Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Atom-inspired
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Has anyone here built a Locost? Or thought about building something more like the Ariel Atom? I would love to some day.
There are some resources out there. Here's just one:
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic....f=18&t=7573
championgt1
A guy I work with saw one on the freeway going through Seattle the other day.
plymouth37
The first thing I thought the first time I saw an Atom was " I could build that!" I would love to make an Atom like tube chassis/body street monster.
Rand
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jan 7 2010, 08:02 PM) *

A guy I work with saw one on the freeway going through Seattle the other day.

A guy in Kirkland has one. I saw him several times when I lived there.
Rand
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 7 2010, 08:10 PM) *

The first thing I thought the first time I saw an Atom was " I could build that!" I would love to make an Atom like tube chassis/body street monster.

Right, and it could be done pretty cheap. As far as I'm concerned, engineering the suspension is the most complex part of it. I figure just adapt something from a good donor car. Powerplants... Hmm.... Honda, Subaru, rotary, Hyabusa, aircooled?
plymouth37
You really could power it with anything, I would love to stuff Radical Racing's 'Busa based V8 in one!
Rand
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 7 2010, 08:51 PM) *

You really could power it with anything, I would love to stuff Radical Racing's 'Busa based V8 in one!

True. 50hp would be a blast in something like this!

Ooooh boy. Crazy potential. "Radical" opens a whole new tangent to this topic. No limits with this.

Personally, I want to see what can be done at minimal cost though. Considering you could keep the weight of this car in triple digits, what powerplant can provide the most power to weight cheaply? Rotary keeps coming to mind. Then again, aircooled appeals to me.
Solo914
My dad bought a miata as a donor for a locost project. He was going to start on it this winter but then he realized he had to many projects to finish and ended up fixing/restoring the donor and car and now its for sale.

I REALLY REALLY want to make my own version of a locost, maybe a mid-engine version with Suby STI motor or something.

Kyle

plymouth37
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 7 2010, 10:06 PM) *

Personally, I want to see what can be done at minimal cost though. Considering you could keep the weight of this car in triple digits, what powerplant can provide the most power to weight cheaply?

Honda S2000 engines rev like hell and are getting moderately affordable.
A 911 or a hopped up Beetle drivetrain is tempting too.
BIGKAT_83
Check this thread out. Mid engine using a fwd Honda engine transaxle. This is the guy that built the carbon fiber mini cooper that was in grassroots motorsports magazine a few years ago. Makes me want to throw rocks at my stuff.

http://www.midlana.com/

Bob
VaccaRabite
Why don't you just get Ron Champion's book and use the plans he lays out? (~$120 used from amazon.)

Or this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Sport.../ref=pd_sim_b_2
Build Your Own Sports Car: On a Budget [ILLUSTRATED] (Hardcover)
under $22, by Chris Gibbs.

Or this one by Keith Tanner for $20.
How to Build a Cheap Sports Car (Motorbooks Workshop)
It is written for US builders, using the Miata as the donor vehicle.
914junkie
Wow, 2010, this is an old thread but it's the only thing I found when I ran a search for the topic. So what I've been thinking about is building a budget, mid engine "road rail" using a 914 motor/trans and maybe some of the suspension. Rear trailing arms maybe even use the front 914/911 suspension if there is a way to make it work. I thought a low profile, mid engine sand rail frame would be a good start. Slam it down low with some big Porsche wheels/brakes,911/944 stuff maybe. Of course the drive train options are endless but a 120 hp 2.0 type IV/ 901 in a 1200 lb buggy would be a hoot! It would be a fun project. Thoughts? Ideas? ~ Paul
bulitt
Go for it! Those things sell for 56k$ plus tax confused24.gif
rick 918-S
I'd rather build this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLbaThJIBeI
rhodyguy
JDM RB20 or 25DET.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.