Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rennsport Reunion @ Laguna Seca?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
I've been following a thread on the Early 911S Registry forum that has been talking about this year's Rennsport Reunion taking place at Laguna Seca instead of Florida. Does anyone have any information? That would be great for us if it was!
carr914
I heard that yesterday. Personally I don't like it as #1 I'm in Florida and #2 The Monterey Historics just had Porsche as the Featured Marque.

T.C.
campbellcj
I had not heard this but I'm hoping to go this time regardless of the venue.
GeorgeRud
I went to Daytona last time, and will go to the next one no matter where it may be.
Greatest Porsche event ever!
carr914
Well I've been to all 3, so I guess I'm headed to CA in October

T.C.
URY914
Loose lips sink ships. This from the Early 911 Board...........

Rennsport Reunion, nothing to announce
I thought I should put this in the form of a second post. Please do not
make any assumptions or statements regarding this event. As of this point,
there is nothing to indicate that there will be any event at Laguna Seca.
Anything said at this point is from leaked information and may hurt
negotiations. Things must proceed through proper channels and at
the proper times. Anything else could mean we never have anything to announce. As of late in the day Friday we have no event, nothing is
done and we want to protect PCNA and those involved there from making
statements on decisions that have not been made. We will get the word out
immediately if and when we have an announcement. I will provide the information here immediately.
Thanks for understanding. Nobody wants this to happen more than those
of us at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. I am the chairman of the Competition Committee. It's my job to be sure we have events at our facility. This is
an important one to us so you can be sure you will hear from me if and when
this can be announced.
Thanks very much for your understanding.
Bruce

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2010, 06:42 AM) *

the proper times. Anything else could mean we never have anything to announce. As of late in the day Friday we have no event, nothing is
immediately if and when we have an announcement. I will provide the information here immediately.
of us at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. I am the chairman of the Competition Committee. It's my job to be sure we have events at our facility. This is
this can be announced.
Bruce

carr914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 11 2010, 09:42 AM) *

this can be announced.
Bruce

I think I'm going to rejoin the Early 911S board just so I can rag on this Bruce nit-wit. 1st of all, isn't he aware that the Internet is full of rumors and innuendo? 2nd, maybe if I post enough about Rennsport rumors, Laguna Seca won't get it and it will be back at Daytona smilie_pokal.gif

Also I have no respect for anybody who works at that track after what they did to Steve Earle and the Monterey Historics

So Bruce this is for you finger.gif

T.C.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 11 2010, 12:05 PM) *

Also I have no respect for anybody who works at that track after what they did to Steve Earle and the Monterey Historics

T.C.

Didn't hear...care to fill us in?
jgara962
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jan 11 2010, 01:05 PM) *

T.C.

I think that after building the Historics into the premier historic event it has become, Steve and his group were told that thier services were no longer needed and that the Laguna Seca would handle the Historics from here on out.
carr914
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jan 11 2010, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jan 11 2010, 01:05 PM) *

T.C.

I think that after building the Historics into the premier historic event it has become, Steve and his group were told that thier services were no longer needed and that the Laguna Seca would handle the Historics from here on out.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a Winner. That is the correct answer. The Historics are The Premier Vintage event in the US and without Steve Earle it would never had started. I believed Steve started it up in 1973 and last year Laguna Seca told him to get lost and that the event was now theirs.

With everything else that has joined the Historics (Pebble Beach Concours, Concours Italiano, The Quail Auction, etc) it's not like Steve could just move his event to Sears Point.

T.C.
biosurfer1
In 36 years, he never trademarked anything?

Definitely a shady thing to do by the track, but you got to look out for yourself since you know once people start making money on something, they usually try to weed out how many slices of the pie are handed out.
carr914
I'm sure Earle Trademarked things, But Laguna can just change the name and get away with it.

I believe Laguna Seca is State or County owned. The only improvements done have been by Mazda investment.

T.C.
jcd914
I don't know any more that what has been published but it started 16 months ago.
SCRAMP will have to change the name after this year.
Laguna Seca is a county park facility and SCRAMP controls operation of the racing facilities at Laguna Seca. SCRAMP is a 501C non profit that donates it proceeds to local organizations.

Jim

Statement from Steve Earle of General Racing regarding the future of the Monterey Historics:
In response to the press release issued by SCRAMP on August 16, 2009 regarding the future of the Monterey Historic Automobile Races® at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Steve Earle, President of General Racing, Ltd., has issued the following statement:

General Racing, which has created and produced the Monterey Historic Automobile Races® for 36 years, will no longer be doing so. In the future SCRAMP, the Sports Car Racing Association of Monterey Peninsula, will organize a new event.

On September 5, 2008, I was advised that the economic terms for the agreement between General Racing and SCRAMP were no longer commercially viable for SCRAMP. I’m disappointed that we were not able to come to an agreement that would allow our event to remain in Monterey. General Racing will allow SCRAMP a one-time use of the name Monterey Historic Automobile Races® for the 2010 event.

General Racing will continue the tradition of the Monterey Historics at the Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., June 5-6, 2010.

We are very proud of all that we have accomplished with the Monterey Historic Automobile Races®, and I truly believe that we have brought something special to the community of Monterey as an event of world renown and the generator of substantial revenue for the local economy and the charities to which SCRAMP contributes.

The purpose of General Racing, Ltd., is and always has been to encourage the restoration, preservation and use of historic, sports and racing cars. General Racing events and races are for the enjoyment of participants and enthusiasts alike.
racerx9146
It might be hearsay but I was told by several participants that they were tired of the way Steve Earle handled the entrant selection and the very very late notification of entrants who had to make travel plans at the last moment. Some of these entrants from out of the country.

So I suppose popular opinion may have had a hand in these changes.

Time will tell how this will work out but Laguna facilities (lack therof) and very high hotel rates made it hard for me to attend.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Jan 11 2010, 08:23 PM) *

It might be hearsay but I was told by several participants that they were tired of the way Steve Earle handled the entrant selection and the very very late notification of entrants who had to make travel plans at the last moment. Some of these entrants from out of the country.

So I suppose popular opinion may have had a hand in these changes.

Time will tell how this will work out but Laguna facilities (lack therof) and very high hotel rates made it hard for me to attend.

I read a Grassroots Motorsports story that states they did not know if they were an accepted registrant until a couple weeks prior to the actual event.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.