Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canadian Owner's Manual / Maintenance Record ...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
I just found a canadian owner's manual from MY'74
it's bi-lingual (english+french) and has a different print number than the US version

I already had the MY'73 version, which seems to be combined USA+CAN, but "only" english text

the US version is print number 4652.23, the canadian version is 4652.24

it's very interesting, that the canadien version is completely split: 1st there is a complete english verion, then they added a complete french version - all together spiral bound

see the photos:

cover:

Click to view attachment

1st inner page:

Click to view attachment

1st inner page behind the english verion:

Click to view attachment

does anybody know if there were other canadian versions like this - completely bi-lingual, english + french ???

what about MY'70, '71, '72, '73, '75, '76 ???

bye1.gif

Mark Henry
The 914 was only imported into Canada for I believe 73 or 74 and up. Any earlier is what we call "grey market" and imported from the USA. Canada is bilingual and it is law that everything is printed in English and French. My '74 manual is in mint condition and there was a Canadian dealer locator/service booklet that goes with it.

75-76 manuals would also have been bilingual in Canada.
Gustl
sounds o.k. for me - but I really wonder, why the MY'73 manual says USA/Canada and is only english idea.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 10 2010, 12:23 PM) *

sounds o.k. for me - but I really wonder, why the MY'73 manual says USA/Canada and is only english idea.gif

Most likely it had a separate French manual OR this could also be about the same time that the English/French laws came into effect.
I don't know about this for sure as I would have been 12 years old, but I remember my dad being pissed about the laws, as he was a bit opinionated towards the French.
richardmosselman
My MY'72 914 1.7 was sold new in Victoria BC by Douglas VW . I have the original owner's manual with the dealer stamp on the 1st page. It, too, is spiral bound but has the words 'USA' on the cover. It was printed in Germany with print #4641.23. Canada's official 'Consumer Packaging and Labeling Act' requiring bilingual use appeared in 1974. I'm pretty sure that 914's were available in Canada from day one? Cheers, R
Mark Henry
QUOTE(richardmosselman @ Jan 10 2010, 02:56 PM) *

. I'm pretty sure that 914's were available in Canada from day one? Cheers, R

...and I'm pretty sure they were not biggrin.gif
Not sure on the date they started bring them into Canada but our Canadian 914 historian davep will know for sure.
He'll chime in once he sees this thread.
richardmosselman
Yeah, I don't really know either. Hard finding any info on the web. The dealer stamp on my '72 could've been added at any time. I'm the 3rd owner and just turned over 100K. I'd never really thought about it before...I'd just assumed that we had 914's as long as the US did. I'm curious though so hopefully davep can give us the lowdown. Learn sumthin new everyday,eh! R
Gustl
QUOTE(richardmosselman @ Jan 10 2010, 08:56 PM) *

Canada's official 'Consumer Packaging and Labeling Act' requiring bilingual use appeared in 1974.

that would explain the difference between my MY'73 (USA/Canada; english) and MY'74 (CAN; bilingual) owner's manuals

thanks beerchug.gif

davep
The 914 was imported into Canada from the 1972 model year. A very few 1971 models might have been officially imported though; I did have one. The odd car was imported by VW Canada for special people prior to that, but almost no records exist. Porsche's were officially imported in 1959, so why the 2 year delay in the 914 I never learned.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 12 2010, 07:55 PM) *

The 914 was imported into Canada from the 1972 model year. A very few 1971 models might have been officially imported though; I did have one. The odd car was imported by VW Canada for special people prior to that, but almost no records exist. Porsche's were officially imported in 1959, so why the 2 year delay in the 914 I never learned.

See Dave...I was listening in class biggrin.gif

Gustl, I looked at my book and its cover is starting to peel, not as bad, but just like yours.
MDG
The gentleman who lived across the street bought his 1971 914-6 new from the dealer. It was a special order I believe. Irish green and the first 914 I ever saw.

A few years later his wife bought a brand new '73 2.0 which became my first car when I bought it from her in '81.

And my '73 books are all English only - no French.

m.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.