Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have you installed Trunk Pivot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
etcmss
some of us aren't good at welding and this product seems to be alternative to broken pivots. Anyone have experience with this?
http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/pivot.htm
ChrisFoley
I like them.
One caveat - the left and right sides are mirror images and shouldn't be interchanged.
Unfortunately, the way they have been packaged hides the identifying mark where you won't see it if you don't look for it.
We serviced a car where someone else installed them backwards. screwy.gif
ahdoman
I used them on my last car. They worked great! The adjustability is great for aligning the trunk. The only concern you need to have is if yours broke make sure they aren't rusted through the inner fender. If they are there won't be anything strong to attach them to.
Jerry75914
I've used them on mine and I'm really happy with them. Nice is, since they are bolted in with four bolts...super solid fix. Unless the car rusts around them, no way will the hinge be an issue ever again!
jgara962
I put them on my car a few months ago and it is a great product. Having someone to help makes a big difference, I couldn't imagine trying to do this project on my own. Even with two of us, it took a while to install. Most of the time was grinding off the old welds from the original trunk pivots.
etcmss
Thanks to all---I will probably pursue.
JWest
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 9 2010, 10:24 AM) *

I like them.
One caveat - the left and right sides are mirror images and shouldn't be interchanged.
Unfortunately, the way they have been packaged hides the identifying mark where you won't see it if you don't look for it.
We serviced a car where someone else installed them backwards. screwy.gif

There is a picture in the instructions that should keep from installing on the wrong side - the only reason they are different is to facilitate drilling access, so it is not really a big deal if they are wrong.

I could just add a left/right sticker on the outside would solve that problem.
PanelBilly
I'd tag them Driver and wishing I was the driver. Left and right can be confusing to some.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JWest @ Jan 9 2010, 06:14 PM) *

There is a picture in the instructions that should keep from installing on the wrong side - the only reason they are different is to facilitate drilling access, so it is not really a big deal if they are wrong.

I could just add a left/right sticker on the outside would solve that problem.

Its almost impossible to install all 4 bolts if mounted on the wrong side of the car.
Nothing wrong with the product at all, but stamping them L and R on a surface that becomes hidden once you package them is enough to screw up some people - the same people who are too smart to read the instructions, lol.
The car we found them installed incorrectly on had the backing plates still stuck to the mounting plates.
jsayre914
I put one on my car because i brove one pivot off, then 1 year later gigured i would finish the job, and installed the other. I love them, great product.
beerchug.gif
Slider
i installed these last spring since i had one side broken since i got the car. it was pretty easy to get on and like others have said its real easy to get the sides mixed up so be careful
tat2dphreak
I used them, and love them on my car I didn't get one side drilled perfectly, but was able to adjust it... make the same mistake with weld in and you are screwed... you'd have to start over, meaning new hinges again... I DID have to pay attention to the sides, but they ARE labeled

maybe the label needs to be D and P instead of L and R for some of us wink.gif
JWest
Thanks for the feedback - I have a new sticker to use to help identify which side is which - let me know what you think.

jmill
QUOTE(JWest @ Jan 15 2010, 02:32 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback - I have a new sticker to use to help identify which side is which - let me know what you think.

av-943.gif Your alright.
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif av-943.gif

Chris Pincetich
Well, that sticker sure clears things up
av-943.gif
The hinge fix was one of my very first DIY 914 projects. I got a box full of JWest upgrades, and they have all been easy installs followed by trouble-free performance.
Thanks James beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JWest @ Jan 15 2010, 12:32 PM) *

let me know what you think.

av-943.gif
etcmss
so how long did the technical writer take to create it? it is worth the laugh. if you had to read it all you really need some help to get these installed
bandjoey
Don't forget to add the disclaimer:

"This only applies to 914 owners. All others...it's Left."
lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Lou W
Here's my installation, it went in great:
Larouex
In one of my build posts, I show the shots of the JWest pivots on both sides of the engine bay. I seam sealed and welded and bolted, so it is overdone.

Engine Bay Rustoration

Larouex
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.