Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine compartment seals question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
My engine compartment seals are in pieces and i currently don't have the money to buy a new set. Anyone have ideas for something fairly cheap and temporary that i could do in the meantime?
type47
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Jan 8 2010, 06:33 AM) *

... don't have the money to buy a new set.

duct tape... smash.gif
buhs914
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 8 2010, 07:47 AM) *

duct tape... smash.gif

haha well that's the "if i can't come up with anything else" solution..
shoguneagle
Yes, i think I have part of a set and maybe some old ones still in fair shape you can have. I think we can find a fair set for you. You can hjave these since the items would just set here and collect "snow", er.....I mean dust. Live just up the big hill from you.

Steve Hurt
ConeDodger
weatherstrip adhesive...
Dave_Darling
You can probably fake it for a little while by taping some garage door weatherstripping to the car's chassis. I doubt it would hold up in the long run, but if you're lucky it might last long enough to save up for the actual pieces.

--DD
Eric_Shea
http://shop.914rubber.com/product.sc?produ...mp;categoryId=4

They're not "that" expensive. I'd save myself $95.00 worth of hassles and do it right once vs. coming in and fixing it a second time.

I always try to think about how much my time is worth. Definately worth more than $95.00 if I had to do it twice.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 8 2010, 02:06 PM) *

http://shop.914rubber.com/product.sc?produ...mp;categoryId=4

They're not "that" expensive. I'd save myself $95.00 worth of hassles and do it right once vs. coming in and fixing it a second time.

I always try to think about how much my time is worth. Definately worth more than $95.00 if I had to do it twice.

If Marks other rubber pieces are up to the quality of his F & R bumpers tops, the tin seals should be snapped upby all! At 95 bucks, take your lunch to work for 2 weeks.
Pat
buhs914
thanks guys! i think i'll do the temporary weatherstripping thing. I'm currently out of work and almost out of money. Thankfully my 914 is in decent condition! I'm also starting college in a couple weeks and can't wait to take my car with me!
kenshapiro2002
Do you need to drop the engine to replace them?
bdstone914
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 8 2010, 04:40 PM) *

You can buy a VW engine compartment seal for about $10 new at any VW Bug shop or online. and cut out the straight portions to use for the side seals. The VW seal is a one piece that is a large U shape.
Marks seals are the ticket.

I do not know if you can replace them with the engine in the car. It took quite a while to install them with the engine out while sitting in the engine compartment. I even had to open up the channel a bit to get them to slide in all the way. I cleaned the channels and lubed the seals with dish detergent and water.

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=759

buhs914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 9 2010, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 8 2010, 04:40 PM) *

You can buy a VW engine compartment seal for about $10 new at any VW Bug shop or online. and cut out the straight portions to use for the side seals. The VW seal is a one piece that is a large U shape.
Marks seals are the ticket.

I do not know if you can replace them with the engine in the car. It took quite a while to install them with the engine out while sitting in the engine compartment. I even had to open up the channel a bit to get them to slide in all the way. I cleaned the channels and lubed the seals with dish detergent and water.

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=759

Yeah it would definitely be a lot easier to do it with the engine out. I'm currently putting mine back in. I might just have to take the hard way epsecially with my time constraint.

And for the VW seals: would they fit in the channels? They look like they wouldn't from the picture on the link you gave. If so i'll probably use that for that back seal that's different from the other 3.
Mikey914
Food for thought, you can run without them as it is winter. Why not just wait instead of doing them twice, and save the money?
buhs914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 10 2010, 12:41 AM) *

Food for thought, you can run without them as it is winter. Why not just wait instead of doing them twice, and save the money?

Good point! i've already started something really cheap and easy that will be temporary until i can get the actual seals. It cost me around $6 so it's not too much of a loss and the installation is very easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.