Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build Thread: 914 Limousine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
nomore9one4
icon8.gif This looks like an amusement park ride. I bet if that door feel on you you would be dead! huh.gif
ConeDodger
Nice haircut Mark! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
Today we finished the rear floorpan and did some cleanup on the crossmember.

There was a lot of fab-work involved and it took the whole day, but it was well worth it. The transition between the rear floorpan and the front floorpan turned out really nice and it'll enable us to do a clean install of the custom center tunnel piece needed.

The hole:
Click to view attachment

Restoration Design floor pan used as a donor for patches:
Click to view attachment

McMark welding:
Click to view attachment

Old heater tube outlets removed:
Click to view attachment

Patch welded in:
Click to view attachment

Me grinding down some of the weld on the crossmember:
Click to view attachment

Cleaned up and primered:
Click to view attachment

Center portion finished:
Click to view attachment

And the final shot, voila!
Click to view attachment
siverson
This is really neat! smile.gif
siverson
Are you going to have front and rear heat? Heat is always nice...
rick 918-S
VW gas heater may be in order. The floor looks nice! Strange without the rear tunnel.
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif Keep up the good work! aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 27 2010, 07:41 PM) *

Are you going to have front and rear heat? Heat is always nice...

There's no connection between the front and rear heater tubes. We *may* be able to slide in some generic home depot plastic tube ...

But that still would only mean heat to the front. Which isn't that much of a deal, considering that there's no divider between the front and rear ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy
McMark
But since the heater tube aren't connected, the whole long becomes a heat-distribution-box. With the oval outlets being the heater vents. cool.gif An Eberspacher would be a GREAT addition if we can find a place to mount it. Defrost is always a problem on cold mornings.
Sleepin
I see McMark finally made Andy work! lol-2.gif

Looks great guys!
McMark
laugh.gif Poor Andy. sad.gif
tdgray
Go boys GO aktion035.gif
racunniff
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 11 2010, 08:21 AM) *

A flat /8 sounds exciting. This would be the race motor, yes?

Funny that nobody else picked up on this. rolleyes.gif

We don't need speed, we need torque. We'll use whatever we can spare for now just to get it rolling.

But in the long term, a flat /8 is on the drawing board. Somewhere in the 3.5L to 4.0L range. It's being blueprinted as we speak.
piratenanner.gif Andy

If you need torque, go electric, for example http://electrojeep.blogspot.com/2009/01/mo...otor-notes.html

Tricky part will be finding room for 100 large-format Lithium batteries with 180AH capacity...

stirthepot.gif
SirAndy
This weekend was not picture worthy. biggrin.gif

Lots of labor but mostly unspectacular prep work for next weekend.

We scraped off all the tar from the floor-pans to get a better idea of what amount of rust might lurk underneath. They were surprisingly solid and only need a few patches.

I also removed parts of the handbrake system. We will run a metal tube next to the long and use a custom cable to simply hook the front handle to the stock splitter in the back.

I cut all the patch pieces needed to finally connect the front targa bar with the rear door jambs to get a solid, permanent connection. This should really stiffen up the center portion of the car.

We decided to change our plan of attack a bit and get the car drivable as soon as we're finished with the major metal work.
The reason being that we want to be able to find (and eliminate) any problems related to the chassis itself that would only be obvious when driving the car.
You can only test so much while it's sitting on jack-stands.

Once we feel confident about the chassis and the basic mechanics, we can switch gears and start making her look pretty.
smash.gif Andy

PS: If you want to swing by, the next Limo workday will be Saturday, 03/13 at McMarks shop in Sonoma ...
SirAndy
This mockup by Johannes is pretty close to what we have in mind. As you can see in the second image below, the center section between the two cars is a bit wider as in the mockup.

I really like the look of the small rectangular side window and the rectangular b-pillar. It'll flow nicely with the lines.
The side window will be the full width of the original triangle window.

One problem area will be the transition between the two cars. The rear of the front door is actually a good 1" lower than the front of the rear door. This part will be tricky.

We also figured out how to have a straight roofline and still be able to retain both targa tops. We even figured out how to fit two tops in the rear trunk without cutting the trunk!

popcorn[1].gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 10:19 AM) *

PS: If you want to swing by, the next Limo workday will be Saturday, 03/13 at McMarks shop in Sonoma ...

Scratch that, McMark is going snowboarding instead ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
Rand
McMark is going snowboarding instead

OT
Mark, where you going? Let me know if you are coming to one of the resorts around Tahoe, I might be able to score you a lift ticket.
/OT
McMark
Going to sit on my ass in a cabin and drink, maybe go snowshoeing. After dealing with Andy for TWO days this weekend, I need a vacation. happy11.gif poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 8 2010, 05:15 PM) *

After dealing with Andy for TWO days this weekend, I need a vacation. happy11.gif poke.gif

gayfight.gif
SirAndy
Quick mockup of what we have in mind ...

popcorn[1].gif Andy

tod914
Two removable tops Andy? Should be quite the machine when done.
racerbvd
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 09:09 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif Andy

What, no 911 brakes & fuchs??
SirAndy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 8 2010, 09:11 PM) *

Two removable tops Andy? Should be quite the machine when done.

Yepp, if it works, it'll be schweet!

piratenanner.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 8 2010, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 09:09 PM) *

What, no 911 brakes & fuchs??

For now, we just want to get rolling.

Down the road, i'm thinking 5-lug and 18" boxster wheels to get her jacked up nicely ...
party.gif Andy
McMark
The front targa top will end more in line with the front edge of the sail panel. That will avoid a weird step in the roll bar top.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 8 2010, 05:15 PM) *

Going to sit on my ass in a cabin and drink, maybe go snowshoeing. After dealing with Andy for TWO days this weekend, I need a vacation. happy11.gif poke.gif

Sweet... We are going to Reno Friday and will be hooking up with Rand and maybe Becky. Coming back Saturday though. Working on Sunday and gotta see the PacMan fight Saturday night.
Rand
ROB!! Got your tix bro. In the bag. Looking forward to Yopu and Beckster at the steakhouse (or one of another hundred venues I have on hand around here)
SirAndy
We got the front targa bar tied into the rear door jambs yesterday! smilie_pokal.gif

No pics yet as they are on McMarks camera and he's somewhere in a cabin in Tahoe right now, probably with a massive hangover ...
shades.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 12 2010, 08:15 AM) *

I love it when I see things safety wired together. Thats so hot.

Zach
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 14 2010, 12:23 PM) *

McMarks somewhere in a cabin in Tahoe right now, probably with a massive hangover ...
shades.gif Andy

Good... that dude works too hard...

Nice progress BTW..
McMark
It's gettin' there. cool.gif

The cabin was GREAT! yawn.gif
siverson
Looks good!

Oh, I meant to remind you: put in seat belt bolts. smile.gif

-Steve
rick 918-S
Nice! I really like the front door idea we talked about. That is going to resolve a huge issue.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 17 2010, 09:04 PM) *

Nice! I really like the front door idea we talked about. That is going to resolve a huge issue.

Cosmetics ... biggrin.gif

We need to get this thing driving first!
driving.gif Andy
r_towle
It should have suicide doors.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2010, 03:13 PM) *

No, it shouldn't ...
bcaschera
pray.gif ip: You guys are crazy... In the best kin of way. Still planning on having it done in time for WCR?? I hope i get to ride in this beast on day drooley.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2010, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2010, 03:13 PM) *

No, it shouldn't ...

YES IT SHOULD biggrin.gif

I'm kidding of course... your getting grumpy in your old age Andy biggrin.gif poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tdgray @ Mar 19 2010, 12:08 PM) *

your getting grumpy in your old age Andy biggrin.gif poke.gif

Actually, i was born grumpy. rolleyes.gif

Just like the other 80 million Germans ...
biggrin.gif Andy
tdgray
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 19 2010, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(tdgray @ Mar 19 2010, 12:08 PM) *

your getting grumpy in your old age Andy biggrin.gif poke.gif

Actually, i was born grumpy. rolleyes.gif

Just like the other 80 million Germans ...
biggrin.gif Andy

That explains why I am grumpy 1/2 the time... of course since I am Scottish and German I guess that explains why I can drink like a fish and be grumpy biggrin.gif

URY914
I ran across this pic today and it reminded me of the Limo project. What is the latest?

Click to view attachment
McMark
Couple weekends off. sad.gif
URY914
Oh BTW, Andy I found your tool box........ shades.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Cool!

I'll PM you my mailing address right now ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 25 2010, 06:52 PM) *

Oh BTW, Andy I found your tool box........ shades.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

URY914
Sorry, I don't really have it, all I have is a picture.
Joe Bob
I hear Brad has some time now that he's shutting down his websites....ask him to come up and you can bury the hatchet.....somewhere....
McMark
Great work day! Andy will post pics when he gets home. We got a ton done and hit a milestone by getting the side walls complete, including the seat belt mount plates. Yippee! boldblue.gif
Sleepin
IPB Image

Headrest monitor? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.