Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauging interest in hand throttles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bdstone914
I am in the process of making a prototype hand throttle much like those that were used on 914-6 cars. For those of you who are not familiar with them it consisted of a lever mush like the heater lever that used a rod that ran through the tunnel up to the pedal assembly where it pushed on the accelerator lever to manually open the throttle for cold warm ups.
I think I can make the modified lever rod, bracket and modified accelerator piece and sell it for about $150.
For all of you guys running carbs do you think there is a need for it?
Bruce
zx-niner
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 8 2010, 07:05 PM) *

I am in the process of making a prototype hand throttle much like those that were used on 914-6 cars. For those of you who are not familiar with them it consisted of a lever mush like the heater lever that used a rod that ran through the tunnel up to the pedal assembly where it pushed on the accelerator lever to manually open the throttle for cold warm ups.
I think I can make the modified lever rod, bracket and modified accelerator piece and sell it for about $150.
For all of you guys running carbs do you think there is a need for it?
Bruce

Like for a fast idle or poor-boy's cruise control? I would have to go for it.

Steve
ConeDodger
I am interested but you knew that... You are using my partial to reverse engineer I assume biggrin.gif
Rand
Rod that pushes the pedal assembly doesn't seem like the most efficient approach.
GeorgeRud
It seems to work OK on the original -6s! I only wonder how many people actually would need one these days, more and more of the newer conversions will be injected and the carbs are probably going away.
TravisNeff
Even with an FI engine, you could use it as a crude cruise control. Even with a -4 engine!
McMark
They're definitely cool, and I've thought about making them. I can't say that I'd be ponying up to get one personally, but I would definitely promote the use of them to other people.
Gint
I'm on the fence.
zymurgist
I think it's a great idea... the hand throttle is invaluable to me when starting and warming up the 911 on a cold day.
IronHillRestorations
I've got all the parts if you need pics or a loaner.
jim_hoyland
I'm interested, my right leg become very unconfortable on long drives, it would be good to be able to change positions without having to stop-and-rest. I have a Rennshifter and would need to have a slit cut in hte base for the handle to fit.
rfuerst911sc
I might be interested. I have one on my 911 with PMO carbs and I'll be honest I don't use it much. Now keep in mind Florida generally doesn't get very cold and my PMO's I only have to feather the throttle for 15-20 seconds and they settle into a smooth idle. I'm guessing Webers may need a little more help. I have Webers on my GT clone.
computers4kids
The hand throttle sounds like a nice tool for warming-up a cold engine, but quite frankly sounds dangerous as a "cruise control" as mentioned above. If your'e cruising down the road and have to react quickly, having the motor physically reved at cruising speeds is asking for disaster to strike. Perhaps I don't understand how the hand throttle works...does is release if the brakes are applied?

Another option for the "warm-up" idea, is using an "idle compensator" (on every junk 80's car) or Edlebrock sells them as well. Mount it to push your throttle linkage and put a on off switch in the cabin. It's throw is adjustable as well.

Here's a pic from my v8 application. It also works well for you teeners that have added AC....great way to increase the idle speed (if needed) when the AC is on.

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 9 2010, 08:12 AM) *

quite frankly sounds dangerous as a "cruise control" as mentioned above. If your'e cruising down the road and have to react quickly, having the motor physically reved at cruising speeds is asking for disaster to strike

It's only dangerous if you aren't paying attention. poke.gif
That means 99% of USA drivers are out! lol-2.gif

Anyways, i've done a few long distance roadtrips in the 914 and every time i wished i had some sort of cruise control.

Hwy 80 goes straight through the desert for almost 600 miles with absolutely nothing between Reno and Salt Lake City.

A hand-throttle would have been a soooooo nice ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
bdstone914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 9 2010, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jan 9 2010, 08:12 AM) *

quite frankly sounds dangerous as a "cruise control" as mentioned above. If your'e cruising down the road and have to react quickly, having the motor physically reved at cruising speeds is asking for disaster to strike

Anyways, i've done a few long distance roadtrips in the 914 and every time i wished i had some sort of cruise control.

Hwy 80 goes straight through the desert for almost 600 miles with absolutely nothing between Reno and Salt Lake City.

A hand-throttle would have been a soooooo nice ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

Thank to all for the comments. I would not recommend it as a cruise control either. I wonder if the original 914-6 owners manuals commented on that use?
I have see how much work it is to build one.
Rob, (conedodgger) Since you gave me the idea you will get the first trial. The part you sent me is not needed and I will return it.

Bruce
zymurgist
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 9 2010, 11:29 AM) *

It's funny because it's true.
morgan_harwell
Those of us with very early CIS/6 conversions ['73-'74] should be interested, too. Each morning, to start my CIS/6 conversion, I have to crack the throttle pedal slighty to fire it up, then hold the pedal at fast idle for about a minute to keep it running. After about a minute, it will idle without stalling.

A hand throttle would be 'nice to have' each cold start.
johnnie5
I like the idea Bruce, my carbs spit for 30 seconds or more. It is always a bit of a chore for me to keep my idle uniform during warm up. I am interested to see what you put together.
iamchappy
I had to reengineer mine so i could retain the center console, worked great for setting the break in RPM on the engines first start.
Visible red knob on side of tunnel.
Rav914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 10 2010, 08:54 AM) *

I had to reengineer mine so i could retain the center console, worked great for setting the break in RPM on the engines first start.
Visible red knob on side of tunnel.

How does it connect to the throttle cable? Or is it an adjustable rod?
iamchappy
It still is the stock setup with the rod, i just repositioned the lever from the shift to the side of the tunnel. It was a little tricky placing it as there are cable tubes that run there so i cut out a panel for a good look, got everything figured out welded a bracket for the lever and rewelded the panel back into place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.