Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire saftey systems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
My 914 is back on the road again, so i'm meeting with the engineer from safecraft next week. He is a P car guy, with a 356, and a speedster and has systems on both. What we plan to do is...
1. Mount a new dual head system on my POS pretty much stock 914 to check fitment and look at what needs to happen to put out a fire in a type4 ( where the agent would need to travel to etc.)
2. Take pictures of the install
3. Make an option list. So far, we will have the option of manual, automatic, both, and a fuel pump cut off pressure switch.

We are shooting for the mid 300's for a complete system, but it will depend on what options you choose. No special time period, you simply will need to call with a part number (we will get those once he has settled on a package) and order it.

Also trying to get a -6 conversion over there just to make sure we can use the same unit.

http://www.safecraft.com/motorsports.asp
ahdoman
Thanks for putting the research together on this. Rather than having them specify two systems (i.e. 4 & 6 cyl) why not have them get the documentation together on where the sprayer heads need to shoot? The problem you're going to run into is all of the different engine configurations with 4's & 6's not to mention the Subi, V6 and V8 guys. There's at least 4 variations of /4 (stock FI, modified FI, dual carbs, single carbs) with the fuel delivery system being different for all of those.
McMark
I expect they'll focus on the injector & fuel rail area, but I'll be interested to hear what they have to say. I'll be installing a Halon system in a T4 bus later this year.
underthetire
The V6 and V8 guys are easy. He has one now that mounts to the rocker cover, same one on his Mercedes. Carbs and FI really are no different, since the fire prone areas will still be right over the hot cyl head. Single carb? Who runs those poke.gif

I don't think its a matter of the six vs four, so much as how much room do we have to mount the bottle. Keep in mind, this is not going to be the "full race" version with remote nozzles everywhere, this is going to be a lower cost solution for the a/x or DD folks you want a little safety without cutting up the cars and running lines everywhere. This system could even go on a original show car and be quickly removed for the judges. Thats our plan anyway. The engineer would for sure help anyone who needed or wanted a full race set-up, but since race cars are all so different, it would be more custom.

I may be way off, but it seams like either you go full race or hand held right now, or some custom thing you need to do yourself. I just thought it would be nice to have a intermediate package.
underthetire
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 8 2010, 10:18 AM) *

I expect they'll focus on the injector & fuel rail area, but I'll be interested to hear what they have to say. I'll be installing a Halon system in a T4 bus later this year.

When you do, your less than an hour from this company's shop. Might be worth talking with them. Or if you have a -6.....
underthetire
This is kinda a rough drawing of his new system he described to me. Please excuse the rough paint drawing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.