kenshapiro2002
Click to view attachment
kenshapiro2002
Needed more "B" pillar!
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 09:06 AM) *

flipb
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 09:06 AM) *

Nice work, Ken. Now mock up a pimped-out version with running lights on the pillars, a hot tub in the back, and spinners.

In all seriousness, without lifting the ride height, is this car going to have a severely limited breakover angle?

PS - I like the thin B-pillar better. OR maybe somewhere between original and the wide version.
kenshapiro2002
Sorry...needed full tint! aktion035.gif

Sleepin
QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 11 2010, 07:16 AM) *

In all seriousness, without lifting the ride height, is this car going to have a severely limited breakover angle?

agree.gif
Gonna need to bag it! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
nsr-jamie
This is going to be fun to watch, I am voting for Tangerine and classic leather interior, also you need to get some Fuchs on there for sure
kenshapiro2002
Sorry...just went for "bling" 21s and a hot tub...just FUCHing around.
Click to view attachment
Spoke
Ken,

Nice mockup. Maybe angle the rear of the B-pillar to match the front of the B-pillar.

914's turn heads. This one will...well...I'm not sure what type of reaction this one will get.
kenshapiro2002
You are right...much better.
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 11 2010, 09:55 AM) *

Ken,

Nice mockup. Maybe angle the rear of the B-pillar to match the front of the B-pillar.

914's turn heads. This one will...well...I'm not sure what type of reaction this one will get.

kenshapiro2002
OK...forget the bling wheels and hot tub...this is serious, right? It's a 914 so the Fuchs stay. Here she is with the newest "B" pillar.
Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
In order for the rear windows to work, you need to do something else to fill the gap at the B piller. I don't think you want to try to redesign the rear doors, it would be much easier to use the stock window.

Of course, you need to put power windows in! A center privacy glass window should be easy to fabricate - that's just a straight up and down slide.
kenshapiro2002
Good observation...now the doors and glass are stock.
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 11 2010, 10:30 AM) *

In order for the rear windows to work, you need to do something else to fill the gap at the B piller. I don't think you want to try to redesign the rear doors, it would be much easier to use the stock window.

Of course, you need to put power windows in! A center privacy glass window should be easy to fabricate - that's just a straight up and down slide.

rick 918-S
The "B" Pillar should be narrow and instead of vinyl should be smoked glass. Make the rear door normal sized and use the fill panel between the doors as a space filler.

Try that. aktion035.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 9 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Right now, the plan is to start with a /4 and later maybe go to a flat /8 ...
shades.gif Andy

I'm guessing it will be a big /4? A 1.7/1.8 can barely get a 914 going that is half the size of the limo. The 2.0L would probably push the limo less than the 1.7/1.8L pushes a standard 914.

A flat /8 sounds exciting. This would be the race motor, yes?
kenshapiro2002
Nah...worn out! yellowsleep[1].gif

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 11 2010, 11:05 AM) *

The "B" Pillar should be narrow and instead of vinyl should be smoked glass. Make the rear door normal sized and use the fill panel between the doors as a space filler.

Try that. aktion035.gif

flipb
Once the build is done, we must find the owners of this car and challenge them to a race. Or A/X.

IPB Image
spare time toys
QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 11 2010, 11:08 AM) *

Once the build is done, we must find the owners of this car and challenge them to a race. Or A/X.

IPB Image

That car was in Houston. I saw it on Craigslist last summer lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 08:50 AM) *

Good. Because this is not your photoshop mockup thread ... poke.gif

We've had plenty of those in the past. You are by no means the first to try their hand on a photoshopped 914 limo.

This thread is about building the real thing. And yes, shockingly, we already have a plan on what it will look like.

And we already have the babes to pose with it when it's done.
biggrin.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 11 2010, 08:21 AM) *

A flat /8 sounds exciting. This would be the race motor, yes?

Funny that nobody else picked up on this. rolleyes.gif

We don't need speed, we need torque. We'll use whatever we can spare for now just to get it rolling.

But in the long term, a flat /8 is on the drawing board. Somewhere in the 3.5L to 4.0L range. It's being blueprinted as we speak.
piratenanner.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Love you too man.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 08:50 AM) *

Good. Because this is not your photoshop mockup thread ... poke.gif

We've had plenty of those in the past. You are by no means the first to try their hand on a photoshopped 914 limo.

This thread is about building the real thing. And yes, shockingly, we already have a plan on what it will look like.

And we already have the babes to pose with it when it's done.
biggrin.gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Love you too man.

In the "I'll poke you with a stick" kinda way? poke.gif

lol-2.gif beerchug.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Sure...that works.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Love you too man.

In the "I'll poke you with a stick" kinda way? poke.gif

lol-2.gif beerchug.gif Andy

IronHillRestorations
How about "suicide" doors on the rear??? stirthepot.gif
kenshapiro2002
If you want to commit suicide just try to contribute without asking permission. hissyfit.gif

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 11 2010, 02:17 PM) *

How about "suicide" doors on the rear??? stirthepot.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 11:27 AM) *

If you want to commit suicide just try to contribute without asking permission. hissyfit.gif

How about applying "not-so-common-anymore sense" to your posts? hissyfit.gif
JeffBowlsby
So Andy,

Can you share any details of how this might look? Especially interested in how the roof line will work as the stock roof line/window top edge slopes down towards the rear of the car.

Congrats to you and the Limo team on a cool project!

Got an exterior paint color selected?
kenshapiro2002
Nobody else seemed to mind and in fact were suggesting changes...giving some kudos, etc. You're are a great help to all, and I honestly & sincerely appreciate the great deal I've gleamed from your experience and expertise...really. I hope it continues and you accept this post with no malice. But, sometimes you need to chill a tad....just a tad. I can sense that being one of the "Grandfathers" of this group can be frustrating...newbies coming in and going where others have been warned repeatedly not to go, etc. You know there's been a thread on old targas vs. new targas for example, and get frustrated when (I for example) ask what the difference is without starting a thread search on every question I have. How hard is it to just say there's already a thread without having to add things like "It's not that hard to find guys." Again...what did you lose by me throwing in a coupla Photoshop images I enjoyed making for the group (and you I mistakenly thought) that others seemed to enjoy? Geeshhhhhhhhh.
Love,
Ken

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 11:27 AM) *

How about applying "not-so-common-anymore sense" to your posts? hissyfit.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 11 2010, 12:14 PM) *

So Andy,

Can you share any details of how this might look? Especially interested in how the roof line will work as the stock roof line/window top edge slopes down towards the rear of the car.

Jeff,
we're still debating the roof.

In order to create a smooth line, we need to raise the back of the front targa top and there are several possibilities.

1| We can keep the removable targa top and shim the seals to match the top of the window. This *might* look OK if we keep the targa bar side panels black.

2| Get rid of the front targa top and add a solid steel roof that can be shaped to match the door glass.

3| Leave the top shape and blend in the rear of the top with the roof strip that needs to be added between the two tops. This could be as easy as adding side skirts that 'fake' a smooth roof line ...

4| Get custom door glass.

shades.gif Andy

PS: I'm leaning towards 2. A solid roof in the front (Maybe a sun/moon roof?) would also help adding strength to the tub.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 12:16 PM) *

Again...what did you lose by me throwing in a coupla Photoshop images I enjoyed making for the group

I see and understand your point. beerchug.gif

I'll try to explain mine:

This thread is meant to be a build/progress thread of a car that the owners (Mark, Rob, me) have been planning to build for quite some time now.
The intend was/is to show the progress of our build.
I felt you were spamming this thread with images of how you think our car should look like.

Maybe i do need to lay off the coffee, but it just came across weird which prompted my response.
bye1.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
I see and understand your point as well. The problem is one that happens wayyyyyyy too often between people, in person and on the internet. It's called expectations. You have described your expectation of what this thread would entail. I stepped all over that (not having the slightest clue what your unexpressed expectation was). aktion035.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 12:16 PM) *

Again...what did you lose by me throwing in a coupla Photoshop images I enjoyed making for the group

I see and understand your point. beerchug.gif

I'll try to explain mine:

This thread is meant to be a build/progress thread of a car that the owners (Mark, Rob, me) have been planning to build for quite some time now.
The intend was/is to show the progress of our build.
I felt you were spamming this thread with images of how you think our car should look like.

Maybe i do need to lay off the coffee, but it just came across weird which prompted my response.
bye1.gif Andy

JeffBowlsby
I would lean towards option 2.) also. I don't think the stock removable top will work due to its curvature unless a curved filler is put in between the ligfted top and the door glass top edge. Even then the roof line will have an ugly 'bump' in it if the stock top is reused.

I think Felix had great difficulty with this same issue of getting custom door glass on the neo914 project. He eliminated the triangle glass, but getting custom door glass was very expensive. I don't think he ever solved it last I heard. Flattening out the top to stretch it the full length of the limo would be as straightforward as possible, but still a lot of work. I hope there is a talented metalworker available. Maybe Marks partner?

Building the edges of the steel top to match the top edge of the stock door glass curvature would be the easiest approach, although still a challenge. With a solid steel top fixed sunroofs could be put in both front and rear - simple plexiglass panels using that rubber marine gasketing 'zip strip' just like the aftermarket moon roofs use. Not sure how to make a removable top panel, but this car screams for it.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 11 2010, 12:14 PM) *

So Andy,

Jeff,
we're still debating the roof.

In order to create a smooth line, we need to raise the back of the front targa top and there are several possibilities.

1| We can keep the removable targa top and shim the seals to match the top of the window. This *might* look OK if we keep the targa bar side panels black.

2| Get rid of the front targa top and add a solid steel roof that can be shaped to match the door glass.

3| Leave the top shape and blend in the rear of the top with the roof strip that needs to be added between the two tops. This could be as easy as adding side skirts that 'fake' a smooth roof line ...

4| Get custom door glass.

shades.gif Andy

PS: I'm leaning towards 2. A solid roof in the front (Maybe a sun/moon roof?) would also help adding strength to the tub.

PanelBilly
Can't wait to see the creature in the raw state. Show me the Limo!
EdwardBlume
For the top, I'm thinking plywood.. easy to paint or texture too!

If the top of the windshied loop can be used, it might look funny but it should work, and connect it to your custom Targa pillar. Or are 2 tops end to end really funky?
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 11 2010, 04:10 PM) *

Or are 2 tops end to end really funky?

Two tops would work fine except that the 914 roof is sloped towards the rear.

So if you raise the front top to match the front of the rear top, you get a gap at the top of your door windows in the front.
That's the problem we're trying to solve.

The windshield hoop can be blended into the middle roof section of the extended targa bar. That's pretty straight forward.

We even figured out how to store two tops in the rear trunk without any cutting of the trunk or decklid.
shades.gif Andy
carr914
Are you gonna have Neon lights under the Limo?

BTW; I used to have a Limo Company - the stories I could tell.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 11 2010, 04:40 PM) *

Are you gonna have Neon lights under the Limo?

Let me look at the list ... Yes, under car neon lights - check ... w00t.gif
bandjoey
biggrin.gif ...it's really not intended to redesign your car...unless you want a Texas Limo. High Ground Clearance, leather upholstery, and plenty of horse power.

av-943.gif

LOVE THE CAR... I want you to drop us off at Disney Land when it's ready!
Sleepin
Don't forget the Xbox 360 to play Forza III!
Al Meredith
I saw a show on TV once about a shop in Los Vages that builds stretch limos, they always have a vinyl roof because the metal roofs always warp. The padded vinyl hides the wrinkles .
Rand
Good thing 914s don't have metal roofs.
Actually I think I would use metal (remembering Dan Root's job) around the perimeter. Build the overall roofline you want, make it strong (which would be nice given the extra length) then drop in the open top options how you want. Open top above the driver isn't as important as the back... Where a large open area would be great - for passengers to stand up while cruising the Tahoe gut during WCR! Wait, is that Mrs. C swinging her top around? tongue.gif
hot_shoe914
bye1.gif Andy

maybe also toss in a couple of xanax or prozac too. I can't speak for the rest of the people (seems they did so themselves by making suggestions) but I for one enjoyed seeing the photoshop mock-up(with exception of the funky rims) photos and actually thought he was doing you a favor out of the kindness of his heart. It takes time to do those things and even though you think he was being a pain, I believe he was being very generous with his time.

That being said, I also see your point too Andy and can respect your point of view (no matter how narrow it may be) and look forward to seeing the finished product. At this point I will keep my ideas and suggestions to myself now as I believe your oatmeal already has a strong enough hint of urine in it's flavoring.

Shoe bootyshake.gif
Dr Evil
Finally, after hearing you all talk about it and scheme at the transmission clinic, it is a nice to see it progressing smile.gif
RJMII
Nice work! I want to see more pictures.(actual pictures!) I don't even care if they are slightly out of focus... poke.gif wait, who had the camera?

On the roof ideas... Would building a custom roof out of fiberglass be an option? In a similar fashion to how some of the car stereo guys build sub enclosures. Make the arches and shapes with balsa wood, plywood, etc; then stretch speaker grill cloth over it. Maybe you could build the mold that way to get the lines you're wanting, to get somewhat of a consistency.
Mark's got that vacuum pump, does he have a big enough bag?
McMark
Fiberglass is certainly an option. The roof portion of the build is going to be the only big hurdle to cross. Everything else will be easier.
Dr. Roger
Did you say you have a rough sketch? Can we see it, if so?

I'm curious if you've thought of a triple door limo? It looks like this example has a collapsible middle window or sail panel.

IPB Image

Just more food for thought.
dw914er
I can't wait popcorn[1].gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 11 2010, 07:40 PM) *

BTW; I used to have a Limo Company - the stories I could tell.....

I'm all ears. laugh.gif
kenshapiro2002
A buddy of mine builds perfect roofs (did one for his Prowler) out of carbon fiber using foam as the mock up. He only does this as a hobby and for his own pleasure. He also did the fenders and air box (looks like the fuel tank) on his V-Rod. Never seen him actually build these things but they are freakin' perfect.

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 12 2010, 12:17 AM) *

Nice work! I want to see more pictures.(actual pictures!) I don't even care if they are slightly out of focus... poke.gif wait, who had the camera?

On the roof ideas... Would building a custom roof out of fiberglass be an option? In a similar fashion to how some of the car stereo guys build sub enclosures. Make the arches and shapes with balsa wood, plywood, etc; then stretch speaker grill cloth over it. Maybe you could build the mold that way to get the lines you're wanting, to get somewhat of a consistency.
Mark's got that vacuum pump, does he have a big enough bag?

carr914
Here's your motor in my garage, I've been waiting to use it for something biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.