Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is the 914 a new fangled car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
I've been driving the teener into work all this week since their is snow on the ground and not really conducive to riding my motorcycle in. Well, I noticed that the idle seems really high, reving around 2500 to 3000 when I pull in the clutch.

As I get onto post I pull into a parking space near the gym, parking on Patch Barracks is a bit of a problem, pull the E-brake, pop her into neutral and pop the engine lid. Time to see what the issue is, I'm thinking throttle cable is getting stuck.

As I do a precursor inspection a guy walks up onto my right side and kinda stands their and watches, his car was parked on the right side of mine. My car is reving really high at this point. I finally shut her off, will mess with it when I get home tonight, and comment that I need to adjust the idle to the guy. Too which he replies, 'can you do that? Is that one of those new cars with all the electronic stuff?'

'uhh no, it's a 1971 Porsche 914 with dual carburators; I can adjust them.' blink.gif

So, how many of you have had someone think that your teener was a new car? Just curious.
914Sixer
There are lots of clueless people out there that have never seen a 914.
'73-914kid
I pulled into a gas station with rust spots and a primered rear deck lid and a guy asked me the same thing.. "Is thast a new car?" Yup. They all come from the factory with rust issues and primered body parts..
degreeoff
intake manifold could be leaking air too, just thinking on your original issue. Cable maybe?
underthetire
I only get those when someone sees the Megasquirt computer. "Wow, they had that kinda computer in the 70"s ?" headbang.gif

I have gotton from teenage boys several times now, "isn't that the car in Forza?"
sixaddict
Seems many of these could be answered with " Here's your sign "

I live in South Carolina..............At SCCA AX young guy near staging exclaimed " What the HALE is that ?? "
AT BMW Eurofest entry ladies asked me if it was a Fiat ........Now that is LOW!
TravisG
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 7 2010, 09:09 AM) *

There are lots of clueless people out there that have never seen a 914.

agree.gif

That's one of the reasons that I love this car aktion035.gif

ericread
I was parking at a business park last week when a guy in a pickup parked next to me and commented "Nice Ferrari".

I pondered for second over what my reply should be... Should I correct him and tell him all about my 1974 914. Should I try to explain to him about the traditional lack of status the 914 had within Porsche community. Or should I just let hiim know it was a Porsche he was looking at.

My reply was "Thanks".

Joe Ricard
Principle of my son's grade school commented she used to have one of those. I replied "cool, what year"? She said 79 Me "Um yea..... This is a 70" and just dropped my boy at the door. He said "dad, they only made these cars till 76"!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was 6 yrs old.

stephenaki
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jan 7 2010, 06:34 AM) *

intake manifold could be leaking air too, just thinking on your original issue. Cable maybe?

Yeah, I got home and did some checking, it looks to be the cable, it isn't allowing the throttle linkage to go fully back to normal after I let off the gas. I will work on adjusting it this weekend.
SGB
Last year: "Is that the new Volkswagen?"

Yesterday: "Is that an MG?"
jfort
I, too, have had people ask what it is. Mine is 40 years old this year and it still looks good.
flipb
Within a few weeks of getting my 914 last spring, I was getting plenty of "what is it?" comments. Even had some HS kids tell me how cool it was after having to ask what it was.

One night I took it on a spirited drive and stopped to pick up some groceries on the way home. Loaded the groceries in the rear trunk and fired it up just as a guy was walking out of the store. He walked directly over to the car. I rolled down the window and he said "I'd know the sound of that engine anywhere. Is that a '74?"

Was very cool after so many clueless people for a real car guy to recognize it.
Mike Bellis
Even better are the guys that have never owned a 914 and then try to tell you the history... "You know that things a Volkswagen don't you?" OR "Porsche never liked that car, that's why VW made tham" OR in my case " You know that never came with a V8?" No shit? I thought this car was a joint venture from Chevrolet and VW... Here's your sign... headbang.gif

I guess the roll cage, flairs and big brakes wern't stock either smash.gif
underthetire
its a chevagon!
turnaround89
Ive gotten is that a fiat? once....and was told by a kid about my age at college one day that my 914 was "sicker" than the red 911 i had parked next to. Take that 911 owner, he was standing next to his car when i pulled up next to him and when the kid made the comment. he wouldn't look at me or talk to me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.