something had to go and I have too much love, time and money in my Porsches to get rid of either one. It's hard to let a car go that you are so attached to but sometimes ya gotta do it. I kept in touch with the guy I sold it to and hope to get it back someday. It was my good friends Dad's car and sat in his garage for 30 years. It was hardly ever driven and only had 78K miles on it. I used to ride around in it when I was a little kid. biggrin.gif
Other sold toys over the last five years or so...
71 BMW 2002
76 Mercedes Benz 240D
78 Camaro Z28
85.5 Porsche 944
88 Mercedes Benz 300CE
89 Audi 100 Quattro
90 Audi V8 Quattro
91 Audi 20V Turbo Quattro
93 VW Eurovan GL
89 Honda CB1 400F
2001 Honda CR500R
Wow, I've never listed them like that...I really do have a sickness screwy.gif

Scott S
Our problem is the opposite... we seem to hold on to everything forever. The daily drivers change pretty normally - like every 5 or 6 years - but the toy stuff just accumulates (sp). We have had to move all of that junk 3 times in the past 5 years due to running out of space. Not fun.

Love the Riv and the bobcat!!! The Bobcat it a total man toy....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.