Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nurburgring crashes of the seventies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
I uploaded a new version of the Nürburgring crashes video.
Better image quality, more crashes and a few 914.
These shots were captured in the seventies with a super 8mm film camera.
A time when safety was just a word. This was filmed when the "ring" is opened to the public. Most drivers don't even have seat belts, some have the children on the backseats ...
The curve is called Adenauer Forst and is just afer a long straight line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8
VaccaRabite
Cool.
That Yellow 914 just kept trying.

The tangerine 914 did not seem to notice that there was a bend in the road.
Zach
flipb
Very cool.

Watch the whole thing... there are some amazing crashes in there. If you're just looking for the 914's, they're at 3:30; 3:55, and 6:20 - although the latter isn't so much a crash as a shortcut. smile.gif Plenty of other P-cars too.

Kind of a relief to see that the P-cars tended to have relatively controlled spin-outs, as opposed to a lot of the more top-heavy cars.
Cheapsnake
We have no idea what the drivers were saying as they emerged from their cars, but we can assume most of the words spoken just before entering the curve,

"Hold my beer and watch this!"

Tom
ConeDodger
Awesome. In one of the last crashes someone has a soda come out the right front window and start squirting all over the place... Too much speed, not enough tire, not enough talent...
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 8 2010, 10:41 AM) *

Awesome. In one of the last crashes someone has a soda come out the right front window and start squirting all over the place... Too much speed, not enough tire, not enough talent...

What about the dude in the bug that tries to jump clear of his car!!!

When you go to the Ring these days, is it still so lax? No helmets, some of these guys were clearly not even wearing seat belts.

Zach
stuttgart46
Dig that crazy music man.
Elliot Cannon
Helmets are not required. It's still basically "run what ya brung". w00t.gif driving.gif Although most of the cars I saw where pretty well prepared. (I didn't see any sodas flying out of windows). They said one motorcyclist a month dies at the "Ring". We were driving cars from a company called "rent-a-racer". The insurance deductible was $10,000!
messix
gotta love swing axles
ahdoman
I have never seen so many "yard sales" in one video! Did you notice the handling characteristics of all the 911's? They all did the same thing.
underthetire
Wow, that was cool. Brought back memories of my dads 73 rootbeer brown Crapi, i mean , Capri. I moshed that car sooo bad. You know some of those had to be " hey mom, can I borrow the car" then "hey mom, i destroyed your car"...
johannes
If that bug cab had flipped that would have killed a lot of people ! ...
plymouth37
looks like the orange 914 took the best line out of anybody!
agentblr
I'm sure you all noticed none of the Porsche's flipped ! Anyone know what the green car is at 6:59 ??
VegasRacer
Kool. aktion035.gif
Sleepin
I wonder if the passenger in the BMW at the :30 second mark was ok after coming that far out of the window?
johannes
QUOTE(agentblr @ Jan 8 2010, 10:41 AM) *

I'm sure you all noticed none of the Porsche's flipped ! Anyone know what the green car is at 6:59 ??

I know what it is...
Rare car, that's why I put it on the video despite it didn't really crashed.
Could be a good question for the "guess the car" game ...
Click to view attachment
Sleepin
Alfa.
johannes
Alfa...

Romeo ...

Click to view attachment
Sleepin
IPB Image
Alfa....
johannes
Everyone can say it's an Alfa ...

It's a ZAGATO JUNIOR ...

Sleepin
I was giving others a chance. My brother has been a big Alfa fan for years....hard not to pick up some of it.
URY914
Looks like the BMW and Bug drivers need to turn it down a notch...
Madswede
The person in the hideous something-or-other at 5:08 makes a nice save. Love the Orange 914 taking the shortcut. Wasn't there a light blue-ish 911 that went into the ditch sideways? He seemed like the only 911 that didn't get throttle off oversteer. There's also a couple more guys that make some miraculous recoveries ... I sure hope whomever was in the burning wreck escaped!

Great video, thanks for posting it!

- Nelson
Mike Bellis
The last time I saw that many Notchbacks was at a VW car show. Sad to see so many wrecked there. Now I know where those rare Vw's went... Junk Yard hissyfit.gif
'73-914kid
I'm amazed at how controled the 914 spins were. and yeah, they all did the same thing..
914Sixer
I was at the Ring for the 1970 German GP. Cars would fly by on the straight away on pit row the hit the 1st corner and you could see daylight under the tires. Everything from F1 cars to the Capri's, BMW's,Porsche"s, etc. were able to catch air on the corner.
johannes
The person in the hideous something-or-other at 5:08 makes a nice save

That's a Matra M530. Mid engined, Ford V4, about 80 hp and plastic shell.
In french magazines of the 70's they used to compare this to a 914 and most (french) journalists would prefer the Matra. I can remember some writing the Matra had a timeless design that would last compare to the 914 that they described as hideous...
ha ha ha , Matra sold a few 1000 of M530 and the design is now so obsolete...
MDG
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 8 2010, 02:10 PM) *

I wonder if the passenger in the BMW at the :30 second mark was ok after coming that far out of the window?

I thought the same thing. The whiplash effect of the person's face into the top of the door/roof looks like it would have been messy.
Smitty911
A convertable FULL of people on a Race track. shades.gif screwy.gif

I thought it was a Early DRIFTING movie, The Fast and the Dead.

The Opel GT stayed on all fours as did all the 914's. The Beetles rolling over and drivers falling out.

Common Sense? I think not. No Helmets, Seat Belts, Roll Cages, we have come along ways.
bembry
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 8 2010, 12:36 PM) *

Everyone can say it's an Alfa ...

It's a ZAGATO JUNIOR ...

Hell,
I'm glad go guys got it. I thought it was a Saab Sonnet initially.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Smitty911 @ Jan 8 2010, 03:06 PM) *

No Helmets, Seat Belts, Roll Cages, we have come along ways.

Keep in mind, this is NOT a racing event. shades.gif

It's basically like parade laps on a race track where anyone can take their family wagon and drive around the track a few times.

This is still done to this day at every major race track i have ever been to.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
TravisG
That looks like the way I drive on the computer games driving.gif Have no feel of the road and get mad when it slides off the road at 30mph! biggrin.gif
scotty b
LOL I had this on in another window when I started atching the vid. Works pretty well. Give it a try lol-2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQTfeySt2s

Works even betterer !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ChiKPI67M...feature=related
scotty
QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 8 2010, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 8 2010, 02:10 PM) *

I thought the same thing. The whiplash effect of the person's face into the top of the door/roof looks like it would have been messy.

Damn! No belts whatsoever. Those people are all lucky...that burnt out car didn't look so good.

I was on the edge of my seat hoping the guy in the Alfa would save it unsure.gif
Drums66
Johannes,

is there a Fiat 850 sport coupe.....somewhere
in that video??? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
johannes
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jan 9 2010, 11:51 AM) *

Johannes,

is there a Fiat 850 sport coupe.....somewhere
in that video??? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

There are plenty of them ...

BTW I owned a 1969 Fiat 850 sport coupe in the eighties.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.