Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Bumper choices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

My front bumper is dented on both sides where the rubber tits mount as well as a few other minor areas. The chrome is falling off and rust has attacked the back side.

I want a bumper without holes for a plate or the tits. I'm going with a painted bumber rather than the chrome. I started to beat on this one, but now I'm thinking I should just invest in one that just requires finishing and paint.

Anybody out there care to share what they've done. Are the fiberglass options any good or are they so much work that I might as well beat a metal one into shape.
Rand
Your b is upside down...er p that is. tongue.gif
I like light weight. http://www.gettydesign.com/catalog.html
PanelBilly
ppbb they're interchangable.

Do you know if the Getty one use a rubber (rupper) pad or is it built into the unit
GeorgeRud
If you mean the Getty bumper with the oil cooler cutout, it's all one piece. Nicely made in my opinion, didn't require too much fiddling to get it to fit. I'd also buy their premade brackets and save yourself some fabrication time.
IronHillRestorations
If you are going with painted then I'd 2nd fiberglass. If it get's crunched you don't cry as much.
Al Meredith
grind off the chrome and bondo the bumper.
Todd Enlund
I'd hesitate to call a fiberglass part a "bumper"... more of a decorative aerodynamic fairing.
Rand
He didn't call it a bumper! tongue.gif

I like decorative aerodynamic fairings. I was happy to drop the weight of the rbbb off my 75. The only real bumpers on any 914. Good riddance.
PanelBilly
I fix the bpbp. I mounted the thing just for kicks, but left my camera at home. Maybe Sunday I'll post a picture for those of us who would rather not read
Vysoc
I had the 75 monster bumpers and could not wait to shed the look and the weight. Back dated for the 70-72 look, reworked some old beat up bumpers was'nt easy but they look fine in black. You may want to consider the Rudoplh after market bumper tops, I have one on my rear and it is a very nice piece (my opinion). If you are going for the chrome look take your time and find a nice set. With painting it Black and living in Florida I was able to weld up all the holes and make it look clean. Sorry but this response is worthless without pictures, I will furnish pictures later.

On a lighter note for those of you hating us in Florida for the great weather it may snow tonight and I am only 100 miles from Miami..it's about time. Looking for snow!

Vysoc
davesprinkle
I handed my slightly dented front bumper to South Bay Chrome in Santa Ana, CA. They pushed out the dents and rechromed it for about $300. Looks like new.
carr914
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jan 9 2010, 07:39 PM) *

On a lighter note for those of you hating us in Florida for the great weather it may snow tonight and I am only 100 miles from Miami..it's about time. Looking for snow!

Vysoc

I'm Freezin my ass off - it's too cold to drink beer while watching football. brrrrr

On the subject of Bumpers, if you go Fiberglass, I suggest AIR. Theirs have the brackets molded on for less hassle and I have never had a fitment problem. I'm a big fan of Getty, but their selection is slimmer.

T.C.
jmmotorsports
Billy,

There is a chrome shop in Centralia that some of my street rod customers use. they do very nice work. They can repair and replate your bumpers,fill the holes too. The guy's name is Keith Henderson 360-736-0052

Jerry
sixnotfour
Dont forget this one , spendy,

If you like the look ?
TravisNeff
May I suggest a creasote soaked railroad tie? That'll send a message! laugh.gif
DBCooper
To a kid with a lighter? unsure.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jan 9 2010, 07:50 PM) *

I handed my slightly dented front bumper to South Bay Chrome in Santa Ana, CA. They pushed out the dents and rechromed it for about $300. Looks like new.

I am quite partial to the chrome bumpers. I just like the way chrome bumpers look on the 914. Almost no auto manufacturer does chrome bumpers any more so it gives the car that retro look.

On my 74 I mounted chrome bumpers from a 73 with tit holes. Not sure what to do with the tit hole, I left them open. Surprisingly, the little square holes were almost invisible and never bothered me. I didn't plug them with a bolt or anything.
dw914er
Im also a fan of chrome, but the fiberglass is a good alt. for a painted version.
underthetire
I sure wish i could get my tits removed to mrs.K.gif

Alas, i'm in the same boat, bent and rusty. I like the chrome look as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.