Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy for M&K Mufflers, Interested?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
If you are interested check out the link below-

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102693

Thanks
Gint
I don't even know what an M&K muffler is.
hwgunner
"All M&K Exhaust mufflers are produced utilizing 321 stainless steel. 321 stainless steel is used in the aviation industry for it's higher quality alloys which withstand high heat applications.

M&K Exhaust is the only muffler manufacturer to offer 321 stainless exhaust systems for Porsche automobiles. Most other manufacturers use lower quality 304 stainless. 304 is not as durable as 321 in handling the constant heat cycling exposure produced during the lifetime of an automobile. 304 is also not as resilient as 321 in withstanding the acids given off by an internal combustion engine. If you are looking for the best a lifetime product can offer, 321 stainless steel must be your choice."

Here is a picture of the sport muffler. They are a great sounding muffler for the 914/6 and the 911.
campbellcj
I have the "R" style muffler, just recently installed in November. It is friggen fantastic in build quality, appearance and sound.

Terrible pic but you can see the "R" version has the exhaust pipes towards the ends of the can whereas the standard sport 2-out has them towards the center. Ben also makes other flavors such as 1-outs.

IPB Image
pete-stevers
my question would be how quiet are they...i am looking for a quiet muffler
i am tired of the loud muffler i have!! running down to seattle or longer and i wear ear plugs, loud mufflers get old FAST when going for cruises,
I know i am whining....
hwgunner
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jan 6 2010, 01:43 PM) *

my question would be how quiet are they...i am looking for a quiet muffler
i am tired of the loud muffler i have!! running down to seattle or longer and i wear ear plugs, loud mufflers get old FAST when going for cruises,
I know i am whining....

I think bothare louder than stock for sure. The one out is the quietest, but again i think it is louder than stock.

jonathan
campbellcj
The "R" version is significantly loud, but still nowhere near as ear-shattering as open pipes. It is not what most people would want for a 'regular' street car IMO.

I can put a dB meter on mine one of these weekends as I'm curious myself. However I know on my car there is a lot of induction (Weber) noise so I don't know how much of the overall sound level is the exhaust vs. the carbs, or any way to separate them without doing some sort of spectral analysis on the computer.

If you want quiet the stock 914-6/911 type is best or an equivalent aftermarket 2-in/1-out.
hwgunner
Have a couple people interested and am going to hold open as long as i can. beerchug.gif
campbellcj
If anyone is curious what the "R" version sounds like in a drive-by, my car is at 4:21 in this video from New Year's Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwsp1RIggI

There are many, many other cars in the video for comparison. Mine is certainly among the loudest (and best sounding IMHO). Keep in mind this is a hotrod carbed 2.7 and other engine configs will sound different.

hwgunner
Still going and have 3 deposits so far. driving.gif
seebobgo
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 6 2010, 02:47 PM) *

The "R" version is significantly loud, but still nowhere near as ear-shattering as open pipes. It is not what most people would want for a 'regular' street car IMO.

I can put a dB meter on mine one of these weekends as I'm curious myself. However I know on my car there is a lot of induction (Weber) noise so I don't know how much of the overall sound level is the exhaust vs. the carbs, or any way to separate them without doing some sort of spectral analysis on the computer.

If you want quiet the stock 914-6/911 type is best or an equivalent aftermarket 2-in/1-out.

I have a 2 in one out and it's a little to quiet for me. My wife thinks it's just fine.
I would sell it for an R model.
campbellcj
I'm going to test drive my 'R' with one pipe capped tomorrow. I will report back. Seems like it may be a nice way to go since you can uncork it when desired and don't have to swap mufflers. I used to swap between megaphones for the track and a Dansk for street, and that gets to be a pain.
tbox56
Does anyone have any experience using these with a 2.5 NA Subie engine? any thoughts on how it would sound??
hwgunner
icon_bump.gif Still Open icon_bump.gif
mepstein
Just bought one for my 2.0 4 cylinder. Going to polish it up and make it look pretty. Then I can leave off the rear valence like the GT's. Mark
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 9 2010, 07:07 PM) *

Just bought one for my 2.0 4 cylinder. Going to polish it up and make it look pretty. Then I can leave off the rear valence like the GT's. Mark

I hope you know these mufflers are designed for 911 six cylinder engines sad.gif . Are you planning on making custom pipes to join the muffler to your headers/heat exchangers ?
mepstein
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 10 2010, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 9 2010, 07:07 PM) *

I hope you know these mufflers are designed for 911 six cylinder engines sad.gif . Are you planning on making custom pipes to join the muffler to your headers/heat exchangers ?

Ben made up a prototype 4 cylinder version smile.gif then decided not to put it into production. He gave me a very fair price - not the price in the ad. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/porsche-912...sQ5fAccessories
whatabout1
BUMP

Looks like this baby is dead mad.gif

hwgunner
Still have a little more time. I have a couple people that are still asking questions. We shall see.

jonathan

hwgunner
OK, i have 2 people interested in the R muffler and one in the 2 in 2 out muffler. the alloted time is up but i am willing to wait a little longer if everyone else is. If i can get 2 more people interested in the R muffler i will buty the last one for stock so that we get the group buy deal. If I can get 3 more people interested in the 2 in 2 out muffler the i will buy the last one of those also. If any body does not want to wait any longer let me know and i will refund your $$$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.