Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking to sell dellorto carbs but need info first
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldscamaross
hey ive got a set of dellorto carbs im looking to sell and i am trying to find out what they are exactly and how much they would be worth.
there were a few numbers on the castings. these are
DRLA ( i figure that is the modle)
3012R i imagine the r stands for right side.
i measured the barrel throat of the carb and it was 1.758 ish or about 44.65 mm
ive got both carbs, the air filters with the crome tops, the linkage bar, and the intake runners that go between the head and the carbs. i looked on a site and the filters were around 22 a piece, the runners were around 100, and the linkage bar around sixty. ive seen them priced anywhere from 400 to 700 without the other pieces. im not sure of the conditoin of the carbs. they may need to be rebuilt.
any help on prices would be great and also if your intrested in buying them let me know too.
thanks andy
ConeDodger
I am not sure where South Jordan is but AirCooled Engineering is in Salt Lake and they would be the experts on them. They don't come up very often for sale but when they do, they sell for about $400. I have never seen them higher and particularly if they need to be rebuilt. Rebuilding and presynching on a test engine through Art at ACE is about $400.
Mark Henry
The big issue on used carbs is are they any good, they should have smooth tight shafts with no slop or thrust issues. The other one is I've seen is many that have had the bleed screws tightened in so hard that have totally deformed the seats making them basically worthless.
ldscamaross
bump to top
ldscamaross
does anybody know what size these would be based on the info i gave are they 38 40 44 what. im guessing 44 or so based on my measurements but confirmation would be great
gopack
not sure, but i think mine say DRLA36 on the castings, but the venturies measure well over 40 mm, so you can't go by that measurement alone. Please correct me if I am wrong ( I am sure otheres know much more than i do)!
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...Well a few photographs could help...and a measurement ...AT THE BUTTERFLYS....not just at the throat would help. That said ,what I think you have is a set carbs that were designed and used primarily for the...356... porsche. They replaced the ZENITH ,stock, carburators...This was a complete kit with , carbs, manafolds, linkage, air cleaners, down arms, etc. The butterflys are 36mm. This was done to accomodate a small 1600 cc engine, low compression, and stock mild camshaft. They were as smooth as Zeniths, provided a little more power, easy to tune (usually came with the correct air and main jets) for street use...and were NEW. Obviously with newer technology(fuel/air mixing) compaired to Zeniths they ran great. They were NOT as good as a set of SOLEX 40P11,s .(on a uprated SC engine.)....My opinion is they would work ok in a stock 1700 cc engine, with a very slight main jet increase...1800, and 2000 cc engines will be down on power compaired to a WEBER 40. The dellotoro carburators are very good carburators, with features and functionality the weber does not have. popcorn[1].gif murray
Jake Raby
The reason the top of the carb is 40mm is because Dell 40s and 36s use the same bodies, the only difference is the butterfly size.

A 36 DRLA Dellorto with a 30mm venturi will flow more than a 40mm Weber with a vent up to 32mm. I have used them with excellent results on TIV engines up to 2056cc, making 125HP.

When compared the 36 DRLA and the 40 Weber are almost identical, Dells always outflow Webers, by as much as 20 CFM in some extreme situations.

Our FP 914 race engine runs Dells for a very good reason, including their drive-ability and extreme ability to be precisely tuned.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif The reason I Was able to give you some detailed information about the delotoros is that , last fall , I replaced those exact carburators on a customers engine,.. with 44 webers on a 2.0 engine. The Horsepower,revability, additional rpm,s and OVERALL performance was substantially increased. The low speed 800-to 2500rpms performance was identical, and the deletoros were smooth in the transition from 800 to 2500 rpm,s. The 44 webers added another 800 rpm,s on the top end. popcorn[1].gif Murray
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.