Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build Thread: 914 Limousine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
JRust
So do you guys have an idea of what you want to accomplish at this build party? Or are we just brainstorming ideas of what to do when we get there
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 13 2013, 07:22 PM) *

So do you guys have an idea of what you want to accomplish at this build party? Or are we just brainstorming ideas of what to do when we get there

I think it needs lots of welding.

I was going to make it today but got side tracked when my brother showed up.

I'll be there next weekend for sure. Bringing my mask & gloves... welder.gif
McMark
We're going to try and get the brakes on and bled, stainless fuel lines installed, electrical system tested, hell hole sealed up, and gas tank resealed.

I've got acid cleaning the tank now, and I've got to talk to Eric about getting some calipers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 13 2013, 09:37 PM) *
We're going to try and get the brakes on and bled, stainless fuel lines installed, electrical system tested, hell hole sealed up, and gas tank resealed.

I've got acid cleaning the tank now, and I've got to talk to Eric about getting some calipers.

piratenanner.gif
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 14 2013, 12:07 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 13 2013, 09:37 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

Equally excited to see this project get rolling again! If I was closer I'd come help and run the grill to keep the 914-limo work crew fed!
SirAndy
We got quite a lot of stuff done this weekend, mostly welding and some electrical.

First a couple of pics showing the sail panel area and the transition from the front car to the rear car.

Welding the drivers side sail panel
Click to view attachment

And tacked in place, next will be the bottom piece with the compound curve
Click to view attachment

Passenger side, all welded up and body filler applied, ready for sanding
Click to view attachment

cheer.gif
SirAndy
And now for the bad news. icon8.gif

After cleaning out the hell hole area, i ended up with this

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looks like we'll be needing an engine shelf and a back half floor pan ...
shades.gif
Gustl
just a little "Motivation photo" biggrin.gif first.gif

beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 25 2013, 04:25 AM) *
just a little "Motivation photo" biggrin.gif first.gif

beerchug.gif

Nice! And yes, we do need to be motivated ... rolleyes.gif
Gustl
well then, here's another one biggrin.gif

biosurfer1
or...
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Nice progress guys! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
mikesmith
Rainy season's started, and it was looking awfully sad and forlorn last weekend. It's quite a thing to behold in person, though perhaps not *quite* the Sonoma Ekranoplan...
euro911
Hmmm

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
flipb
birthday3.gif
to this build thread!

Since this build began:
  • One Supreme Court Justice has been appointed, confirmed, sworn in, and has authored over 25 Opinions.
  • Seventeen individuals have been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame
  • Five new Porsche models have been introduced
  • One new country has formed and descended into inter-ethnic civil war
  • Tesla Motors has acquired a factory, retooled it, and built over 10,000 cars in it
  • Facebook, Twitter, and General Motors have raised a total over $35 Billion in their IPOs
  • Over 5,000 new members have joined this esteemed forum

hide.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 8 2014, 03:25 PM) *

Over 5,000 new members have joined this esteemed forum

Hey! Who do you think you're calling esteemed!
Johny Blackstain
popcorn[1].gif
I'm most curious as to how this creature is going to be shifted, or is an auto tranny going to be fitted? C5 vette auto tranny comes to mind as the easiest solution. Also curious about the roof- multi piece or 1 giant targa top? Custom soft top perhaps?
welder.gif
Elliot Cannon
Unfortunately, the limo project was canceled and it was sent to the crusher last week. sad.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 1 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Unfortunately, the limo project was canceled and it was sent to the crusher last week. sad.gif

Damn, too bad. Guess it was just too expensive a dream... sad.gif
Larmo63
Check the date on that last post.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 1 2014, 01:00 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
I'm most curious as to how this creature is going to be shifted, or is an auto tranny going to be fitted? C5 vette auto tranny comes to mind as the easiest solution. Also curious about the roof- multi piece or 1 giant targa top? Custom soft top perhaps?
welder.gif

- Cable shifter

- Two removable hardtops, both stored in the rear trunk

shades.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 1 2014, 05:04 PM) *

Check the date on that last post.

stromberg.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 1 2014, 05:20 PM) *

- Cable shifter

- Two removable hardtops, both stored in the rear trunk

shades.gif

Cool. Hydro clutch or really long ass cable?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 1 2014, 02:24 PM) *

About as long as in a normal sedan ...
biggrin.gif
euro911
Well ... is this a dead horse.gif

confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 20 2014, 11:29 PM) *

Well ... is this a dead horse.gif

confused24.gif

No. Something is cooking.

But since McMark is the chef du jour, i'll abstain from any comments at this moment ...
smile.gif
euro911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 1 2014, 01:30 PM) *
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 1 2014, 02:24 PM) *
About as long as in a normal sedan ... biggrin.gif
Maybe a bus clutch cable would be better?
Elliot Cannon
If you could use some help with it, I can come up for a day or two. I can handle tools fairly well and my welding skills have been described as ummm... "adequate". laugh.gif
Mike Bellis
Why are we worrying about a clutch cable when we still have to push it around by hand? bootyshake.gif

Seriously, it might be time for another build party. That way it will be ready for the next WCR in 2026... biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 21 2014, 04:29 PM) *
If you could use some help with it, I can come up for a day or two. I can handle tools fairly well and my welding skills have been described as ummm... "adequate". laugh.gif
Is your hearing going too? ... your skills were described as "antiquated" laugh.gif
Hank914
Is this limo gonna be going on any track days? Stuffing an air cooled 6 would preserve the brand, but a V8 would move it along nicely! I love the idea of a 914 Limo. Just saw the NYT story on the Checker Cab reunion, and there was a stretch Checker there. Everybody loves a limo.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 21 2014, 05:33 PM) *

Why are we worrying about a clutch cable when we still have to push it around by hand? bootyshake.gif

Seriously, it might be time for another build party. That way it will be ready for the next WCR in 2026... biggrin.gif

2026? confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jun 29 2014, 09:24 AM) *

2026? confused24.gif

You're right Marty. That schedule may be too aggressive. Let's shoot for WCR in 2036 to have the limo completed. piratenanner.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 21 2014, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 21 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Is your hearing going too? ... your skills were described as "antiquated" laugh.gif

Antiquated. That's good right? biggrin.gif
euro911
Well, yes biggrin.gif
McMark
I know there’s been a recurring request for updates and I finally have one, although it’s not what everyone was hoping for. After discussing the options and reality of the rest of this build, SirAndy and I have decided that we’ve devoted all the resources to this project that we can. We’ve both become extremely busy with real life work over the last few years ( yikes.gif ). Neither of us has the time to devote to finishing this project.

We talked to a few people at WCR Tahoe II, but nothing panned out. So we’re hoping that we can find someone to pass the torch, in the true sense of what this build was originally supposed to be - a community project. There’s a lot of little work that needs to be completed, including welding patch work, before the chassis is complete. Then there’s the drivetrain that needs to be sorted out. It’s got both 4 and 6 cyl mounts. The wiring is pretty much complete and the brake lines are already extended.

If there is some person or group of people that would be interested in continuing the next phase of the build, post here or PM me. We’re not looking to sell the project, just pass it on to the next section of the community that has the time and motivation to proceed.
timothy_nd28
How much for shipping to 46615?
Dr Evil
PM sent happy11.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 29 2014, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jun 29 2014, 09:24 AM) *

2026? confused24.gif

You're right Marty. That schedule may be too aggressive. Let's shoot for WCR in 2036 to have the limo completed. piratenanner.gif

Oh, great! A present for my 92nd birthday!

The Cap'n
CptTripps
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 15 2014, 02:12 PM) *

PM sent happy11.gif

Dude...that's the best "bad idea" you've ever had.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jul 15 2014, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 15 2014, 02:12 PM) *

PM sent happy11.gif

Dude...that's the best "bad idea" you've ever had.

No, that is the best one I have posted. I have so many more bouncing around in my head first.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 15 2014, 11:25 AM) *
Oh, great! A present for my 92nd birthday!

The Cap'n
Maybe I'll get to see it - I won't be 92 until 2046 laugh.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 15 2014, 12:59 PM) *

No, that is the best one I have posted. I have so many more bouncing around in my head first.gif

IPB Image
Dr Evil
agree.gif clap56.gif
rick 918-S
idea.gif Won't fit on my trailer.
r_towle
It will fit on mine smile.gif
Mike Bellis
My wife said "NO!"... sad.gif
McMark
PM Replied. I think we've got something brewing. boldblue.gif
This actually makes me really happy. It's a community car, and now it'll be a community build project.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 15 2014, 09:50 PM) *
PM Replied. I think we've got something brewing. boldblue.gif
This actually makes me really happy. It's a community car, and now it'll be a community build project.

boldblue.gif
Dr Evil
boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.