Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AC for a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david63
Hey folks, new to 914 world (been lurking for a while) just purchased a great 1974 Olympic Blue 2.0 with VPC AC. Two options are ahead for me. I am either going to simply clean the car up, fix a few things and put a rotary compresser on the car (done that before and it will freeze you out without robbing HP).

If I completely go nuts and do the 6 conversion, flares, etc I want to keep the AC and I cannot find the post from this site that showed someone hanging the AC compressor on the passenger side of the six in the 914 (if the compresser is mounted in the normal spot on the six you have to modify the firewall behind the driver in the 914) with a special fabricated bracket and I think it was running a ribbed belt? Anyone know about this post or this method of AC on a six?

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(david63 @ Jan 8 2010, 11:53 PM) *

Hey folks, new to 914 world (been lurking for a while) just purchased a great 1974 Olympic Blue 2.0 with VPC AC. Two options are ahead for me. I am either going to simply clean the car up, fix a few things and put a rotary compresser on the car (done that before and it will freeze you out without robbing HP).

If I completely go nuts and do the 6 conversion, flares, etc I want to keep the AC and I cannot find the post from this site that showed someone hanging the AC compressor on the passenger side of the six in the 914 (if the compresser is mounted in the normal spot on the six you have to modify the firewall behind the driver in the 914) with a special fabricated bracket and I think it was running a ribbed belt? Anyone know about this post or this method of AC on a six?

That was me. I built a compressor mount that worked on a six. One problem, the extra weight and load from the compressor mount cracked the timing chain box on the right side. So right now I am back to a standard belt on my six after replacing the timing box. I will be revising the mount in the future, but don't hold your breath.

GeorgeRud
This may be completely impossible, but has anyone ever considered mounting an AC compressor under the trunk, and driving it from the rear axle? I wonder if a pulley could be fashioned to fit over the CV joint, and the compressor mounted in front or behind the rear stub axle? A bracket could be fashioned to mount off the engine to transmission bolts and the rear transmission mount. Those would be very strong and should not be prone to cracking. If needed, another strut could mount to the side differential cover (basically mounting the compressor on the passenger side opposite from the starter is mounted on the driver's side).

Obviously, the compressor would only turn when the car is moving, but this may be an option for a -6 conversion when someone doesn't want to cut up the firewall to mount an AC compressor in the 916 position.

Otherwise, I believe a Subaru or V8 conversion have no problem with mounting an AC compressor!
Gary
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 9 2010, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(david63 @ Jan 8 2010, 11:53 PM) *

That was me. I built a compressor mount that worked on a six. One problem, the extra weight and load from the compressor mount cracked the timing chain box on the right side. So right now I am back to a standard belt on my six after replacing the timing box. I will be revising the mount in the future, but don't hold your breath.

Would sure love to see this happen - I recall you were looking to make it easer to change the #1 spark plug and maybe doing aluminum. I thought your solution was pretty elegant. Too bad about the timing chain box.

G.
Gary
I even bookmarked the thread that had your picutures here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.