Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, car will not start after I removed motor for 1 month
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
x98boardwell
So, I removed the motor for a tune up. I have listed the things below that I have done so we know but I am fairly confident that it is a fuel related issue. I plan on disconnecting the fuel line today to make sure I am getting fuel but still I am confused. There is not even a sputter or anything. The car is a 1975 2.0 and completely stock with Fuel Injection and ran fantatsic before I pulled the motor.

1) Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Points, Coil, etc. (I checked and have good spark)
2) Full exhaust Change to old style 2.0
3) Removed air pump, fan pulley housing, injection lines and plugged injector holes
4) Changed out/replaced all vacumn lines
5) Replaced injector gaskets, plenum gaskets, throttle body gaskets, cleaned everything out before re-assembling.
6) New A/C compressor and lines

I think that is it. I did replace or repair some old wires in the engine bay that were either hard or cracked or both. Also, all shift linkages, bushings, etc.

When I was working on the car I noticed that one of the fuel lines (when it would fall to the ground from where I had it supported) would leak fuel continiously if I didn't raise it up. I also cleaned the motor as well and protected all electrical components with plastic bags to not get wet.

When all of the fuel is out of lines could it be that I need to prime the lines? Should I turn the ignition on with the supply line dettached from the car lines until fuel sprays out of that hose?

I am just confused as to why there is absolutley no response like the ignition is off, or no fuel. The pump was replaced about 400 miles before I dropped the motor so brand new pump. Any advice?

Thanks,
Bryan
VaccaRabite
Squirt - confirm that you are getting fuel at the injectors and that they are firing.
Squish - do a compression test - confirm that you don't have a leak.
Bang - confirm that you actually have ignition
Push - Are your valves opening and closing at the right time? You may need to adjust your valves.

Zach
zymurgist
Is there gas in the tank?

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, because a certain dumbass who was working on Babydoll had the exact same problem this summer. wink.gif Injectors buzzed, engine would start with "Start You Bastard" fluid but immediately died... but you could see the bottom of the tank when you shone a light into it.

Also check the FI points connection on the dizzy and make sure that it hasn't worked loose. The injectors will buzz if this is loose but the engine won't run.
tradisrad
Check to see that the FI trigger point wire is connected to the dizzy.
x98boardwell
Thanks guys,

1/2 tank of fuel. Do you have a picture of the wire your referring to or a descritpion on where it comes from and where it attached to the dizzy?

Thanks,
Bryan
underthetire
Check the basics. Is the cap on the right direction? There is a little notch to align it. Plug wires on in the correct sequence. Fuel pressure? Little stuff but we have all done it.
tradisrad
Sorry no picture. It is a 3 wire connector that plugs into the dizzy's trigger points
underthetire
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jan 6 2010, 10:03 AM) *

Sorry no picture. It is a 3 wire connector that plugs into the dizzy's trigger points

Black connector here.
x98boardwell
Update,

One of the wires from the plug (black 3 prong) in the picture above picture were snapped off because it was old and brittle from the heat. Where can I purchase another clear plastic connector and rubber boot so I can plug it back in?

Also, what does that do and would this make the car seem dead if only one wire was broke?

Thanks,
Bryan
underthetire
Auto atlanta-be prepared to wait. it's the trigger for the injectors. One common, two out i believe.
zymurgist
yes, they fire in criss-cross pairs.
tradisrad
High Performance House will have the parts that you need. He has new crimps and you can use the old connector, or buy a new assy.
Hope it works out for you!
Eric_Shea
car will not start after I removed motor for 1 month

Put the motor back in... wink.gif
watsonrx13
Don't forget to attach the tranny ground strap... shades.gif

-- Rob
Sleepin
Make sure the fuel lines are not crossed.... I dunno how I know that one! huh.gif

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...el_diagrams.htm
x98boardwell
It runs fantastic. It was the broken wire I found for the switch that fires the injectors on the side of the dist.

High Performance House saved the day and he was great to work with.

Thanks for all the help.
Bryan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.