Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build Thread: 914 Limousine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
EdwardBlume
Nice work guys! aktion035.gif
black73
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 11 2010, 03:32 PM) *

The welds are solid. No need to make them look pretty .
shades.gif Andy

agree.gif Gorilla welds, strong and ugly! welder.gif
SirAndy
Work was a bit slow today. It took me 3 hours just to drive from Oakland to Sonoma! Damn bay area holiday traffic jam madness ... icon8.gif

Anyways, here are the pics.
We started work on the roof-line by raising the middle targa bar about 1".
That allows for a straight metal roof section between the front targa top and the rear targa top.
Because the 914 roof slopes down towards the rear we would otherwise have a weird dip in the roof-line.

Next weekend, we'll build the metal framework for the center section of the roof.
smash.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tod914
Will the string be used as the intercom system? Nice werk fellers, you guys got tallent.
rick 918-S
aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
majkos
Nice "Lines" aktion035.gif

Keep up the good, er, Great work! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
ConeDodger
It could have gone either way... It might have been a hang out day because the autocross at Infinion was just 20 minutes away with Holiday weekend traffic or work on the limo... Andy was the strong one. I think Mark was leaning toward the hang out day.

I wish I had my camera with me when I told Scott Yeaman that Andy and Mark were building a 914 limo. The look on his face was pure amazement.

I got the replacement control arm bead blasted for my car after it's WCR tangle with a rock. Mark will powdercoat it later.
RJMII
Are those threaded rods holding up the roof? (pre weld pictures)

It looks like you welded a nut to the roll bar, then adjusted with a threaded rod... smile.gif

Oh, and the project is still looking great! I've been enjoying the build, thanks again for sharing. smile.gif
corsepervita
cool project - will be interesting to see how it ends up when it is finished
roadster fan
You guys are Crazy!!!!!

And I mean that in a good way. Man, I can't wait to get a ride in that. The stuff of legends!

Jim
McMark
Yeah, we used threaded rod to set the height of the rollbar. The top was latched on, front and back to keep everything stable. Then we ran a string from the front of the car to the back of the car to approximate the desired roofline. Then we brought up the targa bar to get close to the line, exactly where we wanted it. With this technique, we could test different heights, look at things from across the room, and take measurements to make sure everything was matched.
SirAndy
The donor parts car has arrived ....

sawzall-smiley.gif Andy

IPB Image
McMark
This project needed a bit of a kick start. I think this will do the trick... shades.gif
ConeDodger
You got an extra case with it??? Hmmmm... What diabolical projects could we do next??? Oh, and how did you get from Napa to Hwy. 5 and back to Sonoma by 10am?
markb
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 7 2010, 11:03 AM) *

This project needed a bit of a kick start. I think this will do the trick... shades.gif

drooley.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 7 2010, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 7 2010, 11:03 AM) *

drooley.gif

agree.gif agree.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 7 2010, 12:36 PM) *

You got an extra case with it??? Hmmmm... What diabolical projects could we do next???

Flat 12 cylinder? happy11.gif
Brent
This car is going to hit the show circuit for sure, when not being utilized by members.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 7 2010, 12:36 PM) *

You got an extra case with it??? Hmmmm...

914Limo could remain mid-engine and the lump could be mounted in the new mid-section (think 944 differential), this would allow a 'rumble seat' using the engine bay as the foot well and the rear trunk lid could reverse hinge. Talk about a hood ride...

The weight balance however would remain perfect.

yikes.gif

McMark
The six isn't actually going to power the limo. It's just a fancy looking seat. tongue.gif
Krieger
I still have those rear bilsteins for you. Im gonna wait till my car is painted then Ill get them to you if you still want them
arkitect
Mark and Andy,
Cool build thread, can't wait to see it finished.

Dave biggrin.gif
McMark
Andy, absolutely. aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
So, did anything get done today? Do tell oh Big Brained One!
McMark
Yes. ph34r.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 10 2010, 08:51 PM) *

Yes. ph34r.gif

Ahh... Stealth work. I see he said without seeing anything at all...
SirAndy
Here are a few pics. I got off to a late start due to me signing the lease to my new house this AM.

We did some more work on the roof-line and the sail-panel/side-window area today.

Unfortunately, the front angle and rear angle of a 914 side-window are not the same. We came up with a compromise where the center sail panel will be slightly wider on top and the front rectangular window on the rear door will also be slightly wider on top.
That will take care of the difference in angle.

Below are the pics of the guts of the new sail-panel ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
johannes
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 10 2010, 11:39 PM) *

Unfortunately, the front angle and rear angle of a 914 side-window are not the same. We came up with a compromise where the center sail panel will be slightly wider on top and the front rectangular window on the rear door will also be slightly wider on top.
That will take care of the difference in angle.

I also noticed that and I had to cheat when drawing this. All angles are changed to the same. That means custom side windows ...

Click to view attachment

plymouth37
Absolutely love it! Good work guys!
rick 918-S
Nice work guys!
McMark
We also came up with an oil tank plan for the six. I had a few ideas that I've been mulling over for years and we talked them out and changed a few things and now we have a plan. Exciting things to come.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 11 2010, 09:17 AM) *

We also came up with an oil tank plan for the six.

thumb3d.gif

Can't wait to see that one. I think i'll work great ...
piratenanner.gif Andy
Project 6
Let's see a current side view of the whole car!
scotty b
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jul 11 2010, 11:04 AM) *

agree.gif Roll that puppy outside and snap a few smile.gif
dw914er
project is coming along nicely!!!
dw914er
project is coming along nicely!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 11 2010, 02:27 PM) *

We need a drivers door first. The sideview doesn't work without both doors ...
shades.gif Andy
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 11 2010, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 11 2010, 02:27 PM) *

We need a drivers door first. The sideview doesn't work without both doors ...
shades.gif Andy

Do you not have a door at all? If you can't get one closer I have a couple here. There heavy but I think they could ship Greyhound pretty cheap. LMK.
Krieger
The Bilsteins are yours!
zx-niner
Will be delivering two doors this Saturday . . .

Click to view attachment
McMark
mueba.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Jul 11 2010, 11:26 PM) *

Will be delivering two doors this Saturday . . .

Click to view attachment

Cool
sixnotfour
Lookin Good
sorta dejavu
http://www.facebook.com/pages/PEGASUS-BUGS...7&ref=album
MBowman325
Been away for a bit..

So, how is it progressing?

biggrin.gif
SirAndy
Da Modor! 2.7L

Yeah cheer.gif

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I'm prepping the engine bay for the aftermarket bulkhead mount right now. We should be ready to test fit the engine next weekend. ...

smash.gif
johannes
WOW !!! that limo will rock ! ... You are the master !
KaptKaos
Damn. That limo is gonna haul!
Chris Hamilton
Andy, you should come get the paperwork at some point. My emails and PMs don't seem to be getting through.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.