914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
johannes
tricky part

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 17 2010, 08:01 AM) *

Somebody mentioned a tailgate 914... idea.gif

Easy to make that into a trailer. Find an old back half car, with some tubing and sheet metal it could be a bbq and cooler.

Being towed behind the limo.....man that thing would never end.

BTW nice work on the limo guys. That is simply amazing how well it is fitting together. Some great thinking has gone into this project!

I really like the stock lines. Beautiful actually.

Oh Rob... Safety glasses are cheap at Home Depot, so are those nice mechanics work gloves. I swear that you'll save your hands, amazing how that little bit of cloth will allow you a warning before the grinder or whatever cuts into flesh.
Randal
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 18 2010, 06:17 AM) *

Photoshopped a few hours ...

The images are very large. Click to watch them at full size.

Click to view attachment

Nice work! Car sure looks great in black.
flipb
I'm sure it adds complexity, but you've got to find a way to have separate targa tops for front and rear.
IPB Image
kenshapiro2002
Andy...Hurry up...kick his ass...demean...belittle...pleeeeease! Otherwise I'll think you're anti-semitic! Lay him out dude!!! poke.gif

QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 18 2010, 09:17 AM) *

Photoshopped a few hours ...

The images are very large. Click to watch them at full size.

Click to view attachment

dlo914
Once everything gets sorted out, you guys should add a powered rear window for the first half of the car. Maybe source the system out of a Honda Del Sol. It would so complete the whole limo theme.
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 18 2010, 06:18 AM) *

That is close to the current plan. Except, we're thinking about darker, smoked windows in the rear.

thumb3d.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 18 2010, 06:55 AM) *

Andy...Hurry up...kick his ass...demean...belittle...pleeeeease! Otherwise I'll think you're anti-semitic! Lay him out dude!!! poke.gif

av-943.gif

Actually, this is all your fault anyways ... poke.gif

I was told by my co-limo-workers that i was out of line so this time i actually asked for opinions.

We're still debating the roof section. We're open to suggestions.

Sorry to burst your anti-semitic bubble, not going to happen on my watch.
bye1.gif Andy
Katmanken
Andy,

Don't know if you have an Engineer on the job but a quick hand calculation can tell you a lot.

I looked up the maximum deflection formula for a beam (the longs) supported at each end (the wheels) and subjected to the big butt test. The maximum deflection of the long will be directed down at the center of the beam equidistant from the wheels whenever the big butted person stands at the center of the car.

The formula is:

Deflection = weight (of big butt) times the longitudinal length ^3 (CUBED)
divided by 48 times Youngs modulus times the moment of inertia for the long.

What this tells us is deflection from the big butt test is a function of the CUBE of the length of the long.

What does that mean?

If the length of the longitudinals is one normal length then one cubed is 1*1*1=1 unit of deflection from a big butt.

If the length of the longs is doubled, then the length used in the equation is twice as long. So 2*2*2=8 times the deflection from the same big butt.

So it's the CUBED length in the equation that's going to give you 8 times the deflection (with the big butt test) when you double the long length.

Might be a little bouncy unless you put in some extra steel.
jim_hoyland
Very nice ! smile.gif Have you considered installing a rumble seat into the rear trunk ? If the limo was used in a parade, dignitaries would need a conspicious place to ride. When not in use, the rear trunk lid would look normal
Plus, you could get seating for two more ...

Can't wait to see the progress pics

SirAndy
QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 18 2010, 09:59 AM) *

Don't know if you have an Engineer on the job

We do but he does not have a big butt ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: The center area where the two longs meet will be supported by the joined together targa bar and door posts and lots of additional bracing and metal ...

Katmanken
Good. Didn't want you to be real surprised if it bounces a lot.

You would be amazed how few engineers bother to do a quick hand calculation for a "reality check". I can't tell you how many times I've seen it done.

Got a fat bottom chick? They work almost as well and are much more entertaining (in a bouncy way) when they jump up and down.....

If they are small, you might have to get two... happy11.gif

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 18 2010, 12:25 PM) *

Good. Didn't want you to be real surprised if it bounces a lot.

You would be amazed how few engineers bother to do a quick hand calculation for a "reality check". I can't tell you how many times I've seen it done.

Got a fat bottom chick? They work almost as well and are much more entertaining (in a bouncy way) when they jump up and down.....

If they are small, you might have to get two... happy11.gif

Now I am hearing Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls in my head.

Thanks...... dry.gif
kenshapiro2002
When jew're right, jew're right...I apologize. agree.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 18 2010, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 18 2010, 06:55 AM) *

av-943.gif

Actually, this is all your fault anyways ... poke.gif

I was told by my co-limo-workers that i was out of line so this time i actually asked for opinions.

Sorry to burst your anti-semitic bubble, not going to happen on my watch.
bye1.gif Andy

grantsfo
QUOTE(johannes @ Jan 18 2010, 06:18 AM) *

IPB Image
I like this one the best! Great work guys!
McMark
agree.gif That's pretty close to what we're looking at doing.
7TPorsh
How about a dual cowl pheaton? Cozy

Click to view attachment
Sleepin
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 18 2010, 02:06 PM) *

How about a dual cowl pheaton? Cozy

Click to view attachment

The back portion needs a steering wheel? poke.gif
MartyYeoman
Sweet work people!!!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
rick 918-S

I have a suggestion for the top. fibre Glass a windsheild frame to the back of the front targa top so you can slip the rear targa top into the front one.

By using two tops and sectioning them together you could make up the difference in length for the rear compartment.

Because the front targa top archs downward at the targa bar you will need to reshape it to get a clean straight line to the rear top section.

This will allow the removal of the rear targa top then the front targa top. The only problem will be storage....
grantsfo
These guys had similar ideas and capability. Like some of thier touches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6dCuz34LRU
Krieger
I like the second steering wheel idea, BUT it should turn the rear wheels! driving.gif Imagine the fun! piratenanner.gif
McMark
We thought about leaving the pedal system in the rear car for some fun hyjinks. Front seat steers, bake seat works the gas/brake/clutch and shifts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 21 2010, 10:28 PM) *

We thought about leaving the pedal system in the rear car for some fun hyjinks. Front seat steers, bake seat works the gas/brake/clutch and shifts.

And don't forget the parking brake in the rear!
biggrin.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 22 2010, 01:28 AM) *

Another Top Gear Episode except their cars were welded top to bottom...steering in the top, pedals in the bottom and a system of shouting back and forth.
maf914
QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 18 2010, 09:59 AM) *

Might be a little bouncy unless you put in some extra steel.

No problem. Just bring Eric Shea in as a sub-contractor. I'm sure he could supply an inner-long-limo reinforcing kit for the project! laugh.gif

Great project, Andy and Mark. Good luck with it. And please keep the photos coming.
Rod
Can't believe you are actually making this happen! Love the way you have challed one chassis to 'slot' the other in - this is well on it's way to a superb looking limo. If you can make it look factory I take my hat off to you all.

Now get that V8 lined up to power it biggrin.gif
Rand
...with an automatic.
carr914
When done, you can challenge this other VW to a race

Click to view attachment
RJMII
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 25 2010, 08:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

My wife said "It's a friggin millipede, it should have more tires."
kenshapiro2002
Tell your wife millipedes don't have tires at all! lol-2.gif

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 26 2010, 02:03 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 25 2010, 08:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

My wife said "It's a friggin millipede, it should have more tires."

SirAndy
Houston, we have a Roller! smilie_pokal.gif

No pics from me, McMark took some as did Jeff Keyzer. You'll have to wait until they get around to upload the pics and video.

This went a lot smoother than i had anticipated, we leveled the two halfs, pushed them together, squared the whole thing and welder.gif , voila!

This is gonna be soooo much fun.
w00t.gif Andy
tod914
Going with the Warner brother's dixie cup and string intercom? Or perhaps something alittle more high tech
montoya 73 2.0
popcorn[1].gif
silver74insocal
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 30 2010, 07:41 PM) *

Going with the Warner brother's dixie cup and string intercom? Or perhaps something alittle more high tech

i can probably get a deal on a good video intercom system if you guys need it just lemme kno. i would be glad to contribute to this piece of 914 history beer.gif Dave
SirAndy
Hey Jeff (Mr. Mighty Ohm, leader of the Resistance):

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
Dr Evil
"Leader of the resistance"

Brilliant av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 30 2010, 11:42 PM) *

Hey Jeff (Mr. Mighty Ohm, leader of the Resistance):

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif Andy

agree.gif
cheer.gif cheer.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

SirAndy
McMark emailed me his pics, so here it goes ... cheer.gif

We added bracing to the inside of the longs on the front portion of the limo and used that to get the two halves tacked together initially.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
After that, we welded support plates on the outside of the longs and added (temporary) bracing to the top sail-panel to doorjamb and firewall to triangulate the whole mid-section.

This turned out to be plenty strong! w00t.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
And here she is, rolling for the first time! aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
Leftovers ...

kenshapiro2002
poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Next weekend, we'll be taking out the front firewall and add some nice support to the longs at the mid-section.
This will also give us an idea of what is needed to mate the two floorpans and the center tunnels.

If we have time, we'll start addressing the sail-panel area.

I'm still amazed at how well the two parts line up. It looks like everything will be pretty straight forward. The only thing that needs some extra attention is the fact that the door-post for the rear is about 1" higher than the fender near the front door handle. We'll have to find a way to blend those together.
smash.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 31 2010, 11:06 AM) *

You could have waited for my next post. The one were i just said that we're going to cut out the whole front firewall anyways. So who cares if it's rusted ...

poke.gif Andy
siverson
Looks like fun!
Gint
That's gonna be a riot to ride around in!
Jacob
I am trying to fix the rotted area where the bumper bolts on. I sure could use that part of the front end. That is a complicated part to shape.

Click to view attachment
kenshapiro2002
Isn't that as evil as McCain dumping his first wife just because she got disfigured in a car wreck (not a 914)?

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2010, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 31 2010, 11:06 AM) *

You could have waited for my next post. The one were i just said that we're going to cut out the whole front firewall anyways. So who cares if it's rusted ...

poke.gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(Jacob @ Jan 31 2010, 11:57 AM) *

I am trying to fix the rotted area where the bumper bolts on. I sure could use that part of the front end. That is a complicated part to shape.

PM McMark ... The red car was hit in the front, but that corner piece might still be usable.

shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.