Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken rear hinge bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Left side rear hinge bolt snapped today. The barrel of the bolt has come out of the cup that is welded to the side panel and the hinge pushed rearward. I looked into the cup thru the hole where the bolt used to be looking for a nut or threads for the new bolt. I didn't see any. So what does the new bolt screw into??? Also, the old bolt broke at the threads. Where did the threaded piece go???
Sorry for the stupid questions. I had this happen before on a 71 way back in 1976. Can't remeber what happened with the bolt. Thanks for the help.
McMark
This should help:

IPB Image
EJP914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 9 2010, 11:07 PM) *
This should help:

Mark: Thx for the reply. Mine does not look like these - threaded part is not there. I appreciate the help!
SLITS
Mark's image is of the stock mounts and use a shouldered bolt.

One's being made now are about a 3/4 circle (a little stronger). I put them in place with sheet metal screws and then weld them.

I then cut the stupid torsion bars out and use the gas shock kit. Won't have to worry about them again.

As far as where the broken parts went ... well, in every 914 there is this black hole that sucks them in and you will find them on the moon.
EJP914
Mark / Slits: How are the threaded pieces held in the cup that is welded to the side panel? I looked this afternoon and the bolt is not broken off ( at least I dont think so) It looks like it is stuck in the threaded piece and the threaded part has pulled out of the cup.
This really is pain in the butt. How tough and dangerous (?) was it to cut the torsion bars out given they are under alot of stess. Any helpful hints? I may just go this way.
etcmss
I recently asked if this JWest product was good and thread response said yes as an alternative to original.
http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/pivot.htm
SLITS
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Jan 10 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Mark / Slits: How are the threaded pieces held in the cup that is welded to the side panel? I looked this afternoon and the bolt is not broken off ( at least I dont think so) It looks like it is stuck in the threaded piece and the threaded part has pulled out of the cup.
This really is pain in the butt. How tough and dangerous (?) was it to cut the torsion bars out given they are under alot of stess. Any helpful hints? I may just go this way.

See your PM.

I would drill out the spot welds on the broken bracket and weld a new bracket in. I generally mark the center of the bracket with a punch thru the bolt mounting hole before I drill the spot welds. Then I run a long bolt thru the new bracket after I have ground a point on it to locate it properly. I then drop a couple of sheet metal screws in to hold it in position and weld around the edges.

My backyard barbarian shade tree mechanic method.
McMark
I posted all about my hinge replacement here.
Larouex
I like the JWest hinge upgrade and the Camp914 Shox (and removing the stock torsion bars), makes for a smooth trunk operation and works much better IMO.

Larouex
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(etcmss @ Jan 11 2010, 07:21 PM) *

I recently asked if this JWest product was good and thread response said yes as an alternative to original.
http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/pivot.htm

agree.gif mine did exactly what you describe... the mioddle part, with the bolt looked like it was shot with a .44 mag.

get the jwest hinges, they allow you to adjust for perfect fit.
wobbletop
Looks like the same hinge let go on my car last weekend. The weld failed at the top of the hinge.

I'm looking to replace with JWest hinge, but read something about it not being compatible with the oil tank on a 914/6. Can anyone confirm?

Vysoc

I had the same thing happen on my passenger side, hinge broke off at the weld, replaced it with another the PO had in one of his many boxes of parts that he had for items needing attention. Welded it back in and bolted it right up. Also replaced a jerry rigged engine hinge bracket with a real factory one that we welded back in.
While in there I got rid of the trunk torsion bars....watch your fingers, and installed the Camp 914 system, I changed some of the hardware around to meet my own personal tastes and have enjoyed a trouble free hinging system for the trunk and engine lid.

Vysoc flag.gif
IronHillRestorations
Whenever I replace the hinge cups I add welds to the threaded insert. They are just spot welded and do break loose.
jeffdon
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 12 2010, 07:58 AM) *

Whenever I replace the hinge cups I add welds to the threaded insert. They are just spot welded and do break loose.

You know, my 72 has the cups as shown, but one side is threaded, the other has a shaft with a hold for a cotter. Whats up with that???
IronHillRestorations
You've got a bogus repair on the side with the cotter pin. Not to say it doesn't work like that though.
jeffdon
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 12 2010, 11:36 AM) *

You've got a bogus repair on the side with the cotter pin. Not to say it doesn't work like that though.

Thats interesting. EVen thought the car is fully painted now, I have been thinking the J-west hinges can still be retrofitted. Allready running the shock kit. I just like the adjustability, my trunk is still standing a little high up towards the front.
wobbletop
The jwest bolts will interfere with the 914-6 oil tank. I guess you could still use it but would require welding.

wobbletop
And to add to my post... since replacing it with an original piece would also require welding (which I can't do myself), I think I might as well buy the JWest upgrade.

Am I missing anything in my reasoning?

(I'm in the same boat... my passenger side hinge mount broke off)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.